Old 01-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Transmission oil- can I use mulitgrade?

I have Twin Disc 506 trannies. It is recommended to use SAE 30 oil in them, which I've been doing. My usual source for oil only has it in stock occasionally, but I could order it in advance no problem.

However, I'm curious about whether there would be any issues in using a multigrade oil such as 15W-40 or 5W-30. Both of these are readily available.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have twin disc trannies connected to Cat 3208T/A. It calls for 30w oil, but this is NOT motor oil. It is gear oil. Make sure you confirm the proper oil or it will do damage to your trannies. I can give you the CAT part number if you want it.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I have Twin Disc 506 trannies. It is recommended to use SAE 30 oil in them, which I've been doing. My usual source for oil only has it in stock occasionally, but I could order it in advance no problem.

However, I'm curious about whether there would be any issues in using a multigrade oil such as 15W-40 or 5W-30. Both of these are readily available.
I have mg5061 gear and service manual say: use only SAE-API service class CD engine oil certified to meet TO-2 transmission oil specification or type C-3 transmission fluid. Also approved is SAE-API service class CC engine oil.

Steady operation conditions(GEAR OIL) 150°-185° f SAE30 and 185°-210° f SAE40

And Multi-viccosity oils (i.e. 10W-40, etc.) should not be used in Twin Dick marine Transmissions.

I hope help your oil questions.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I have twin disc trannies connected to Cat 3208T/A. It calls for 30w oil, but this is NOT motor oil. It is gear oil. Make sure you confirm the proper oil or it will do damage to your trannies. I can give you the CAT part number if you want it.
The gear oils readily available here range from 50W to 90W, definitely not suitable. When the trannies were rebuilt I was advised to use 30W, and that some 30W motor oil I already had was fine. I'll stick with it, and try and check with the local TD dealer.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
I have mg5061 gear and service manual say: use only SAE-API service class CD engine oil certified to meet TO-2 transmission oil specification or type C-3 transmission fluid. Also approved is SAE-API service class CC engine oil.

Steady operation conditions(GEAR OIL) 150°-185° f SAE30 and 185°-210° f SAE40

And Multi-viccosity oils (i.e. 10W-40, etc.) should not be used in Twin Dick marine Transmissions.

I hope help your oil questions.

NBs
Thanks. I'll check into the detailed spec of the 30W engine oil available nearby. And also contact local TD dealer as I noted above.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I have a TD 506 also. The qts or litres of HD 30 have almost disappeared so I now go to the local oil distributor a get a 4 jug x 4 litre case of the 30. It will keep.
It helps that my gear system uses about 8 to 9 L to fill the gear, cooler, lines and filter.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
TF Site Team

A TD manual dated 2008 covering a range of trannies states that multi-viscosity oils cannot be used without written permission from TD. So that kinda settles that, even though I have not had a response to me email to TD as yet.

I found a 69 page service manual for the 506 on Boat Diesel. It says use 30W if heat exchange inlet temp is above 85°F, or 20W if below that temp.

In about 10 days I'll be spending some time away from the city, in farming areas. I'm hoping I'll find an oil supplier somewhere that carries 30W in 20 litre drums. Gear capacity is 5 qts, close to 5 litres. I don't believe my hoses/oil cooler holds very much, and I did not try and drain them last time. I don't think I'll do it this time either.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #8
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Contact a local distributor such as Shell.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #9

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
My Mechanic used a Caterpillar branded 30 wt oil in my twin Disc boxes, I will check the account to confirm when I get back to my boat, The oil was sourced in Brisbane
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For Borg Warners, if you do use motor oil for the tranny, they do recommend non-detergent, separating it from regular motor oil....

My tranny had probably 5000 hours / 29 years with plain old Rotella 30Wt HD motor oil in it an it was just gone over by professional shop and got a clean bill of health.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
Your instinct to ask the manufacturer directly I think is wise. I would NOT take anything from a distributor or mechanic as gospel.

For what it's worth, ZF always required straight 30W oil in their gears (the ones that don't use ATF), but maybe a year or two ago published a new oil specification that now allows multi weight oils in most, if not all of the gears that previously required straight 30W. It makes a huge difference in convenience since I can now keep just one type of oil on board for engines and gears.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I also use 30 wt Rotella in my transmissions. I get it from Amazon. Not sure if Amazon works down under.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
With the additives in gear oil one would think gear oil multi-vis or not would be the most appropriate choice.
With the exception of what the manufacturer recommends of course.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

I think you guys might be able to use my help in marine gear oil matters. I was the Transmission Fluids Engineer for Allison Transmission from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Upon retiring from Allison Product Engineering, I started a new company and we specialize in oil analysis for all kinds of equipment including marine equipment. I'm still very active in the oil and additives industry and I'm here to help with oil questions in general or transmission fluid question specifically.

Below is my "bio" from a Technical Paper I wrote entitled "What Boat Captains and Marine Surveyors Should Know about Oils and Oil Analysis". The paper carries my company logo so I can't post it here. If you'd like a copy of the paper, just PM me.

My bio:
Tom Johnson holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Purdue University and has over 30 years of engineering experience. Tom held the position of Transmission Fluids Engineer for Allison Transmission for the last 20 years of his career. Tom retired from GM and Allison Transmission in 2009. While in his former position at GM and Allison Transmission, Tom worked closely with global oil and additive companies and wrote most of Allison’s lubricant specifications. He directed, managed and oversaw the testing and approvals of hundreds of transmission fluid and engine oil
formulations for Allison Transmission. He also served as a key member of GM’s
Automatic Transmission Fluid and Engine Oil Committees. Tom also held a key
position as a member of the SAE Lubricant Review Institute Engine Oil Committee
where he participated on a multi-OEM panel to review and approve engine oils to
US Army specifications. In this capacity, Tom worked closely with the US Army
Tank Automotive Command to review military specification oils for use in US Army tactical and combat wheeled and track laying vehicles.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #15
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
I think you guys might be able to use my help in marine gear oil matters. I was the Transmission Fluids Engineer for Allison Transmission from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Upon retiring from Allison Product Engineering, I started a new company and we specialize in oil analysis for all kinds of equipment including marine equipment. I'm still very active in the oil and additives industry and I'm here to help with oil questions in general or transmission fluid question specifically.

Below is my "bio" from a Technical Paper I wrote entitled "What Boat Captains and Marine Surveyors Should Know about Oils and Oil Analysis". The paper carries my company logo so I can't post it here. If you'd like a copy of the paper, just PM me.

My bio:
Tom Johnson holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Purdue University and has over 30 years of engineering experience. Tom held the position of Transmission Fluids Engineer for Allison Transmission for the last 20 years of his career. Tom retired from GM and Allison Transmission in 2009. While in his former position at GM and Allison Transmission, Tom worked closely with global oil and additive companies and wrote most of Allison’s lubricant specifications. He directed, managed and oversaw the testing and approvals of hundreds of transmission fluid and engine oil
formulations for Allison Transmission. He also served as a key member of GM’s
Automatic Transmission Fluid and Engine Oil Committees. Tom also held a key
position as a member of the SAE Lubricant Review Institute Engine Oil Committee
where he participated on a multi-OEM panel to review and approve engine oils to
US Army specifications. In this capacity, Tom worked closely with the US Army
Tank Automotive Command to review military specification oils for use in US Army tactical and combat wheeled and track laying vehicles.

Welcome!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
can you give your boating "opinions" ?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Thanks for replies!

Auskiwi - info on the CAT oil would be useful when you can provide it.

Commodave - Amazon started here with much fanfare and nervousness from competitors last Dec. But they have pretty much flopped so far, not much range and no engine/gear oil, prices often not competitive.

I can source some 30W oil, but not sure of spec at this point. One is Castrol 4T, a 30W oil for 4 stroke lawnmowers. Another is Prolube. I have never heard of them but their product would seem to be suitable.
https://prolube.com.au/shop/diesel-e...ae-30-cd-sf-3/

The major oil suppliers eg Shell don't appear to routinely carry it in outlets, but likely it can be ordered in.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
My transmissions hold almost a gallon of oil. I ordered waaay to much when I bought the boat so I still have several oil changes worth of 30 wt left. I would recommend that you figure out how much you will need in 2 years and special order it so you will have a supply if you have a problem.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
can you give your boating "opinions" ?
Only on oil recommendations and/or engine/transmission oil analysis.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #20
Guru

I only used SAE 30 in MG5050 as recommended by TwinDisc, but one thought to add that may or may not be relevant. My motorcycle clutch is lubricated by engine oil from a single sump. The oil is specified for motorcycle use because it contains no "slippery" additives that would cause the clutch to slip and eventually destroy it. So, my guess is you might have the same consideration with a boat transmission. Best to stick to the Twindisc recommended oil.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote