Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Groco ARG Sea Strainers

Anybody use these? Are they robust compared to strainers with bronze bases and threaded rods? Thinking of a pair of these for my twin Lehman 135s. What should I consider regarding size and flow rate?

Thanks!
Attached Images

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've got Grocos that look like that....maybe a bit taller, on my Perkins 4.236s. No real issues. Had to replace a reservoir once...no problem with getting one.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Guru

I have one in 1 inch for my genny. Works fine. I have one in 1.5 inch for my Lehman 120 and that is also fine.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
They are good strainers and Groco was able to lower the price compared to the ones that have a bronze top and bottom.
I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my boat.
Get it with the plastic basket instead of stainless or Monel . It will out last the stainless and you can't afford the Monel.

Size? Just get one that matches the hose size. Don't overthink it. One inch hose, get a one inch strainer.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Anybody use these? Are they robust compared to strainers with bronze bases and threaded rods? Thinking of a pair of these for my twin Lehman 135s. What should I consider regarding size and flow rate?

Thanks!
Are you changing the thru hulls too? Or just replacing strainers?

Larger than needed thru hulls are nice as reduced suction reduces clogging dramatically.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
They are good strainers and Groco was able to lower the price compared to the ones that have a bronze top and bottom.
I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my boat.
Get it with the plastic basket instead of stainless or Monel . It will out last the stainless and you can't afford the Monel.

Size? Just get one that matches the hose size. Don't overthink it. One inch hose, get a one inch strainer.
Thanks, Parks. Looked on your site and the pricing is attractive but I only saw the SS baskets. Are those plastic caps tough enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Larger than needed thru hulls are nice as reduced suction reduces clogging dramatically.
Been there, done that, Scott. I replaced all 13 underwater through hulls and seacocks earlier this year. Stayed with 1-inch on the mains.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Groco ARG Sea Strainers

I have the 3/4" 750's on my generator and on my a/c pump. Then I have the 1000 on my 330 hp Cummins main. I replaced the bronze basket caps with plastic caps from Groco. Took the bronze caps and had a machine shop drill and install a ball valve fitted for a garden hose to allow flushing the systems with fresh water.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My strainers, different brand, have similar looking ss strainers. Hard to withdraw to clean, and my fingers get savaged in the process. Go for plastic if available.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hi Angus,
I only stock them with Stainless baskets but I've got the plastic and I'll be glad to swap them.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have two Sendure Y strainers. Finally figured out they are strainers.

The SS or monel baskets were missing when I got the boat. So I went to the craft store, got plastic mesh board and rolled it into a tube. Then used copper wire to hand stitch it thru its many holes.

I have since found out I could buy new strainer sleeves, but the ones I made are working fine.

Being plastic, they will not cut you. The end cap holds them in place. They baskets are about 6 inches long and sit in a recess inside. A little heat from a heat gun helps if the material wants to crack as you roll it.

This Y strainer is from 1970 and still in good shape. Back then the installer used bronze pipe ni[pples cut off for hose attaching. Even though no expanded ends, in 45 years a hose has never come off. I prefer it the way it is since I can get a hose off if necessary, The hose attached is that heavy wall spiral metal rubber hose. one end screws into an elbow attached to the sea cock thru a 90* elbow. That does create a lever arm on the thru-hull, so I am thinking maybe clamp the hose end to the wood stringer right next to it. But it has not yet been a problem in 45 years. Other thing is there is a floor, (joist) runs along and holds plywood floor in the ER, so I could create support blocks under the end. Here I am just talking outloud.

The OEM Sendure is designed simply as an inline strainer. So could be just inserted freely into a hose.I could buy 2 more bronze pipe nipples, cut them in half and do that, then this would just sort of lay there with the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
sendure-strainer.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
FF
Guru

The Sendure Y strainer works even better as a sea water OUTPUT strainer.

When (not if) the rubber impeller dies the output strainer will catch all the significant pieces for easy removal.

No horror of the heat exchanger or exhaust components needing to be back flushed.

A few seconds to remove & replace and you are home free with no worries.

Have been installing these since the 1960's with great results.

This is true "insurance".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Mine are all upsized for that reason.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
A bit off topic but another way of reducing suction at the through hulls is use two.

When I bought my boat I wondered what the heck. Two seacocks, one either side of the keel and close to it. After a while I realized it was a good idea as on 30 years I have found only one bug in the strainer.
I've plowed through all kinds of stuff, not deliberately but sometimes one must.
Due to the close placement to the keel AND the dual point water pickup the suction at the through hull must be very low so not much will get pulled in.

Of course my boat is single engine power.

Oddly my boat is like Sdowney with bronze pipe used instead of a hose barb. I think this was done with commercial or fishboat builders as cost saving but also it was often that the specialty parts were not readily available. Those made up nipples were long enough to get two clamps on easily unlike many hose barb types. The hose can still be tough to get off so I now use a thin smear of Rectorseal #5. Still a bit of an argument but the hose releases with no damage after some persuasion.
Those nipples are still in good condition after 30+ years so they used good stuff.

Not suggesting anyone wants to modify their vessel but I found it interesting that the practice was not as localized as I thought..
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote