Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Threadlock on oil drain?

Going to change out the banjo bolt in my oil sump drain with a new fitting. When installing the new fitting what, if any, threadlocker should I use? Fitting will have a copper washer but don't see where that would matter on the threadlock subject...
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Knowing the dire consequences of a leak there, i would use the blue stuff. And a torque wrench.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks Dave. Will have to look up the suggested torque on it, not quite sure. Been waiting for a reason to buy a new torque wrench. It is here. Although I think that you guys will say just owning a trawler is reason enough.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I could not possibly get my torque wrench on the drain plugs on my engines. I would just snug them up like you do a car engine drain plug.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you don't have new copper washers on the way back together, you can anneal the old ones in a pinch with a propane torch. They are the part that is preventing the leaks. I know Deutz required new copper washers on all work with banjo bolts on warranty work.

If you don't have new washers, all you have to do is heat them up carefully watching them to change color slightly. This softens the copper again, since every time it is pinched, the copper gets harder with the fatigue. Don't melt the copper though.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Guru

Thanks for the copper lesson! Fortunately the new fittings came with new copper washers.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mischief Maker
Vessel Model: Uniflite CC 37
Use caution when tightening any banjo fitting bolt. it is easy to over-torque, and fracture it through the holes. I don't know that I would use any lock tight. Maybe the white Teflon type, comes in a squeeze tube. Remember a lubed thread torques differently than dry.
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:45 AM   #8
Guru

Thanks. taking the banjo fitting off. Replacing it with a straight through adapter so I can come off the engine with a push on nipple. What should I torque an oil drain fitting to? Can't find anything in the manual.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:00 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
I love these should find them on ebay

EZ Oil Drain Valve - The Easiest Oil Change
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:19 AM   #10

City: Hervey Bay
You may have difficulty getting the thread oil free and clean enough to use a threadlocker successfully.
D.Duck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I love these should find them on ebay

EZ Oil Drain Valve - The Easiest Oil Change
Have seen those but will be plumbing in a Reverso pump. Seems like another valve wouldn't be needed? Also, according to Brian at Amer. Diesel, my Lehman 135 needs a 3/4"-24 thread. Don't see that size listed. Actually I don't see that size listed for anything anywhere!
Old 05-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Have seen those but will be plumbing in a Reverso pump. Seems like another valve wouldn't be needed? Also, according to Brian at Amer. Diesel, my Lehman 135 needs a 3/4"-24 thread. Don't see that size listed. Actually I don't see that size listed for anything anywhere!

We used a 3/4 16 UNF on a 135 Lehman
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
We used a 3/4 16 UNF on a 135 Lehman
All I know is what Brian told me. Could he be wrong on that? I have two of his oil change kits and the connection supplied seems to count out at 24. One confusing thing he told me was that there was some sort of insert or something that the drain plug bolts into? I forget what he called it exactly. A liner in the hold to change the threads? I swear he told me all of this. Swear. Didn't dream it!!
Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #14
FF
Guru

" taking the banjo fitting off. Replacing it with a straight through adapter so I can come off the engine with a push on nipple."

The fear would be moving the drain hose could loosen the fitting.

Solution fix the drain hose after the fitting , so moving it does not stress the drain.

We use a system with quick disconnecting hyd fittings and a small rotary pump that pulls 7-8 Gal of hot 40wt in a couple of min..

Clean and almost effortless .

I am an oil change fan the change is only done after a long 5-8 hour day (to allow the detergents in the oil to re absorb the fines) , and our Launch is definatly not standing headroom.

But 5 min of heat is OK to give our 6-71 the best chance at a few more decades of reliable service.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #15
Guru

I guess oversimplified my explanation. Fitting in sump will come out and then 90 degree up straight. Hose will connect after the 90 degree turn up. Hose up to a little below the injectors or so and then aft to the pump. Will secure the hose to prevent movement. I guess I will have to remove the current drain plug and take it with me to hydro shop to be sure of the threads. Anyone else with FL 135's have a comment on the threads?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb. You may not have a choice in the final orientation of your 90 degree fitting. After applying tape/sealant/threadlock and applying appropriate torque, depending on the thread, the fitting may be "pointed" in any direction. Most definitely do a dry fit first before you clamp anything down. IF you have the clearance, worry about proper tightness more than direction of fitting. Clamp the rubber hose in such a fashion as to apply a tightening rather than loosening force on the fitting.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #17
Guru

Thanks RTF. I believe that the fitting has a tightening nut on it to clamp down the copper washer. Could I put the fitting in as tight as possible with it aimed up and then tighten the nut to secure the washer and the fitting? No? Bad idea? Tighten the fitting all the way and go with what I have? Seems I would have to leave a little for the washer nut to be able to tighten?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb. Is this another banjo fitting? If so, the I would say yes. Orient then tighten. As I said above, IF it is a solid 90 degree, you may not have a choice. Perhaps a picture of the fitting would make things a bit clearer...

Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
Guru

No not another banjo. Trying to get rid of the banjo as the restriction is too small for oil change pump. Simple straight thru with 1/2" female on the other side. Copper washer inbetween sump wall and nut. Will take a picture today (took to boat) and post.

There is a "Came to Trawler Forum with a banjo on my...." joke or meme in here somewhere...
Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #20
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
One way is to take the plug out and drill and tap it for NPT. My Cummins uses 3/8" NPT fittings and I think 1/2" hose and it flows just fine for a five gal oil change.

Whatever thread it is, it sounds like a straight thread and not tapered. So something, whether a plug or banjo, needs a shoulder for a copper gasket.

With the right fitting, I would not bother with a thread lock compound.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote