Old 04-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
My primaries will gravity fill with the valve open. Then about 75 pumps on the fuel lift pump to fill and bleed the secondaries.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #22

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
I use a gear oil bottle (after being drained of course) from doing work on the car. I needed a good squeeze bottle as clearance above the Racor is not great, and I figured it would good with hydrocarbons. Been fine for years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearoilbottle.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	74901
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dawn DishSoap container
Old 04-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Cheap plastic bottles don't hold up well to diesel over time. The wrong plastic will turn soft or dissolve. An inline electric pump makes changing filters and bleeding line easy.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"Wow! I had no idea ATF burned like (or similar to) diesel."

ATF is used in most diesel car and truck repair shops , as it is both clean and easier to use than a shop can of fuel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
Many common plastic containers, even lube oil containers, ae very easy to puncture when stored in a vibrating environment against a hard surface. I always wrap them in oil diapers for protection against rubbing against something.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #27

City: Compton
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"but Cummins is specific in their manual to NOT add diesel to the secondary fuel filter when it is changed."

This is because the fuel using to top off has not been filtered.

The simplest way to top off with a clean fuel is to open a quart of ATF and use it.

Any left over can simply be dumped into the fuel tank.
I use ATF on my two trucks and tractor. It is very high detergent it cleans injectors and lubes the pump. I add some to the tanks as well. I learned of this from a very good diesel mechanic and have used it for years. HTH JD PS you can install a cheap 12V priming pump up stream of your filters for about 30$$ +/_ and it will help if you need to bleed the injector system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YDG26X...&pd_rd_w=sRL0z
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
I also use ATF similar bottles tonmuir I do not reuse them

Pieyed I would love to see a picture of this install very good idea!!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"but Cummins is specific in their manual to NOT add diesel to the secondary fuel filter when it is changed."

This is because the fuel using to top off has not been filtered.

The simplest way to top off with a clean fuel is to open a quart of ATF and use it.

Any left over can simply be dumped into the fuel tank.

I don’t think that’s a good plan for any of the common rail injection engines.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Rather than adding an electric pump to prime your filters etc... This is the idea that I mentioned earlier by Tony Athens (not that he thought of it but I saw the idea from some of his articles). This is an image of a kit that he sells. I think he sells the kit so he doesn’t have to constantly answer questions as to where someone can find the parts.

It is just a loop that includes a squeeze bulb. In normal operation the valves to the loop are closed. Then you need to prime the filters you open the valves to the loop and close the valve between. Pump the bulb until the filters are full then close off the loop valves and open the center valve. No reason to buy the kit from Seaboard Marine, as you can source all the pieces individually. However for me, I’d much rather buy it from Seaboard to make it easy and to support Tony Athens who has been pretty free with his information and advice (much like Compass Marine Services).

I have not done this yet because with patience I can get my Racors to fill if my fuel tanks are full.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	74910

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
What if you need to change filters and your tanks aren’t full? Asks Mr Murphy
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
What if you need to change filters and your tanks aren’t full? Asks Mr Murphy

Exactly. Hence my interest in the bulb solution. I’ll get around to it eventually. Like all the other projects on my list.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #33
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Squeeze bulb primer, simple, safe, foolproof.
I install all three filters dry, fill everything with around 40squeezes, no chance of contamination, spills, or storage problems.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I also use ATF similar bottles tonmuir I do not reuse them

Pieyed I would love to see a picture of this install very good idea!!
I used a priming pump on a S2 36ft sailboat and on my tractor and farm truck. It makes it very easy to service the fuel system and bleed the air out of the high points. You would install the pump just upstream of the filter banks. after cracking the bleeders I use a push button switch to activate the 12V pump and expel the air as the system fills with fuel. This pump can be hard piped in to your existing fuel line if you are using a steel fuel line. This pump has a direction of flow, built-in check valves and your primary fuel pump can pull fuel through it without any problem. If your tank is below the filter bank this pump will keep the fuel from flowing back to the tank when the fuel system is opened up, causing the system to pull in air. I would not use the pump filter or the plastic hose barbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YDG26X...&pd_rd_w=sRL0z I tried to post up some photos of my tractor installation but could not make it work. If you need to see the photos PM me and I will send you copies. HTH JD
Old 04-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Rather than adding an electric pump to prime your filters etc... This is the idea that I mentioned earlier by Tony Athens (not that he thought of it but I saw the idea from some of his articles). This is an image of a kit that he sells. I think he sells the kit so he doesn’t have to constantly answer questions as to where someone can find the parts.

It is just a loop that includes a squeeze bulb. In normal operation the valves to the loop are closed. Then you need to prime the filters you open the valves to the loop and close the valve between. Pump the bulb until the filters are full then close off the loop valves and open the center valve. No reason to buy the kit from Seaboard Marine, as you can source all the pieces individually. However for me, I’d much rather buy it from Seaboard to make it easy and to support Tony Athens who has been pretty free with his information and advice (much like Compass Marine Services).

I have not done this yet because with patience I can get my Racors to fill if my fuel tanks are full.
Attachment 74910
I am sure this will work for you. You will be upping your chances for air intrusion by adding a lot of threaded connections in to the fuel system. The 12v pump installation is a lot less busy and I think it would be less $$$$. I am just saying.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #36

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Wow lots of great ideas, thanks for all the feedback. my Racors are at a level somewhat near the top of the fuel tanks so I suppose if I fill the tanks all the way to the top, there's a chance gravity would take care of this... maybe i'll try it this spring.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
I use one of these for battery water: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=1846

That’s a great idea! The purpose built battery fillers are hard to come by now and expensive.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote