Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Hydraulic Steering

I know that the subject has been discussed, but my problem is identifying the helm Teleflex-Seastar helm pump unit. I can find no numbers to ID it. Please help as I have a issue with the SHAFT SEAL which must be replaced by 1700 June 6 when I launch. Unit is on a 1987 CC Catalina 381.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Did you check on the seastar web site to identify your pump visually? They do not have many:
SeaStar Solutions

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
I had an issue with my cylinder, not the pump, but perhaps something in my old thread will be helpful. Others posted manuals and such within the thread. Good luck!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ild-21480.html
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just take a pic and send/take it to a Sea Star rep. Perhaps shaft dia ect would help too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
There are U Tube repair videos out there for rebuild of many SeaStar-Telefex and exploded drawings that are helpful after you ID.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had a Seastar cylinder rebuilt by a company in Florida. Cost about half of a new one and had a warrenty equal to a new one. Don't remember the company name, but service was great.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Greetings to all: Sea Star has responded. The system is a Seastar 1, which has 6.0 truns lock to lock, or a Seastar 11 with 4.3 turns lock to lock. Seal kit is HS5151, and the shaft seal Part #HS5201. One might assume that HS5201 would be included. We shall see. I have no price yet as I have challened a local builder to acquire same. However I am rather put out that even the system instructions, which are original, does not include a parts break-down with numbers. Another issue is that the data does not provide any real instructions on rebuild. I will confirm leak status when I receive the shaft seal...

Once again a wonderful forum which we together save each other many dollars. Take care Bill.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

Greetings Again. Forgot the most import aspect. Any issues with a Teleflex/SeaStar system send msg to Sacha.Lepage@seastarsolutions.com. Bill
Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
Guru

Did you look at the seals? Are them simple o-rings? If they are you better by o-rings of same specs than buy seastar kit that will be sold 10 times more. When I got my cylinder rebuilt 1 month ago the guy from the hydraulic shop (thank for his honesty) told me that next time I just have to buy o-rings of the same diameter and section and it is very easy to do and will cost me few $ instead of paying the man hours to do it. I guess that it should not be far more difficult for the helm pump. (for me the seals kit containing 4 seals cost around 45$!

Anyway, glad you found out your needed info!

L.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #10

Lou: No i did not disassemble the unit. I was reluctent to do that until I had secured the bits and pieces. I am buy the items through a local boat builder and given the urgency paying the frieght will have to be accepted. However when I receive the items I will price out local purchase for a spare. One item of concern is getting "nyopreme" rather than "rubber" "0" ring. The latter seems tobe all that is available locally at the local HW. B.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
For a hydraulic system, steering pump, you want nitrile, not neoprene.
Nitrile, also known as BunaN is highly resistant to oils lasting years and years if not damaged by other means or worn out.
If the O rings available to you are nitrile or called Buna N that is exactly what you want.
Neoprene has many uses but not as desirable in this service.

They are BOTH rubbers, just different compositions for different uses.
There are MANY different compositions for many different uses such as high temps., different chemical resistances and so on.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Guru

I bought a box of 400 nitrile o-rings of all diameters and sections on amazon for 20$. I feel screwed when I saw I paid 4 of them 45$ as a "service kit"

L.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
I bought the seal kit several years ago and the kit did NOT include the shaft seal. Measure the shaft and housing diameters and order O-rings from McMaster-Carr.
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #14

Greetings: C, I meant Nitrile. I agree that Sea Star prices are terribly high but circumstances dictate take what you can get quickly.
Needless to say I am somewhat surprised that this shaft seal is not readily available nor IDed in the data on the device. As well no schematic breakdown. However Sea Star were quick to respond and curtious without falt. I will know next time. B