Gear Selector - replace just a part?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeideMarie

Vessel Name
Heide Marie
Vessel Make
1984 Egg Harbor 36' Yacht
New to the forum and motor boating (after a life of sailing) --- so apologies in advance if I do not use the correct terminology --- please correct me --- trying to learn.

The gear selector / shifter for the dual engines had a handle come off in my hand -- thankfully as I was in harbor, docking with nothing nearby.

No matter how much I tighten the screw, the handle still comes off --- because it appears that the lever rod/cylinder has been stripped.

(1) What's the best fix?

(2) I'd prefer to replace just the rod part instead of >$500 for the whole shifter --- but have no idea what terms to search for.

(3) The best the dockmaster can advise is to go to a nearby boat junkyard and search for the same shifter, then dissassemble it for the part.

(4) What if I just secured the handle to the rod with something like JB weld? Is that a terrible idea?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

She's a new to me 1984 Egg Harbor btw --- and I love her.

Attachments

• Shifter3.jpg
    Shifter3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Shifter2.jpg
    Shifter2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Shifter1.jpg
    Shifter1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 24
From what I can see in the picture, the shaft looks to be splined. Most seems to be gone or worrn / corroded. Not sure if the splines inside the handle are in the same condition. The set screw holds the handle on the shaft, but the splines are what transfer the lever movement to turn the shaft.

For such a critical piece of equipment when docking, I wouldn't be comfortable with the condition of that shaft. I would also have to remove the shifter lever for the other engine and determine its condition. If it were me, I would be replacing the whole control.

If you don't, plan on keeping a big pair of Vise Grips handy for the next time.

Ted

The photo begs the question how much drag is on the cable to sheer off the splines. If your cables are more than 20 years old, replace them too.

I’d call the marine consignment shops or ask at some of the larger boat yards. There were 1,000s if not more of those controls made.

Go ahead and JB weld it. It is a cheap inappropriate repair guaranteed to fail in the future at the worst possible moment but that is why you have insurance. Right?

The photo begs the question how much drag is on the cable to sheer off the splines. If your cables are more than 20 years old, replace them too.

Replacing cables due only to their age?

Is there some aspect of the use of cables to select gears or to advance throttles that causes them to wear out in a set number of years, hours of use, cycles?

If you can examine the cables to determine whether they in fact have any defects, then you will know if they need to be renewed.

Your control appears to similar to Teleflex / SeaStar Twin S Top Mount Control.
$226.74 at Defender. Not an item to patch with duct tape.

WOW! Thanks for all the great replies and advice --- and good humor too.

Agreed - critical equipment --- didn't realize how far gone it was -- I will replace the whole unit.

Is there any benefit to the higher end Teleflex 5600P ?

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/tel-ch5600p.html

Genuinely appreciate everyone sharing their expertise and knowledge. Thank you very much.

For a temp fix, could you drill through the set screw hole, through the shaft and out the other side, then drive a spring pin to lock it in place?

Replacing cables due only to their age?

Is there some aspect of the use of cables to select gears or to advance throttles that causes them to wear out in a set number of years, hours of use, cycles?

If you can examine the cables to determine whether they in fact have any defects, then you will know if they need to be renewed.

The plastic jacket on Teleflex 33c cables get brittle with age. Since the controls are coming out it’s a good time to replace the cables. The PO’s boat is a 1984, same as my boat. My shifter was difficult to move when we first bought the boat. When I had time to check out the cables I was shocked to find a 2 ft section of jacket on a bend not only cracked but had fallen off into the void under the lower helm. The other three cables were full of jacket cracks. Cables should be replaced on the first signs of trouble. I would bet money there is more going on with the PO’s control than some corrosion.

The plastic jacket on Teleflex 33c cables get brittle with age. Since the controls are coming out it’s a good time to replace the cables. The PO’s boat is a 1984, same as my boat. My shifter was difficult to move when we first bought the boat. When I had time to check out the cables I was shocked to find a 2 ft section of jacket on a bend not only cracked but had fallen off into the void under the lower helm. The other three cables were full of jacket cracks. Cables should be replaced on the first signs of trouble. I would bet money there is more going on with the PO’s control than some corrosion.

I agree. New shifters, new cables. Put the problem to bed. Period.

Back
Top Bottom