Going Rate - Prop shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdsailor

Veteran Member
Molly is getting a new starboard prop shaft - AQ19 1.5” shaft 122.25” long. I’m curious about your experience. What’s the going rate for a new shaft, which would include having my supplied coupler fit and faced to the new shaft? I’m not asking about labor to install.

I’m sure prices vary. What should one expect?

Thank you.

Same diameter shaft, 76" long was quoted at $475 in Homer Alaska

The price of the shaft is one thing, and I would have guessed about $1,000, but it might take lots of work to remove the old one and install a new. Worst case you will have to drop the rudder to pull the shaft out.

David

The price of the shaft is one thing, and I would have guessed about $1,000, but it might take lots of work to remove the old one and install a new. Worst case you will have to drop the rudder to pull the shaft out.

David

Yes, I’ve pulled the original prop shaft, replaced the cutless bearings and stuffing box hose, and now I’m ready for the new shaft. I managed to actually raise the rudder a tad, which enabled me to slide the shaft out...just.

Last edited:
The shaft was pre machined for the prop taper and nut, it was to be cut to length and machined for the coupler with a new key. Since the shaft was already a length, I am sure I would have been paying for the unused portion of the shaft also. They would have had no use for the excess length they trimmed off. I don't recall how much excess length there was in the shaft.

I bought a 115" 1.75" aq 22hs (not sure of the alloy???) all machining and split coupler, somewhere around $1300 a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom