Old 12-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #1

City: Perth
Helm pump

Hi there, have a new (old) 40ft late 70s , with a helm pump that I can’t identify... can anyone help with this one?
Attached Thumbnails
EC8EC297-9EFD-42AC-9D28-2D88BB908207.jpg  

Billy.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to TF BillyT. However, as you have a specific issue to solve, I have taken the liberty of moving your post/thread from Welcome Mat to the area most likely to see it get most exposure.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Peter B.
I'm looking for a small favour if possible.
My son is in the RAAF and has just been transferred to Brisbane. He's interested in cruising do you have any contacts that could introduce him into the boating fraternity there. ?
Thank you in advance please pm me for security.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Not seen one like that, a tiny inline 3 cylinder/piston type like that. The ones I have seen are either radial or axial piston hydraulic types. Many with variable delivery rates.
It is possible someone cobbled it together from a small inline pump by changing the valves.

What is it installed in, the boat mfgr?
Boat model?
What type of boat, dedicated pleasure or a fishboat conversion?
Have you looked all over the parts, pump, cylinder, etc.? Maybe there is a label somewhere although they can be upside down so you may need a mirror and flashlight to find them. If a name or serial/model number is stamper or embossed into the casing maybe it can be seen that way.

If you have a boatyard or older chandlery nearby that has been around a while maybe they have an idea.

I have no idea but any info. like I have asked about may trigger an idea from someone.

Any other photos that show more other than just the crankcase?

Last but not least is what is it doing or not doing that prompts the question?
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:15 AM   #5

City: Perth
Thanks for your reply
I think you might be right in saying it may have been an in line pump system converted to a helm pump, there was a sticker on it with a phone number, but they’ve long gone out of business.
All other parts to the steering system, cylinder etc were added a about 7 years ago & are traceable.
The history is a little unclear... but may have been converted from a motor sailer to a trawler in the 80s. She has a 230hp doorman, not a common engine in Australia...
the main reason for posting is that I’ve never seen one before & also turning
to port is easy... strbd is almost impossible. I’ve greased & repacked the rudder & given her a good hull clean/ inspection,I’ll eventually fix the problem when I take the helm home for a closer look...
But if I can find someone who’s felt with these before, that’ll save me some time!

Thanks
Billy.T
Billy.T is offline   Reply With Quote