Old 01-09-2021, 11:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsalmonfish View Post
This year I Replaced a 40 year old Onan 7.5 MDJE which was probably the best and simplest Onan made. I put in a NL 9kw. Put 875 hours on it since March. Absolutely fantastic! Hasn't skipped a beat and easy to maintain.
Another good endorsement. Will probably go with the NL I will need to figure out size. Whether to go with a 6 or a 9.

Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:09 PM   #22

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
+1 for Northern Lights in an enclosure. The gold standard in my mind. I have a 9kw.

jimdavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #23

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Back in 2008, Victron did a comprehensive generator test.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...7-jan-2008.pdf
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
Back in 2008, Victron did a comprehensive generator test.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...7-jan-2008.pdf
Interesting. Looks like that study was for households. The NL came out of the study much quieter than the others. The lower RpM models were quieter, and with the additional hours of total run time anticipated does reinforce comments from others above. These are the 50hz models common in Europe. I don’t imagine there would be much difference in the 60 Hz models here.

Thanks for passing along!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
I've had Northern Lights on two boats. An 8kw and a 16 kw. I replaced a start switch once and an impeller once. Hundreds of hours on them, combined. Powerful, quiet, easy to maintain. Hard to beat. Others brands are good, too. Onan, Kohler. My friend's Kohler starts easily and powers everything on his boat, including six a/c units. Never had any trouble with it except an impeller when it sucked up some mud (longer story).
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
I've had Northern Lights on two boats. An 8kw and a 16 kw. I replaced a start switch once and an impeller once. Hundreds of hours on them, combined. Powerful, quiet, easy to maintain. Hard to beat. Others brands are good, too. Onan, Kohler. My friend's Kohler starts easily and powers everything on his boat, including six a/c units. Never had any trouble with it except an impeller when it sucked up some mud (longer story).
As I mentioned, my previous generator was a 7.3 KW Kohler. I think though, that based upon the discussions here that I will go with a Northern Lights.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #27
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I like Northern Lights or Westerbeke. 1800 rpm and sound enclosures are a must. Generator size is easy; same size as shore power. Most 40 footers about 60 amps or 8KW.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Passport
Vessel Model: Mainship Sedan Bridge
Phasor Generator

I replaced an aging 9KW Kohler with a 4.5kw Phasor genset, Kubota powered. Wonderful unit, powers all I need, relatively quit at 1800 rpm operation. Agree with comments about avoiding high rpm units.
bykpjfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #29

City: Del Norte
Vessel Name: Way To Go
Vessel Model: 38 Aquila Power Cat
Take a look at the Fischer Panda Marine AC 5000. If you're a 50 amp boat this will handle the job. https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...-for-your-boat
AquilaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #30

City: Nashville
Vessel Name: Sonchaser
Vessel Model: 48 Jefferson Rivanna CPMY
Westerbeke

We have a 14KW Westerbeke with about 1200 hours on it. Living in the South we use it in the hook in the summer to keep the AC cold and the fridge colder. I basically keep the belt in good shape, fresh impellers, oil and clean fuel. I like everything about it except the sound box. Too hard to reach the dipstick and oil fill. Such is life.
Sonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #31

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
i have to take exception to the post about high rpm gensets not being up to the task. we have 2 boats. one has an entec (farryman diesel) 1900 hrs and the other is a nextgen 3.5 1100 hrs. we anchor out 90% of the time so we're using the gensets a lot. both units can power all electrics pretty much simultaneously using common sense power management. both have provided solid service with no major problems, one for 17 yrs the other 10. when i have had to talk to manufacturers they both have been great.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Fintry
Vessel Model: x Royal Navy Fleet Tender
We took a 5kW NL around the world 1995-1998. We put about 3,000 hours on it and it ran flawlessly, so when it came to buying new generators for Fintry in 2003 to replace her existing 220VDC pair, I chose a pair of 9kW NL with 24VDC operation.

IIRC the 9kW was new at the time. We went through half a dozen belts, supplied by NL, in the first 100 hours. Then, at 300, and 500 hours we lost the fuel solenoids in the two units. I sent a photo of the nameplate from one of the solenoids to the solenoid manufacturer, who told me that they were 12V units. Well made, I guess, to last several hundred hours at 24V.

My guess is that the generators were originally built as 12V units and were converted to 24V for us. I would have assumed that there was a BoM and maybe even a kit for doing the conversion, but somehow the fuel solenoids were overlooked. It took NL 4 months to admit their mistake and refund my cost for the new solenoids.

We replaced one of them with a 12kW NL when we installed a Quick gyro in 2019. It had about 2,100 hours on it when we took it out. The other one is still going strong, with about 2,300 hours, as is the 12. So, except for the belts and solenoids, our experience with NL has been excellent.

An NL generator would be my choice the next time I have to choose. As it happens, we have made an offer on a boat that has an 8kW NL and a Lugger main engine and I couldn't be happier.

With that said, I think you'll probably be all right with any of the 1800 rpm units, but if you expect to put thousands of hours on your generator, I'd pick NL.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #33
Guru

City: West Coast
I can't compare to other brands, but had an Onan EQd on my last boat and liked it -- quiet, reliable and easy. So, when I spec'd this boat, which has Cummins mains, I went with a pair of Cummins/Onan EQD (17 or 18 kw, as I recall). They each have about 1800 hours, completely trouble free. I should also mention that they are quiet. If the boat isn't plugged in to shore power the generator is on, 24/7.
Really have to strain to hear it, even in the middle of the night in a quiet anchorage. In fact, after returning to my dock and plugging back in to shore power, more than once I have left the boat without realizing that I had not shut down the genset.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Would like to get thoughts and opinions on different brands of diesel generators from those with experience with them.

What diesel generator do you think is the highest quality, and why do you think it is?

What maintenance issues have you dealt with, with yours? Brand, Age/hours is a factor here, so it may help to state that?

For those who have had warranty service, how satisfied with the service from the brand are you?

What has the support been like from the brand you use?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
I have a 9kw Isuzu. 2000 hrs on it. Works like a champ but it's loud. No issues so far other than annual maintenance.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #35
Guru

City: Wickford, RI
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I worked in a boat yard once upon a time, general wrench monkey, and put an automatic start on an Onan eqd. I remember being really impressed with the unit. Which is a funny contrast to the old ball of rust (Onan) in our mainship. That Onan always was hard to start, wanting for repairs, and noisy. It was almost 40 years old though....

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our 7Kw Onan EQD,fitted to an 05 boat, came with just 135 recorded hours(mains were 700hrs). It starts well, runs quietly,churns out amps. Big improvement on the MDKD 6.5 in the previous boat. In Australia, Onan(Cummins) tends to be the most common brand.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #37

City: Searchmont
Vessel Name: Catnip
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
I love diesel gensets but they are old technology. Why not consider an EFOY? Basically a fuel cell. Much cheaper, simpler and so quiet.

https://www.efoy-pro.com
Trawler Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Our 7Kw Onan EQD,fitted to an 05 boat, came with just 135 recorded hours(mains were 700hrs). It starts well, runs quietly,churns out amps. Big improvement on the MDKD 6.5 in the previous boat. In Australia, Onan(Cummins) tends to be the most common brand.
Love australia. Sidney is great. Traveled the world and never met anyone as nice and fun to be with. Was there in the late nineties on business.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler Fixer View Post
I love diesel gensets but they are old technology. Why not consider an EFOY? Basically a fuel cell. Much cheaper, simpler and so quiet.

https://www.efoy-pro.com
Looking at the Efoy products, I would question how much power they provide. Maybe the larger one. I also saw some complaints about availability of fuel. Not sure if that is an issue or not. Finally, I didn’t see any pricing info anywhere. Any idea how much those cost?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #40

City: Stuart, FL
Vessel Name: Long Point
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 58
Currently have two NL gensets. 12kw is the workhorse and used extensively for AC and other power needs, it has 7800 hours and only needs the normal oil and filter changes and clean fuel. Not much more needed. The 20kw operates the hydraulic pump for the windlass and bow thruster, so mainly sees short periods of service for those needs, and occasional use for electrical requirements.. It has 2500h or so on it. Both are equipped with water separators so are pretty quiet at anchor. In the past I had a 3.5kw NextGen on a smaller boat. It was newly installed when I bought the boat due to they replaced the original one due to warped head (so I was told). This genset operates at higher rpm, 2700 or so, and unfortunately I had several issues with it. Failed oil pressure switch, it ate several RW impellers, and I had a failed RW hose that was really difficult to get to to replace (probably not the generators fault). As a result I found the generator wasn't available when I needed it as the failures occurred while I was on multi day trips with minimal access to parts and service. But for the boat I had this genset fit the space I had available. And the NextGen service was excellent, and I had easy access to a technical person to help me. For the bigger boat, the NL have basically been flawless.

donpjr is offline   Reply With Quote