Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Slightly off topic for SKI. Do you need to do similar for Perkins 6.354? I could not find anything in the manuals.
I think most Perkins use a viscous damper, which tends to be more reliable than the rubber bonded ones. If you can post a pic, I can tell which it is.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
...The trick was to have the end of the breaker bar in the air, about a foot off the engine support stringer. When the starter motor fired, the bar slammed into the engine support and the bolt freed...
I’ve been following this thread, we also have a SP 135. Wes, “you’re better man than I am, Gunga Din”! I have heard about doing something similar but you are the first. Holy Shit!!! By the way, congrats on getting the bolt loose.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I think most Perkins use a viscous damper, which tends to be more reliable than the rubber bonded ones. If you can post a pic, I can tell which it is.
I found a DAMPER on the parts list #32 but nothing in the service manual about replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
PerkinsDamper.PNG  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #24

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I didn't see anything in my manual about the balancer (though it might be in there), I just noticed the crankshaft pulley was wobbly and apparently it definitely needed replacement. If your engines are over 30 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if yours are shot too; what kind of rubber really lasts that long? Mark the inner and outer ring and see if they're slipping. I could make mine slip by hand...

I was also worried about the installation; called Brian at American Diesel and he said that was the easy part, just tighten it up - looks like there's a few ways to keep the crankshaft pulley from spinning while you do it.

Ended up sending the balancers to Dale at Dale Manufacturing. The guy responded to my email immediately, is very nice, and enthusiastic. He's done a few different Lehman pulleys before. He is charging $130 per, for appx 8-inch pulleys. USPS flat rate shipping, and I should have them back next week. Pretty pumped you guys told be about rebuilding them.

The bolt is standard, right handed thread. Don't think it matters which way it tightens since it's so freakin tight; also, the pulley is keyed. Word is, don't scratch the oil sealing ring. Also ordered new seals from American Diesel even though mine weren't leaking - I hope to never do this again so am making sure my ass is covered.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #25

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Proof!
You can tell I've been doing engine maintenance by the bruised thumbnail.
The seals look easy to pry out (indicated by the blue arrow) though I haven't tried yet.
My auto-sized balancer puller was too small for the job, so I had to 'adapt' it with a bunch of other hardware lying around the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
The dreaded bolt.jpg   Creative harmonic balancer puller.jpg   Crankshaft with seal (blue arrow).jpg  
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
Question, what do you mean by a 'weak cylinder' and how would this be diagnosed? The girls have 4500 hours, and they seem to run great.
Quick check is to loosen each injectors HP fuel feed line, one at a time, while the engine idles. It should slow the rpm and cause the motor to run rough.
If loosing a particular injectors fuel line has no effect, that cylinder has a problem, then all you have to do is figure out what that might be!