Fuel polishing system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that not all polishing systems are "good". Most are inadequate in terms of fuel flow and turn over rates. Most filtering setups are to small and dont have enough flow capacity to "polish" the fuel and the pumps used are just automotive style 12 volt fuel feed pumps that cant move enough volume. That being said, any fuel moving thru the filter system is an improvement over nothing at all. The best preventative is to actually, physically clean the tanks. The only way to be sure they are clean is to visually inspect them. This requires access to every inch of the tank. Then, with a clean tank, its fairly easy to keep them clean with a good polishing system.

What you meant to say was, "I installed a multi stage filtration system. I polish my fuel everytime I run my boat."

:D

No. I meant I don't polish. I have a Lehman which for all intents and purposes doesn't return fuel. So I am only filtering what I use when I use it.

"Isn't that enough? What am I missing?

Smooth water inshore its great.

The dream is somehow by simply filtering the fuel a bit somehow the fuel tank will in time become clean.

When the sea state gets interesting and the fuel tank has internal room , even with baffles fuel will slosh enough to loosen goop stuck to the tank walls.

Sadly the goop is thicker nearer the tank bottom so as the fuel gets lower , the more is loosened and in the fuel.

This can block filters .

In the 80s and early 90s, I had gunk clog my filters on my sailboats. I bought my trawler in 94, and in the first 10 yrs I changed out my racor 500s and the on engine Volvo secondaries frequently. They were generally full of crud. But in the last 15 years the frequency of changing out the filters has decreased as the quality of fuel I can get at the marine stations has gone way up. My last filter change was a year or two ago, and my log shows that it had been 4 years on the racor 500s and 10 years on the secondaries.

My last filter change was a year or two ago, and my log shows that it had been 4 years on the racor 500s and 10 years on the secondaries.

If you're talking about racor filters, you should change them on a yearly basis regardless of condition. They are paper filters and are designed for 1 year of being submerged.

"If you're talking about racor filters, you should change them on a yearly basis regardless of condition. They are paper filters and are designed for 1 year of being submerged."

Maybe the filter manufacturer has a design criteria that they are willing to warranty that theirs are good for one year. That doesn't mean that I need to change mine before they need it. I will continue to change them when they get cruddy. If that is 4 years, 1 year, less or more.

How often do you with inspection hatches on your tanks open them up and access the interior?

I believe the one year longevity on Racors is based on the aqua bloc chemical that helps separate water.

"I believe the one year longevity on Racors is based on the aqua bloc chemical that helps separate water.

Perhaps but bio in the fuel may reduce the water seperiation time and ability loads more

Sez PBB in fuel article.

No. I meant I don't polish. I have a Lehman which for all intents and purposes doesn't return fuel. So I am only filtering what I use when I use it.

Actually, unless you've removed your return line, for all intents and purposes they do return some fuel. So whether you believe it or not, you are "polishing".

I look into my "bulk" tanks about once a year. The hatches are easy to get to and I can pump all the fuel from one tank to the other when they get low enough. The other three tanks only get fuel from the bulk tanks, that has been filtered, so they dont get inspected as often. If I start getting water or crud in my engine feed primary filters I will circulate the fuel in the burn tanks thru the polisher filters for a couple of days. That usually takes care of it.

I had a polishing system in my last boat. (Single engine and I was determined to really take care of that engine.)

Now, I have 2 Yanmar 440hp engines and once again, I've addressed the fuel polishing question. This time, however, I stated the problem on BoatDiesel.com & received some very interesting comments.

Attachments

• Walt's Question.png
    Walt's Question.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Tony's Response.png
    Tony's Response.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Thanks Tony.png
    Thanks Tony.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Actually, unless you've removed your return line, for all intents and purposes they do return some fuel. So whether you believe it or not, you are "polishing".

OK I installed a fuel polishing system if that's what you want to believe.
If I had a Cummins 6BTA with a Bosch 7100 series pump I'd be returning close to 30 gal per hour. Yes in that case I'd say I was filtering and keeping my fuel fresh. Been there with my previous boat.
But in the case of a Ford Lehman 120 I'd say not really in the intent of this thread.

I have a question. My Cummins QSB 5.9 typically runs between 2.5 and 6.0 GPH. It returns at least 20 GPH to the fuel tank. I have 2 - 200 gallon tanks. At 25 GPH going through the filters, the whole tank goes through the filter every 8 hours. Isn't that enough? What am I missing?
IMHO you're not missing anything! I believe it was Bill Parletore of PassageMaker fame who really accelerated this whole "fuel polishing" craze. As others have indicated, the Lehmans return very little fuel and a better filtering system may be advantageous for those engines. I also remember that once Parletore got the "polishing" train rolling, he extended the process to "fresh water." Now, don't get me wrong! I was an avid reader of that magazine (but no longer am) and I really respected Parletore's editorials and articles. I have gleaned much more information over the years from this forum and web sites like BoatDiesel and have discarded those things, which in the past, I accepted as gospel. :blush:

Last edited:
There seems to be a number of different beliefs here regarding fuel polishing and all have valid points and concerns.
In my case, the boat is my liveaboard home and office, and truth be told, not used as much as I would like. Due to this inactivity, I thought that trying to maintain the fuel quality and tank, after cleaning, would be of a benefit to me.
I appreciate the opinions!

There seems to be a number of different beliefs here regarding fuel polishing and all have valid points and concerns.
In my case, the boat is my liveaboard home and office, and truth be told, not used as much as I would like. Due to this inactivity, I thought that trying to maintain the fuel quality and tank, after cleaning, would be of a benefit to me.
I appreciate the opinions!

Fuel polishing (or better stated water and sediment removal) as it works in the real world, is not meant to deal with diesel that sits around, loses its cetane rating and additives are rendered less effective.

How long does your fuel sit unused Goldenstar?

I am in the skeptical camp regarding on-board polishing systems.

My thinking is the crud and water in the tank tend to sink to the very bottom where they are unlikely to be picked-up by the fuel-polishing system. Even if the tank has a sump and the polishing system picks-up there the internal baffling of the tank will prevent movement of the crud. Of course, in a seaway the crud can and does come loose but at that point it is as likely to be picked up by the regular filters (and overwhelm them) as they are by the polishing system.

A better investment, in my opinion, is a daytank system that assures that the fuel needed for the trip has all been recently pre-filtered and de-watered.

A better investment, in my opinion, is a daytank system that assures that the fuel needed for the trip has all been recently pre-filtered and de-watered.

Bingo. Nordhavn seems to agree.

But I have seen "old" fuel from Ensenada stored in a Nordhavn where all tanks including the day tanks had buggy stuff in them. A complete emptying, cleaning and new fresh fuel was required. No substitute for clean fuel and turning it over.

For me it was a simple choice. Need to be able to transfer fuel from one side tank to the other to trim the boat. Adding a Racor 1000 ($310) to the transfer system, made it a fuel polisher. I use it when I think it's prudent.

Ted

OK I installed a fuel polishing system if that's what you want to believe.
If I had a Cummins 6BTA with a Bosch 7100 series pump I'd be returning close to 30 gal per hour. Yes in that case I'd say I was filtering and keeping my fuel fresh. Been there with my previous boat.
But in the case of a Ford Lehman 120 I'd say not really in the intent of this thread.

Lighten up Jay. :D

I was trying to pay your choice of a filter system a complement.

My single tank is empty now for cleaning. I can only take the boat out for a few hours once a month, if lucky. Just want it and the fuel to remain clean.

My 31 foot Ameracat averages using about 125 gallons a day, 4 days a week from May until the end of Oct. It has never once had a fuel issue. My sporty on the other hand may not be used for the entire year, except as a liveaboard. I will generally have about 600 gallons of fuel onboard. I am positive if not for the fuel cleaning system I installed and my diligence the tanks would be in very poor shape, like the majority of boats that sit more than go. And, I dont buy into the "diesel goes bad" BS. The cetane level does not go down

I bought my trawler in 94, and in the first 10 yrs I changed out my racor 500s and the on engine Volvo secondaries frequently. They were generally full of crud. But in the last 15 years the frequency of changing out the filters has decreased as the quality of fuel I can get at the marine stations has gone way up. My last filter change was a year or two ago...
Could be the early frequent changes captured the crud, leading to less crud/less changes after a while.
My last Racor filter change was after 18 months. They were not separating out much if any water which seemed encouraging, but on changing them the elements were holding a lot of water, which makes me think they do lose their water separating efficiency as they age, as suggested above.

"maintain the fuel quality and tank"

Very simple in theory ,simply remove all the water at all times , no bugs , no problem.

In reality this requires a real fuel tank with a sump , that can be drained.

A low point bottom drain is a poor #2 , and must be used often.

With a box for fuel , instead of a proper marine fuel tank the risk of moisture is high.

First , new O rings for the deck fills .

Lighten up Jay. :D

I was trying to pay your choice of a filter system a complement.

:peace:

If you note just to the left of the oil filter I did make provisions so I could add a "filtering loop" to my system. But after 9 years of use I have no need. The current system is adequate. 30 to 10 to 7 micron.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
:peace:

If you note just to the left of the oil filter I did make provisions so I could add a "filtering loop" to my system. But after 9 years of use I have no need. The current system is adequate. 30 to 10 to 7 micron.

Great looking system designed to 21st century realities. And providing clean fuel to the engines which sometimes gets lost in these fuel polishing threads.

I'd assume the new electronic engines would use a 2u or so on engine fuel filter rather than 7u which most our engines commonly use as OEM?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom