Fuel Injectors: Buy new or rebuild ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I have twin Lehman 7.8 LT. 474 CID Ford block Lehmans. What is your opinion as to take mine out with 1800 hours on them to be rebuilt or just buy new and install. It appears the cost could be very close.

Are you having problems with them? Can you have them tested and only rebuild or replace any defective ones?

Take them to a tractor store and have them tested, then rebuild the ones that are not to specs. There is only a spring and a precise hole.

Or buy 6, replace one engine and send the old ones out to be rebuilt, then put the rebuilt in your second engine and have the old ones rebuilt, or sell them.

If the engines are hard to start, run rough or smoke more than a Lehman usually does, go for it.

You should adjust the valves now too.

I have twin Lehman 7.8 LT. 474 CID Ford block Lehmans. What is your opinion as to take mine out with 1800 hours on them to be rebuilt or just buy new and install. It appears the cost could be very close.

Kitting (rebuilding) is usually half the price of new. Shop around a bit if the shop wants a new price for a rebuild. Unless you are having some issues, smoking, a miss in the engine, you don't generally have injectors rebuilt/replaced as a routine maintenance item.

Thanks for your input. I will pull 6 and have them rebuilt then do the other 6 and do valves while out. Valves are done cold. The coat does very a lot.

I'm still not clear why they need to be rebuilt/replaced. 1800 hrs? No symptoms of any problems? Save your money.

Bob smith at American Diesel will send you a set of rebuilt ones. You change them out and send him back the old ones. Works pretty good.
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom