Old 04-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Perkins Parts

I am finishing up some maintenance on my Perkins (4.108) powered generator. It started with a concern with the age of the raw water pump impeller which required the pump's removal. Then, why not all of the hoses, relatively easy cuz it's just hose. But, the heat exchanger step-down end caps are a different story. Mine looked to be original, maybe 30yo. They were squashed, painted over and scary looking. On this and on other forums I have read that Perkins parts are expensive. Well we all know the word "expensive" ought not be in a boater's vocabulary.

Anyway, I googled the Bowman part number that is embossed imto one of the two end caps. The cheapest US source I found cost $68. In addition, it requires three differently-sized hose clamps to complete the installation.

I found a supplier in England instead. I paid $46 for BOTH end caps, INCLUDING six clamps. Shipping was $23 via Royalmail air mail. Perhaps there is a US supplier that can match these prices but I rather doubt it. Oh, the vendor was parts4engines.com.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35
Check with TransAtlantic diesel. They have a huge selection of older Perkins parts.

chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I also have a 4108 run generator and use parts4engines.com. Also tractor supplies usually have main engine parts, rebuild kits, for much less than marine suppliers. Proper parts, kits with your engine number.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote