Old 01-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #81
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. O. This last post of yours (#80) raises very serious questions as to whether you should pursue your "plans" of travel from Honolulu to Tahiti AND to any remote locations anywhere. At least to me.

Boating in any shape or form necessitates either some mechanical "smarts" or access to assistance in a timely manner. Even the best motor in the world might fail at the most inopportune time for any number of reasons.

Perhaps an RV would be more to your liking?

I think I may have my Mr. O's mixed up.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #82
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. O. This last post of yours (#80) raises very serious questions as to whether you should pursue your "plans" of travel from Honolulu to Tahiti AND to any remote locations anywhere. At least to me.

Boating in any shape or form necessitates either some mechanical "smarts" or access to assistance in a timely manner. Even the best motor in the world might fail at the most inopportune time for any number of reasons.

I was thinking the same. Although carefully selecting crew to join on trips in remote areas could help, as you can bring people that have the necessary abilities.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #83

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
I agree with you Syjos, everyone has there own approach to the engine debate. We have twin well maintain Gassers with 2800hrs on them and never lost a days boating because of a break. ( knock on wood)
So please don’t think I’m attacking you personally you definitely have more yrs at sea than me.

The word that comes up in ever debate or forum is Redundancies, I consider twins redundant, hell nav systems redundant, anchors redundant, I have a redundant crab cooker.

There is so much debate of twin first single it seems it’s coming down to wiener size LOL.
If someone has the time and or has the finances to have twins well then why not.
I definitely am not saying twins make a better captain, but one plus is they maneuver in tight places well. My only real complaint is twins have taken up a lot of room in my ER, so a few things are tough to get to with the engine deck on. I have been on other threads asking these same questions because currently we are dealing on trawler with twins and one of my worries was access to engines..
I don’t pack anymore parts than you, but do have enough for the more common wear break downs and leaks.
I cruise the same waters as you so I’m never further than a couple days away from port.
I do like to have the ace in my back pocket to shut down 1 engine for what ever reason, and turn my boat to home or the closest dock without much effort.

Twins get my vote
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-d View Post
Okay. Let me ask you a question. Would you feel comfortable making the passage from Honolulu to Tahiti on a single 6-71 NA.
I have never owned nor worked on one of those so I cannot answer.
Honestly I would NOT feel comfortable on that cruise no matter what, nothing to do with the number or make of engines.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #85
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okydowky View Post
There is so much debate of twin first (vs) single
Only on TF.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #86
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
And because people stand fast on issues that depend, are debatable, aren't proven facts, can be mitigated, etc...etc....

Yet they post like they are facts....hard and fast....and even worse....they think they matter in the big scheme of things.

These "facts" are opinion or preference... and usually get pushed into those categories....but whenever one of these "facts" get posted....pages and pages are written to push them back into a more appropriate column.

Thus the debate rages on.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
It's a lot like asking who's better...a blonde, a brunette or a redhead?

It all depends.

Which one is better? The one you have! That's the correct answer for number of engines as well!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #88
TF Site Team

Quote:
The idea of having to change the oil in a fuel pump, with the opportunity of losing or stripping a plug or the housing is more-than-enough to keep me away from the FL120 engines. I am not a mechanic. I am more "operations" and less "engineering", even less maintenance and certainly very little "repair". I have very problematical hands and such activities while adrift at the mercy of the seaway is something to be avoided to me.

Thank you for you carefully considered response.

The tapped fitting with shut off valve will solve the 2nd issue you mentioned above, and for the first issue, the FL135 uses common oil in the fuel pump and engine sump as I'm sure you're aware since you singled out FL120's! No more having to change the fuel pump oil every 50 or so hours. Enjoy!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #89
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
It's a lot like asking who's better...a blonde, a brunette or a redhead?

It all depends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Which one is better? The one you have! That's the correct answer for number of engines as well!
You win the internet for the day!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #90
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
The idea of having to change the oil in a fuel pump, with the opportunity of losing or stripping a plug or the housing is more-than-enough to keep me away from the FL120 engines. I am not a mechanic. I am more "operations" and less "engineering", even less maintenance and certainly very little "repair". I have very problematical hands and such activities while adrift at the mercy of the seaway is something to be avoided to me.

Thank you for you carefully considered response.
Ford Lehman engines are reliable old school engines with no electronic engine controls. They are easy to troubleshoot and repair. Parts are very reasonably priced and readily available.

I would not have any other engine in an 8 knot single engined trawler. And many here on TF will agree.

Once the injection pump drain is modified, changing oil is a 15 minute simple operation.

I'd rather worry about stripping the injection drain port on a FL than worrying about an ECM failure.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #91
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Okay. Let me ask you a question. Would you feel comfortable making the passage from Honolulu to Tahiti on a single 6-71 NA.
One of the things that appealed to me about 6-71s when considering Hatteras 58/65 LRCs was that you could literally keep a spare in-frame kit onboard.

We ended up going from a 40' twin engine trawler (FL120s) to a 54' single engine trawler (CAT3208NA) but we chose the boat first based on it's capabilities - the single CAT just happened to come with it.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #92

City: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Ford Lehman engines are reliable old school engines with no electronic engine controls. They are easy to troubleshoot and repair. Parts are very reasonably priced and readily available.

I would not have any other engine in an 8 knot single engined trawler. And many here on TF will agree.

Once the injection pump drain is modified, changing oil is a 15 minute simple operation.

I'd rather worry about stripping the injection drain port on a FL than worrying about an ECM failure.
I agree about the Lehman, but would opt for the 135hp version for that reason. I can just see me clumsily dropping or fill or drain plug in the bilge. However, a modification might be just the ticket.
Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #93
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. O. While Mr. MM expressed his OPINION, he was relitively polite about it. YOU, on the other hand, not so much. I VERY strongly suggest you cool your rhetoric. This is a genteel community that, for the most part, engages in civil conversation even when disagreeing with another's opinion.

You ask questions, you get answers. Agree or disagree but be polite please.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #94
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. MM. I wouldn't jump to such conclusions, just yet. He may not know what he may not know and is simply attempting to clarify what he doesn't fully understand yet. What may seem a simple question and answer to us "old hands" may not be so to him. Patience grasshopper...
Old 02-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #95

Quote:
The tapped fitting with shut off valve will solve the 2nd issue you mentioned above, and for the first issue, the FL135 uses common oil in the fuel pump and engine sump as I'm sure you're aware since you singled out FL120's! No more having to change the fuel pump oil every 50 or so hours. Enjoy!
Yes, changing oil every 2 days would be show stopper for me. 135s mo better in that regard.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #96
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The recommended change interval is all over the map. Some 50, some 100, some 150..... Bottom line...it ONLY needs changing if there is a chance of fuel dilution....and even then it can go a lot longer occasionally without issue.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #97
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
It must be twins on my next boat, a cat. Of course there are even cats out there with a single. [emoji41]
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #98
TF Site Team

Quote:
Yes, changing oil every 2 days would be show stopper for me. 135s mo better in that regard.

Even if the shortest interval I've heard recommended, 50 hours, that's a lot more than two day cruising for most people. How many times have you run 24 hours a day for two of more days?
Old 02-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #99

Quote:
Even if the shortest interval I've heard recommended, 50 hours, that's a lot more than two day cruising for most people. How many times have you run 24 hours a day for two of more days?
It is my intent to cover a lot of the blue pacific on long soul-satisfying passages. 50 hours would be a shakedown.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #100
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Which raises a serious issue for some. Oil disposal. Longer interval changes is a lot "greener" as well less hassle.

I'm curious if a well running Lehman would suffer oil degradation after 200 hours or so with today's ULSD. I'd dare say 200 hours at 1600 RPM would yield a lot different oil analysis as compared to 200 hours at 2000 RPM.

Our engines are rated for 200 to 400 hour changes based upon fuel S levels, and any valid information from oil analysis. We do changes at 300 hours or seasonal just because.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote