Generator Strainer Clogging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolena

Guru
Vessel Name
Carolena II
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
We have hit the time of year when the waters here have lots of hydrilla and grass floating around. This past weekend, I had to clear the genny strainer three times in five hours. We had several boats with us whose generators actually shut down (after destroying the impellers). Short of an external strainer at the thruhull intake, which could bring its own fouling problems, any suggestions? I've been keeping a close eye on the genny temp and shut it down as soon as it even starts to get above normal to clean the strainer, thus saving impeller replacements, and don't run it while we are sleeping. Just wondering if there is anything else we can do.

Mine was clogging often when I first bought my boat.
I changed from a plain 3/4 thru hull to a 1 1/4 with a scoop strainer (scoop facing aft) and also changed to a larger strainer.
Has not shut down due to a clog since.

I've thought about a bigger strainer, so we could at least go a bit longer between cleanouts. Odd thing is that our main and AC strainers have never clogged (knocking on wood). I think it is because they are both located close to the keel, while the genny is located about halfway between the keel and waterline. It was crazy hot this Sunday, so the genny and AC got a really good workout. We even ran it on the way back to the dock. First time in three years that we have had the genny running while underway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom