Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Hendo,
You should have carried that one on a bit farther. Where's you usual sense of humor?
"I know it's a shock mom but what do you think?"
Yea your're right ......... too mean.
Hahaha took me an hour to convince her with what I had said lol. I wasn't thinking straight. I was in damage control lol ;-)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
While working down in the British Virgin Islands years back I noticed our Commonwealth cousins (Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, etc.) used the word "Gearbox" for what I call a "transmission." Is there a difference, or is it another of those many examples of Americans and Brits being, as Churchill said, "two peoples seperated by a common language?"
Definitely, in NZ and Aussie 'gearbox' and 'transmission' are interchangeable terms...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
many call it a "Marine Gear"
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
As for the old direct drives with NO metal gear thing, it was surprising how quickly stopping the engine, flipping the cam cog and starting the engine can be done. Most of the engine are slow under 300 RPM so they stop fairly quickly, and there was a lever, chain/cable to the cam cog. May be a couple seconds longer than boats with the gear thingy as it has to slow enough before shifting.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
As for the old direct drives with NO metal gear thing, it was surprising how quickly stopping the engine, flipping the cam cog and starting the engine can be done. Most of the engine are slow under 300 RPM so they stop fairly quickly, and there was a lever, chain/cable to the cam cog. May be a couple seconds longer than boats with the gear thingy as it has to slow enough before shifting.
Still, it must have been very difficult to negotiate a tight marina with that system.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
So my husband was a sea scout and I don't know the details but the boat had to be shifted from forward to reverse in the engine room. There were some levers at the helm that the helmsman would move back and forth to indicate what we wanted the person on the engine room to do. They make some kind of "Ching Ching" noise and the person below repeats the message back to show they received it correctly. They were coming into a marina in San Francisco and the helmsman sent the signal to change from forward to reverse. The engine room responded but the boat kept moving forward. He signaled again "all reverse full". The young sea scout in the engine room was confused and thought the message was "all ahead full". They ended up crashing into a docked submarine. true story.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Still, it must have been very difficult to negotiate a tight marina with that system.

Yes it is, but they tend to be mooored in commercial areas/docks, so pumping and banging into each other is not a big deal. You should see them come up against a dock. When they came in a little to fast/hard we sat down on the dock because you would be knocked down. Well, first we ran as safe distance.

Last night my wife was watching a 70+ ft steel converted tug dock, it had a gear box, has a dozen tires hanging from the siide and he came hard against the dock. She wachted for quite a while, so I asked her what was she was watching, "Oh, just the tug docking." Followed by, "We should have a couple young male to crew and help us dock." I looked out the window and two 20-30 ish males where tucking and pulling on the line. Ha right! Waching the tug boat dock? !

Its not uncommon on the larger pleasure and commercila docks that other come help to line in the boat as we know what a puckker factor docking can be.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #28

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Hendo 78..rich story amigo! Love it!! Wish I was that quick on my feet. No wonder my Limey pals call it "Gearbox." So will I from now on. Cheers!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
........... Its not uncommon on the larger pleasure and commercila docks that other come help to line in the boat as we know what a puckker factor docking can be.
Docking help is great and I personally appreciate it but some folks have posted on this forum that they don't want anyone helping. To each his/her own, I suppose.

There's a guy a few slips down from me who is so particular about docking or casting off that most of us hide in our boats when we see him coming. Being yelled at is a big disincentive for helping.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Hendo 78..rich story amigo! Love it!! Wish I was that quick on my feet. No wonder my Limey pals call it "Gearbox." So will I from now on. Cheers!
;-)
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Although it may not be "correct" I have always considered the marine gear or transmission to include both a clutch and reversing gear.

It can include reduction gears too ,tho many boats with a CPP setup will have only reduction gears , no clutch.

The prop is selected FWD , no thrust or REV as required.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #32

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
In the UK we always say "gearbox" when referring to autos, unless talking about a "rare" automatic vehicle, when we will say it has "automatic transmission", although I left the UK 20 years ago, 99% of vehicles had "manual gearboxes", what you guys call "standard",
so it's really just the terminology, you use "trunk and hood" they use "boot and bonnet".

I've been in aviation all my life, I now work for Rolls-Royce building and repairing jet turbine engines, all of which have a "gearbox" attached!!!, hope that doesn't complicate matters even further lol.
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote