Old 06-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
You can not make any assumptions until you get all the injectors removed. STOP cranking with a bar!

I hydrolocked a small Yanmar genny engine. It sat all winter without getting started. (I did get it dried out and winterized though) All three injectors were shot, probably from the water.

Bleeding a Yanmar is a lengthly process. You will need confidence in your battery and starter.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Probably bow down. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
Heavy bow down without exhaust pressure can do that easy with some configurations. Like heavy following seas on an inactive genset.

gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Water does not compress like a fuel/air mixture. If you turn over an engine that has water in the cylinders, even by hand, you very likely WILL bend things if that water is in there during the compression cycle. If there's ever any indication that water could have entered a cylinder you need to provide a way for the engine to eject that water, and that's most typically done by removing plugs/injectors. This way the water will get squirted out that hole instead of the pressure bending a valve, the connecting rods or blowing out a gasket. Sure, it's a pain, but it's a MUCH less expensive pain than an engine tear-down.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #24

City: Vincennes
Would love an update. A little worried that he’s on a gag order from insurance company
Gdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Sorry for delay, so much to do when you are trying to bring home a new boat, will get more detailed update when I get some down time. Underway now , 2nd day since starting engine. Taking it slow but all systems normal! Hope to be in Erie Canal later today! Thanks all.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:16 AM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PT. "...2nd day since starting engine." Talk about a teaser. Details ASAP, please.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
So, Pat T, how have things developed since we last heard from you?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #28

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Awesome, glad to hear nothing broke and your underway!
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #29
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Awesome, glad to hear nothing broke and your underway!
Plus me!!! Awaiting the deets.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Of the advice I received baring over the engine seemed like a good option. Guess you could squeeze out any existing water from the outboard side of the engine. So I got hold of a 3 foot breaker bar and and turned. This was back breaking but it got a bit easier after we got about 8 to 10 revolutions. We were then able to use the starter to crank over the engine. Small bits of success and I am hopeful to a small extent. I was advised to squirt some WD 40 down the intake manifold via a plug in the top of the manifold while cranking. Wait a day, and squirt some more WD40 in.
I bar over the engine the next day again and it is a bit easier. Hope.
CAT is back on Tuesday and puts things back together and while adding coolant something else springs a leak. Oh brother you can't make this stuff up. CAT sends new gasket for new problem a few hours later no coolant leaks. Crank it over with starter and it's spinning pretty freely but no start. Had to bleed a bit of air and finally it starts. Oh happy day.
I spent a lot of money on CAT service but I think it could have been a lot worse. There is still a chance I could have an issue but I've completed 2 more legs of our trip home. We did change the oil a couple of time to ensure all water gone. Seven plus hours engine time and no leaks, no vibration from grounding and all seems normal.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #31
Guru

Glad to hear. I would sample the oil you have in there before you replace it. I would sample it again after some number of hours (20?) especially if you see "bad stuff" reported on the current oil's sample.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PT. Thanks for the update.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #33

City: Vincennes
Safe travels. And thanks for the update
Gdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
On our multi-state trip home disaster struck. My fault, I got stuck in low tide not watching what I was doing. Boat listed pretty good to starboard. I tried backing out but heard the props scraping the mud and knew it was too late so I stayed put, dropped anchor. I shut down so that I would not clog the strainers and decided to wait it out. Tide comes up and we get unstuck but I can not start port engine. It doesn't even turn a revolution. Next day I check oil level and it's overfilled. Suspect some sort of hydrolock - Call CAT for emergency service ($$$). Due to the severe angle of the boat water entered the crankcase from the muffler through the turbo outlet. We drained and added new oil. Still unable to crank. Then removed valve cover & injectors on the starboard side of the port engine and found no water in cylinders. Tried cranking with those 4 injectors removed and again no cranking. I will add that we also removed much water from the muffler and opened up the exhaust manifold to remove more water. Still can't crank this engine. We then tried to manually rotate crank with big breaker bar. We were able to but this was very difficult (much more than stb. engine to compare). Something is still preventing the crank from turning easily. FYI, I am able to rotate prop shaft while in neutral so no restrictions underneath.
The only thing we have not done is check for water on the port side cylinders of this engine. Our thought is that we hand cranked the shaft enough to remove any remaining water.
The CAT guy is stumped. He returns Tuesday to put things back together. Called a few other folks and got them stumped too
All was going so well on our way home after 4 good travel days (including transit through the East River & Hell's gate) but now we are stuck on the upper Hudson. This has been a tough, expensive nightmare and not sure how its going to end but I am starting to worry.
This may sound off the wall, but remove the drive belt (fan belt) just to be sure nothing happened to any accessories. I say this because I know of a case where someone was told that their engine was seized. I removed the serpentine belt and the alternator was frozen. The drive belt had enough traction that the starter would not turn the engine. It's a long shot but worth the 5 minutes it will take, Good luck.
ronobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
Quote:
On our multi-state trip home disaster struck. My fault, I got stuck in low tide not watching what I was doing. Boat listed pretty good to starboard. I tried backing out but heard the props scraping the mud and knew it was too late so I stayed put, dropped anchor. I shut down so that I would not clog the strainers and decided to wait it out. Tide comes up and we get unstuck but I can not start port engine. It doesn't even turn a revolution. Next day I check oil level and it's overfilled. Suspect some sort of hydrolock - Call CAT for emergency service ($$$). Due to the severe angle of the boat water entered the crankcase from the muffler through the turbo outlet. We drained and added new oil. Still unable to crank. Then removed valve cover & injectors on the starboard side of the port engine and found no water in cylinders. Tried cranking with those 4 injectors removed and again no cranking. I will add that we also removed much water from the muffler and opened up the exhaust manifold to remove more water. Still can't crank this engine. We then tried to manually rotate crank with big breaker bar. We were able to but this was very difficult (much more than stb. engine to compare). Something is still preventing the crank from turning easily. FYI, I am able to rotate prop shaft while in neutral so no restrictions underneath.
The only thing we have not done is check for water on the port side cylinders of this engine. Our thought is that we hand cranked the shaft enough to remove any remaining water.
The CAT guy is stumped. He returns Tuesday to put things back together. Called a few other folks and got them stumped too
All was going so well on our way home after 4 good travel days (including transit through the East River & Hell's gate) but now we are stuck on the upper Hudson. This has been a tough, expensive nightmare and not sure how its going to end but I am starting to worry.
Another thought is if the raw water pump is gear driven, did something get sucked into the pump housing and is binding the timing gears through the pump shaft? Again, good luck.
ronobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #36
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Oh happy day.
I spent a lot of money on CAT service but I think it could have been a lot worse.
Rejoice! The boat lives to drain your wallet another day!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #37

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Salt goes WAY up the river, past Albany.

I've cranked seized engines by hand with liberal amounts of Marvel Mystery Oil or the equivalent squirted into each cylinder. They sometimes started and ran more or less fine.

RE SALT in the Hudson river...

In fact, most of the Hudson is actually a tidal estuary where salt water from the ocean combines with freshwater from northern tributaries. This “brackish”, or mixing, water extends from the mouth of the Hudson in NY Harbor to the Federal Dam in Troy, approximately 153 miles.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/hudson-river/basics/#:~:text=River%20Keeper&text=In%20fact%2C%20most%2 0of%20the,in%20Troy%2C%20approximately%20153%20mil es.
https://www.riverkeeper.org/hudson-r...%20153%20miles.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #38

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: Song Bird
Vessel Model: Vicem 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Rejoice! The boat lives to drain your wallet another day!
Haha. Very good
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Wappingers Falls, NY
Vessel Name: Dream Come True
Vessel Model: 2000 Rosborough RF-246 & 2018 18' Carolina Skiff Center Console
Andiamo;

Do not want to hijack the original thread but did want to respond to "Salt in the Hudson River". The point water is considered to be the salt front, usually defined as water having 100mg/L chloride normally ranges south of Poughkeepsie, except in times of severe drought. The sources of the Hudson River are all fresh water with a constant flow to the ocean which varies depending on rain fall/snow melt with historical information available from both USGS and New York State DEC. Above the salt front the salinity of the water is quickly reduced as you proceed north.

My marina is 7 miles south of Poughkeepsie and zinc anodes and exposed metal parts just do not deteriorate like areas south of the salt front.
Leonard Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #40

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Hi Leonard,

I just remember when I lived up there I learned there was salt as far north as Albany. I never tasted it or anything But I know when the tide comes up the river flows both ways (up near shore and down in the middle) and that was what got me looking into it. It was only 30 years ago though so I had to look up the details at River Keeper.

Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote