HDPE Replacement Fuel Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
I know this concept and company has come up in other threads related to tank replacement (not available in the US) but I found this video to be helpful and very informative in terms of replacing steel tanks in old trawlers. A little dated but cool to watch. It appears they replace a single side tank with two connected, baffled tanks fabricated from HDPE.

I have no interest or affiliation with this company, this video just got me wondering about alternative materials and fabrication methods for custom tank construction/replacement.

Hi Airstream345,

Much good information on fuel tank materials, fabrication, installation, and maintenance can be found in Steve D'Antonio's web site:

Articles | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

I consider Mr. D'Antonio one of the foremost marine consultants (on MANY subjects) available, and an invaluable resource to both the general public, and marine professionals.

The Youtube video you provided is, indeed, interesting. There is some very good information on their web site (Water, Fuel & Waste Tanks for Boats & Vehicles. Custom & Standard). However, the video shows a tank being constructed for a boat, with a few wrinkles that I find unsettling.

a. The company's located in England. Provided you are satisfied that they can manufacture a tank to your design (size, fill/drain/vent locations, interconnections, baffles, tank supports, hold-downs, etc.), and you can provide complete and accurate drawings of the tank, (doubtful they'd travel to the PNW to measure for you!), I suspect the fabrication and shipping costs would be prohibitive. ANY custom design, whether it's made from aluminum, polyethylene, or bubblegum will be spendy. Unless some other compelling reason can be found, I'd certainly stick with a local professional, ideally one who can directly access your boat and assess your needs.

b. Their fill, vent, and balance ports are threaded into a polyethylene boss, which is in turn welded into the tank itself. Probably OK for the initial install, but subsequent service that might require removal and reinstallation of the metallic fitting(s), or simple re-positioning of an elbow, for instance, tend to be problematic.

c. The company shows the installation of cleanout plates in each tank. That's a good thing! However, they show the plates are attached with through-bolts, again threaded into the plastic tank. Given you can't get behind those bolts to back them up when tightened, the installation torque had better be spot-on! AND, what happens in several years, when the protruding bolt heads and threads have accumulated some corrosion products, and spin out the bolts when loosened for access? Something like like a Seabuilt access plate makes more sense to me.

Seabuilt - Access Plate Systems

Unfortunately, there's no free lunch when it comes to fuel tanks. As someone on this forum states, "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the way someone has gotten away with it". And I tend to listen VERY carefully to the marine professionals in this instance. My choice with regards to fuel systems is to do things correctly, every time. Costs money, BIG money, but it's certainly worth it to me. And of course, this is just my opinion. And you know what is said about opinions. Just remember-most of them are stinky.

Regards,

Pete

Pete, thanks for the link to Steve's site, I had not found that one yet.

FWIW - I'm not considering ordering tanks from England, just was intrigued at the concept of custom, plastic replacement tanks for old trawlers. Surprised this isn't something we see more often.

I also found the video informative from a R&R perspective.

I like the idea of no corrosion in the plastic tanks.

The thing I like best about my pkastic tanks is being always able to see the exact fuel level.

Really nice when filling the tanks or getting the last bit out of them.

Corrosion of metal fittings into plastic well is not of any concern if you prevent the corrosion by using metals that do not tend to corrode in fuel. And you can certainly use a sealer on those threads. Plastic HDPE is going to be very yielding and move with a corroding connector, I just don't see corrosion being of any legitimate concern. If your going to use mild steel fittings and the tank get wet, well you should know that is going to be a problem with any kind of tank material. Still you can seal the threads.

I was referring to the lack of corrosion in the tank material, not the fittings in particular. I have steel tanks in my boat that are probably rusting away at this moment...

My plastic tanks came with stainless and or aluminum fittings...not a hint of corrosion in 4 years.

Way less chance than a belly tank in a center console that have tank maintenance decades later with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom