Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Has everyone converted to Temet 25 yet?

Seems to be a good alternative to Aquamet22, especially if you have a marginal shaft diameter for the torque resistance needed.

https://www.teignbridge.co.uk/wp-con...terial-opt.pdf
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No I haven't, but then I've never worn out or corroded badly a shaft. Both of my boats have 17+ year old shafts. With proper anodes, shaft deterioration is a non issue.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Guru

I had some fairly significant pitting in the stuffing area on my 30 y/o shafts. I had to go with PSS due to that. Also, the move to diesels in my last boat were complicated by the need to increase the shaft size. It looks like the Temet works with one shaft size down keeping about the same strength.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
I had some fairly significant pitting in the stuffing area on my 30 y/o shafts. I had to go with PSS due to that. Also, the move to diesels in my last boat were complicated by the need to increase the shaft size. It looks like the Temet works with one shaft size down keeping about the same strength.
While we could start a whole separate thread on this, I'm a firm believer that larger shafts and longer cutlass bearings are better for the otherwise same drivetrain. It's my opinion that the wear effect between shaft and cutlass bearing is reduced with a larger shaft. Also feel there is less likelyhood of the shaft whipping with a bigger shaft.

When I repowered my boat, I reduced the HP from 450 to 135. Very briefly considered reducing the shaft size as it would give a much larger selection of propellers new and used. While it's ridiculous overkill, it's unlikely I'll ever have to pull the 2.5" shaft or the 12" long cutlass bearing that's attached to my 135 HP motor.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While we could start a whole separate thread on this, I'm a firm believer that larger shafts and longer cutlass bearings are better for the otherwise same drivetrain. It's my opinion that the wear effect between shaft and cutlass bearing is reduced with a larger shaft. Also feel there is less likelyhood of the shaft whipping with a bigger shaft.

When I repowered my boat, I reduced the HP from 450 to 135. Very briefly considered reducing the shaft size as it would give a much larger selection of propellers new and used. While it's ridiculous overkill, it's unlikely I'll ever have to pull the 2.5" shaft or the 12" long cutlass bearing that's attached to my 135 HP motor.

Ted
Its a good point you bring up about shaft stiffness. That is not necessarily tied in with shear strength.
I dare say your shaft size and hopefully low rotational speed will contribute to a length of service beyond our years!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I think I've written this before, but 2205 makes so much sense to use as a prop shaft. Strength of CS, SCC resistance better than 316L. Didn't know that someone was marketing it for this use.

I've upgraded a lot of shafts (pumps, not boats) to this material.

Biggest shaft was slow rotation, high torque hollow 30" diameter and 45' between centers. (A decker, if anyone knows what that is) 316 would crack and need replacing or repair every 4 years. 2205 still in service after 9 years now.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I've used monel shafts may whole life on the water about 60 years. No failures yet. My current boat has 1942 monel shafts, still going. Shafts were last out and checked about 10 years ago.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
Guru

Has everyone converted to Temet 25 yet?

It takes deep pockets these days to buy that much nickel.

I just looked. Scrap monel is over 10x value of 300 series SS.