Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Guru

City: kemah
seafoam will help with glazing and coked rings if thats the problem, you can run the gen on it alone. if you can get a small borescope in the injectors hole you may be able to see if its glazed.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #22

I am not recommending this solution because my experience with it is far too old to remember the precise details, but I present it only to support the possibility of a simple "snake oil" like solution to cylinder glazing.
In the early 1970's we had some new Cat motor graders with a totally new engine design (if I remember correctly they were the first series of 3406's). They had chrome faced rings, and in some new engines the rings simply would not seat, with resulting huge blowby and oil consumption. In due course Cat came up with a "kit" to correct this problem. The "kit" came in an official Cat box, with an official Caterpillar part number. Inside the box was a can of Bon Ami cleaner, and an instruction sheet telling you to remove air cleaner, shake the Bon Ami into the intake of the running engine, change oil and carry on. It worked.

Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane (boats on the Gold Coast)
Vessel Name: Hassall Free
Vessel Model: Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
When I was looking at buying my current boat, I asked a mate of mine who works on massive power generation units for the mines all over Australia, about what to look for with the old Onan 6.5kw genset installed on the boat. He told me not to worry if the Onan had glazed bores, he said he would just load up the generator with load and shove some Ajax powder cleaner into the air intake which would scour the bore, I looked at him with disbelief, but he assured me that was what they do in the power generator industry with glazed bores, anyhow my Onan checked out ok, but I load it up everytime I run it

Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote