The Great Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Open-d

I've been away from the forum for some time, and wonder if the debate between between single and twins has been decided once-and-for-all yet, and if so, what is the decision? I am still a bit on the fence, but leaning more towards a single than before.

Nope, and still no "right" anchor, no right way to lay out an anchor.

...and the beat goes on!

Nope, and still no "right" anchor, no right way to lay out an anchor.

...and the beat goes on!
For a Single, I like the screw protected by the keel, less maintenance, more room to move around the engine, better fuel economy. OTOH, the redundancy of twins is appealing. Oh my aching head.

I am not sure how much service one can get from a get-home engine before it beaks down. 500nm, 1,000?

giphy.webp

Why should there be a decision? What do you prefer? Answer this question and you will have your decision.

L

If we own a single, we say single. Twins...twins. The circle is complete.

I've been away from the forum for some time, and wonder if the debate between between single and twins has been decided once-and-for-all yet, and if so, what is the decision? ....
Nothing has changed, it still get`s "decided",every month.
And I still prefer twins.

I had to repower, if I would have had to repower a twin, the boat would be history now. The price even for my gasser all in was around $65,000 with leg replaced, multiple installs due to fitting problems, custom brackets made, custom exhaust made, and a host of other stuff.

You don't even want to think about repowering twins.

The "once and for all" decision is that there are pros and cons of each, and each one of us has to make our own decision based on our own priorities and criteria.

Just like anchors. Just like guns onboard. Just like pretty much everything else in life.

I've been away from the forum for some time, and wonder if the debate between between single and twins has been decided once-and-for-all yet, and if so, what is the decision? I am still a bit on the fence, but leaning more towards a single than before.

All the cool kids are getting triples these days. :D

Here’s an observation I have made during MY 30 ish years of boating at my marina.
The guys with twin engine seem to be more lackadaisical on maintenance. They seem more apt to wait for one to fail before they replace things such as impellers tune ups etc. Hence they need twins.
I talking mostly gas engines.
The ones with single have a greater tendency to be pro active on maintenance changing things before they fail cause they can’t afford to break down out there. Hence the one engine is reliable.

My observations only. I’m sure there’s other observations and opinions.

I’m taking cover now

Yes it was decided recently. A major vote of every boater in the country. All aspects of the choice were fully discussed and debated. Facts and figures were fed into a computer and analyzed. Thousands of images and incidents were considered.

The vote was overwhelmingly almost unanimous.

If I remember correctly:
Single Engine is the choice of discriminating boaters worldwide.

(But then my memory isn't very good or reliable)

pete

Obviously a computer hacked by the Russians. :)

After a lengthy non-partisan debate, it was concluded by a majority that engines are useful in a power boats. A few rag boat owners tried to skew the results but sophisticated forum members caught onto their ruse immediately.

You can't have too many engines.:banghead:

Attachments

• drugboat1.jpg
    drugboat1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 106
Nordhavn owners believe in twins. Krogen 42 owners believe in singles. OA owners believe in twins. Then as pictured, multiple outboards. And then size really does matter. etc etc.

In South Florida it is not unknown to see center console fishing boats with 4 or 5 350’s. Most of the ones with 400’s have 4, since there is a point of diminishing returns over 3. I sure would like to go for a ride on a 2000hp 35’ er, on a flat day.
Our scout boat on Lake Powell had 550hp on 24’ and it was a thrill ride!

Last edited:

It will NEVER be decided. As said now and before there are good and bad points.
I've had both and each was the best for me at the time.

Here’s an observation I have made during MY 30 ish years of boating at my marina.
The guys with twin engine seem to be more lackadaisical on maintenance. They seem more apt to wait for one to fail before they replace things such as impellers tune ups etc. Hence they need twins.
I talking mostly gas engines.
The ones with single have a greater tendency to be pro active on maintenance changing things before they fail cause they can’t afford to break down out there. Hence the one engine is reliable.

My observations only. I’m sure there’s other observations and opinions.

I’m taking cover now

I agree 100%

I tend to find those that use their boats less are the ones that are lazy about maintenance regardless of single vs twin.

Personally, I like twins for maneuverability, but depending on the boat and intended cruising grounds, a single with good prop protection can have some advantages.

I'm fine with long distance travel in a single, as a situation that forces an engine shutdown when you're miles from anything to hit is rarely an emergency. You typically have some time to sort the situation out, etc. However, in crowded waters, loss of an engine can become an emergency very quickly and dropping an anchor immediately isn't always enough to keep the situation from becoming sketchy. So for use in inshore waters, I'm more inclined to want twins, where if one has to be shut down the boat can still be maneuvered to a point where it's safe to work on the problem.

Wifey B: About the same chance of resolving these debates as issues being resolved on talk radio. :socool:

single or twin

Yes, a decision has been made, (envelope please) and the winner is SINGLE. I trust this settles the issue once and for all time.

Yes, a decision has been made, (envelope please) and the winner is SINGLE. I trust this settles the issue once and for all time.

The issue is settled only until one realizes that Fleming makes a very nice boat. Or you want to buy a Nordhavn, Hampton, Offshore, Horizon, Outer Reef, catamaran or a larger KK.

Lots of people buy twins.
Twins cost more money.
No doubt twins are better.
Case closed.

I thought the debate had been resolved and the winner being a single with a capable get-home and thrusters.

Such set up will have the redundancy and maneuverability of twins and the prop protection of a single. Although many twins have keels that hang lower than their props.

I thought the debate had been resolved and the winner being a single with a capable get-home and thrusters. .

In other words a vessel with two propulsion systems. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom