Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

City: Toronto
Gen. Fuel Filter

Ok .. it's not on a boat but I thought I'd ask here .....

Our Condo Bldg. has a 100 KW Emerg. Diesel Generator and I noticed on a walk through that the primary fuel filter is mounted at almost 90 deg. to the vertical ( almost horizontal ). Since the outlet from the fuel tank is close to floor level, the filter did not have the clearance to be upright when they built this thing. Is this filter doing the proper job ? I was under impression that there should be a centrifuge effect of sorts .. ? that's why they are vertical.

Tx. in advance ..... FB
Attached Thumbnails
2017-03-11 10.32.15.jpg  
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Guru

That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Not positioned right, alot of muck settles down in the bowl, looks like a quick plumber job....
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Northport
"That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron."

Plus 1 to Jay - these are not sensitive to orientation much as the filter media itself takes up over 90% of the cavity. The 'top' and 'bottom' of the filter media is directly pressed upon each end and the filter 'open spaces' are small and 360 degrees around the filter perimeter -so you should be fine as long as you can easily prime the system.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Ex

Does the genset have an on engine fuel filter? In most places with emergency gensets (often regulated by code or insurance) there will be a service tag for filter change out dates fastened to the filter. The fuel in the tank should have a change out date affixed too.

Ask the building manager for the check list and service logs. Pretend this genset is on a boat and Jay Leonard is the engineer.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: LI or Fla
There is a bleed screw on the "top", or in this case on the side which is not right, or fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"That is a common fuel filter for a fuel oil heating system. They are 10 micron."

Plus 1 to Jay - these are not sensitive to orientation much as the filter media itself takes up over 90% of the cavity. The 'top' and 'bottom' of the filter media is directly pressed upon each end and the filter 'open spaces' are small and 360 degrees around the filter perimeter -so you should be fine as long as you can easily prime the system.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: Northport
"There is a bleed screw on the "top", or in this case on the side which is not right, or fine."

It is fine and likely right form what I have seen.....
I have done two if these in the past week or so - most often they are very easy to bleed even at this angle. But most often there is another bleed valve down-line from this filter which is even easier to use to get the bleeding done. A nd in a few of the 'building' backup systems I have worked with the system is bled by engaging an electrical pump after filter changes so no 'bleeding' per se is necessary. But the ability to bleed the entire system is why I mentioned it in the first place. I have a few of those filter elements in my tool box right now at home.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
With a few more NPT fittings, you could raise the filter off the floor. Would make it easier to drain and change element.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
FF
Guru

Looks like an oil burner filter , not a diesel fuel filter.

These stop lumps and chunks but not water.

The engines protection is probably on the engine from the OEM.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote