Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #141

City: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Why should there be a decision? What do you prefer? Answer this question and you will have your decision.

L
Obviously there will never be a final answer on a question such as this. I worded the title that way to stimulate discussion which helps me get my head around the issue. I am not a purist, but more, much more, a realist, and tend toward redundancy. However, my mind is still open to various points of view and discussion to help me firm-up my thinking.

Open-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Sailboat
I have considered sailboats or motor sailors, but don't like the idea of open cockpits and living in a hole in the water. like the idea of more top-sides structure and and enclosed pilot-house. Sailboat rigging, including shrouds, sheets, furling gear etc., is far from bulletproof. It would have to be a catamaran, but they are very load-sensitive and few have inside helm stations.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Enough said!
Why is it enough. The forum is here to encourage discussion, not shut it down. NOT enough said, say I.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #144
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. O-d. Sorry. You're asking the wrong person. I know little to nothing about DD's but others do. Hope you get an answer.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. O-d. Sorry. You're asking the wrong person. I know little to nothing about DD's but others do. Hope you get an answer.
I think I would opt for the 6 cyl so I had some in reserve available in a blow.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #146
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
One working engine is all anyone needs. That is why I have twins
Old 02-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #147
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Now having read this whole thread, that, right there, might yet end up being the best answer yet, when you think about it..?
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #148
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Yet it is the rare boater that begins a trip on one only.

I also assisted MANY one engine out boaters to their slip or through a narrows because they weren't comfy with one...but will admit they saved me hours of towing by limping a good ways on that one engine.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #149
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
After inspecting boats with my buddy who was shopping for a 45' cabin cruiser, I've come to the conclusion that most boaters would be better off with twins for the above reason. Put another way, if we were talking airplanes instead of boats, 75% of the used ones would have crashed for lack of maintenance.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #150
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-d View Post
Well, right now, I am looking (again) at the Bertram LRC 58' version late '70s to 1980 versions. running from $275K to $395K.

This model displaces 90K # plus or minus. Some that I have seen are powered by 4-71s of 160hp (.56 hp/ci) and others by 6-71s of 175hp (.41 hp/ci). Very low specific outputs for both.

Is that enough hp for 90K # to cruise economically 7-8kts without over-stressing power plant?
Suggest you forego the general chat style internet and use some shoe leather. On this vessel there is no choice, twin DDs. Go to boatdiesel and peruse the thousands of posting on DDs for your internet answer. Remembering that prior use and maintenance is the key on a decades old vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #151

Quote:
That is soooo funny, and true!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Suggest you forego the general chat style internet and use some shoe leather. On this vessel there is no choice, twin DDs. Go to boatdiesel and peruse the thousands of posting on DDs for your internet answer. Remembering that prior use and maintenance is the key on a decades old vessel.
The question isn't about DDs, per se. It is about sufficient HP? I went to boat diesel, and they said to come here!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #153
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:

That's a great comment.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #154
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
single vs twin

Quote:
I've been away from the forum for some time, and wonder if the debate between between single and twins has been decided once-and-for-all yet, and if so, what is the decision? I am still a bit on the fence, but leaning more towards a single than before.
I'll give you my thoughts and why.

First, if purchase price was no object and then money was no object concerning slip fees, ins, maintenance, upkeep, repairs etc and I lived where diesel mechanics, electricians, plumbers, hvac, carpenters etc were only a phone call away then I'd buy the latest model, largest, twin engined trawler with a stand up, walk around engine room that I could find. If this situation applies to you, then that's my advice.

Having said that, I'm not in that position. I need a boat that's large enough to do what I want to do with the amenities that I need that I can own without a mortgage. This is my GB 36. In my boat I required a single engine. I can walk (knee crawl) completely around it and I can easily reach all other systems in the engine room. I have my generator, engine and transmission professionally maintained (for reasons I can enumerate later if you are interested) and that runs $1000/year. When the boat is pulled I only have one shaft, packing gland and cutless bearing to deal with. I burn 2.5 gals/hour with the generator running when I'm underway. Additionally, my keel protects my screw, shaft and prop. If I ever need to replace or rebuild I only have the cost of one engine and or transmission.

If I had twins then the original purchase price would probably have been higher and all other costs are doubled. All other maintenance requirements are doubled. All other headaches are doubled. The twin engine guys maintain that there is more reliability in two engines than one. This is occasionally true but the fact is that most problems associated with engine trouble on well maintained engines is fuel related. Key here is "well maintained" . If you have a fuel problem and lose one engine, the other one is not far behind. There is a saying in aviation that goes "The second engine just gets you to the scene of the crash that much more quickly". That's a humorous and simplistic way of dismissing the need for more than one engine.

Maneuvering a boat is infinitely easier with twins and or bow/stern thrusters. I have neither and I frequently have people comment that it must be nice to have twins or thrusters after watching me back into my slip. When I tell them I have only one engine and no thrusters, they are amazed. Point is, with practice, you can learn to maneuver your boat quite well with only one engine.

If you are going to do long distance, blue water cruising or you have remote destinations in mind I might consider two engines but for my use (and most people's) one engine is sufficient and much less expensive and less trouble all the way around.

Hopefully, I've given you some food for thought. Read over what the twin engine crowd has to say and then decide what is important and makes sense for you.

Good luck and have fun hunting.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #155
Guru

LOL! Now that's funny!
Talking about LaBomba's picture.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #156
Guru

single vs twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Since you want to throw bombs, you might as well go full stroke and re-ignite the best dinghy question too? I don't have one anymore; so no dog in that hunt.
Why stop there? Let's talk anchors.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #157
Guru

single vs twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Damn, I go away for a couple of weeks and I miss all the fun, well here goes. I have literally thousands upon thousands of miles racked up on commercial boats with single engines. I've owned quite few also and while anyone should make their own choice I prefer a single. The reasons are buried throughout the numerous posts on this subject so need not be repeated by me. There's my vote and I hope I offended no one.
Wow, Pitcairn Island? Now that peeked my interest. Currently finishing my fourth book on The Bounty.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #158
Guru

single vs twin

Quote:
Are those spares along the lines of belts and hoses, or more significant parts such as impellers, bearings etc.?
All the above. If possible, have a spare for everything on the motor that is addressed during annual maintenance and then a spare of every add on as well.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #159
Guru

single vs twin

Quote:
The idea of having to change the oil in a fuel pump, with the opportunity of losing or stripping a plug or the housing is more-than-enough to keep me away from the FL120 engines. I am not a mechanic. I am more "operations" and less "engineering", even less maintenance and certainly very little "repair". I have very problematical hands and such activities while adrift at the mercy of the seaway is something to be avoided to me.

Thank you for you carefully considered response.
I've been reading this entire thread out of interest and have made a couple of contributions. When I read this post of yours I almost fell out of my chair. Single vs twin conversations are almost irrelevant to your situation.
Believe me, you are not ready for, nor should you even consider making a passage from Hawaii to the South Seas at this time. This is not meant as an insult or a dig, just good advice. There are many good marine diesel and boat systems maintenance courses out there. I strongly suggest that you attend one if only to learn how to change oil, filters, bleed the lines, change belts/hoses etc. You are seriously putting your life and the lives of those with you at risk on a cruise of the type you are considering without at least a basic ability to address even minor engineering problems.
For the record, I wouldn't attempt that crossing myself so I'm not preaching. I'm just strongly suggesting you obtain some maintenance skills before setting out.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #160

Thank you for that reply.