HELP! Dipstick fell into transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
before you remove the transmission there is a way to completely remove the top cover. The reverse band linkage is what is holding it from coming completely off. On the left side of the main case you will see a large bolt head. Back the bolt off until it is almost out and wiggle the cover from side to side and the cover will come off. You then should easily remove the dipstick.

The dipstick TUBE should be removable at the base. You will obviously have oil coming out, but should be able to get the dipper if it hasn't gone all the way into sump pan.

Might be worth checking where the base of the dipstick tube attaches to the engine block. Some dipstick bases are bolted in place. Or it may be possible to remove it by another means. If you can remove the tube it should be possible to retrieve the broken end,

From others comments it seems the the dipstick blade will be confined to the dipstick tube which will prevent the blade from causing any damage ( become entangles with the gears). If the dipstick enters the housing with a steel tube that steel tube will go right through the housing . Therefore if you pull the steeltube out of the block it will expose the dipstick blade , I am sure you will be able to see a cross section of your gearbox somewhere . If you are lucky you will be able to fenargle the tube out it will be tight. If it is really tight cut a thread into the top of the tube ,then put a peice of pipe over the tube and use the thread and a bolt to make a puller and it will come out. Beats the hell out of pulling the trans.

before you remove the transmission there is a way to completely remove the top cover. The reverse band linkage is what is holding it from coming completely off. On the left side of the main case you will see a large bolt head. Back the bolt off until it is almost out and wiggle the cover from side to side and the cover will come off. You then should easily remove the dipstick.

Gordy, when you say the left side, do you mean looking towards the front or the rear of the boat? I will go to the boat next weekend to reassess the situation and evaluate my options. Would love to find a solution that keeps me from removing the transmission!

I think that's why we use the terms "Port or Starboard"

The bolt is on the port side.

Excellent. I remember seeing a large bolt on that side. Not sure what it was so I left it alone. You mention not to remove the bolt completely, what would happen if I do?

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom