Fuel Crisis boat trend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we put a lot of value on the 1973 hull which by many accounts is the best fiberglass hull (along with the early 74s) American Marine/Grand Banks ever built.

What makes these two yrs special? Hull layup, or design? Are any of the GBs a displacement hull in the 36-42' sizes?

Since everyone else is throwing out "I wants".....I'd like a 42 Kadey Krogen with single forward stateroom with centerline berth (like the new 39s), solid glass hull, NO exterior teak, forward angled front windows with an overhang, bow thruster, NA 6B Cummins in a stand-up ER, and paravanes. If this could somehow be built with a Nordhavn height bow that would be great. A Nordhavn would meet nearly all of my wants but there was just something about the interior space on the Nordhavns I've checked out that my wife and I both just didn't care for at all, and neither of us could voice why. Santa are ya listening, I've been an :angel:, really I have!

Last edited:
What makes these two yrs special? Hull layup, or design? Are any of the GBs a displacement hull in the 36-42' sizes?

Since everyone else is throwing out "I wants".....I'd like a 42 Kadey Krogen with single forward stateroom with centerline berth (like the new 39s), solid glass hull, NO exterior teak, forward angled front windows with an overhang, bow thruster, NA 6B Cummins in a stand-up ER, and paravanes. If this could somehow be built with a Nordhavn height bow that would be great. A Nordhavn would meet nearly all of my wants but there was just something about the interior space on the Nordhavns I've checked out that my wife and I both just didn't care for at all, and neither of us could voice why. Santa are ya listenin I've been an :angel:, really I have!

check this out

American Tug 41 Hull 35 - YouTube

The original molds for the GB36 and GB42 were designed and built by Howard Abbey, one of the foremost pioneers in big-boat fiberglass hull construction in the early 1970s. Abbey also helped Hatteras get started in fiberglass. From mid-1973 when the GB36 and 42 were switched from wood to fiberglass in the American Marine yard in Singapore until mid-1974 when Abbey left the company, he oversaw the layup of every GB hull. A "Howard Abbey" hull is laid up better than any of the hulls following his departure. Not that the later hulls are bad although American Marine experienced a lot of production problems with hulls over the following years and twice brought Abbey back to straighten things out. But the Abbey hulls are extremely well built.

Until recently, all Grand Banks hulls in all models from 32' to 52' use the same Kenneth Smith semi-planing design he created for the Grand Banks prototype, Spray in the early 1960s. The most recent GB models use new hull designs that, while still semi-planing, are designed for much more speed.

Funny story about a 41 AT. Back when these first came out, we were at the Ft. L'dale Trawler Fest and they had one of these and the next size down. We fell head over heals in love with the 41'er. 3 small problems, 1. not a full dispacement hull, 2. nearly 4 or 5 hundred HP (I forget which), 3. $$$$$$$!
These two had quite a few people waiting to go aboard when we arrived, so we toured the rest of the offerings that appealed to us. By the time we were ready to leave the crowds around the ATs had dissipated, so we boarded the 39? and our minds went on daydream overdrive. But when we got on the 41!!!! WOW. so after all day touring boats in the heat and having boarded something approaching nirvana and being in socks only, and my head on a swivel, I missed the last step coming off the flybridge and somehow managed to jam my right middle toe on the deck and promptly broke it! That made the next week and a half at work a joy, NOT.

Until recently, all Grand Banks hulls in all models from 32' to 52' use the same Kenneth Smith semi-planing design he created for the Grand Banks prototype, Spray in the early 1960s. The most recent GB models use new hull designs that, while still semi-planing, are designed for much more speed.[/QUOTE]

Marin, looks like a planing hull to me. 25 knots:ermm:

Grand Banks Yachts - 43 Heritage EU Overview

I'm curious to see a fuel consumption chart for that express cruiser.

Mark, here is the chart for Moonstruck's 500 hp Yanmar engines. Since there are two engines the fuel consumption can be doubled. In use the figures work out amazingly close to the charts. We will cruise at up to 25-2600 rpm. That gives 26-27 knots which is about 30mph. That gives a fuel burn of about 1 statute mpg. I would think the Grand Banks would be somewhat similar. However, they are turning those engines up pretty good.

http://goldcoastpower.com/db/photos/86872-6.pdf

That gives a fuel burn of about 1 statute mpg. I would think the Grand Banks would be somewhat similar.

That's about $100 an hour. I'm not that much in a hurry. Confirms why I chose a trawler. My friends' eyebrows rise high enough when I tell them the Coot's fill-up costs $1200 (for a 1500-mile range).

That's about $100 an hour. I'm not that much in a hurry. Confirms why I chose a trawler. My friends' eyebrows rise high enough when I tell them the Coot's fill-up costs $1200 (for a 1500-mile range).[/QUOTE

That is about right although for the last 2 weeks or more we have been cruising at a fuel burn not so much more than your boat. With about 10 to 15 miles between islands we are towing the dinghy at about 7-8 knots. When we start back it will be 165 NM in one day. That calls for speed.

I had a trawler style boat similar in size to yours. We burned about 1.75 gal/hr. It was great, but I was limited in where I could go in the time alloted. The 34' express boat I had was a good compromise at 16-17 knots at about 2 statute miles per gallon, but its size was limiting.

Now, we have had this for about 7 years. We go where we want at higher speeds then slow down to smell the roses.

It's all a compromise.

A little anecdote----When I had the trawler there was a house boat on the dock powered by 2 big Crusader gas engines. It seldom left the dock because of fuel burn. He was always asking, "now, how fast does your trawler cruise". One day my answer was, "about 7-8 knots faster than your boat". You could say that about many boats probably in your marina.

The dock boys will often say, "Moonstruck is no dock queen". They know that when we get to the boat we usually have a destination in mind, and go.

I still think about a larger, slower boat. In fact I was just perusing a 53' Selene. Tempting, but a whole lot of boat to maintain. Right now, we are happy with Moonstruck-----but not Xantrex. That is for another thread.

Not with that small keel and deep V bottom. It goes 25 knots because it has some 900 horsepower.:)

My boat has a 16 degree bottom to the transom and 1000hp. No keel. I don't think the "abreviated" keel on the new GB Heritage hull would make it semi planing. At 25 knots the water would clearly be breaking away from the transom. To me that is definitely planing. When Eric comes back, it will be interesting to get his take on it.

That GB Heritage is surely a nice boat no matter what type hull it has.

That is an easy one. Life is a compromise.
All you got to do is list all the things that you like to do that involved some sort of expense you should include the boat on you list re arrange you list with the boat at the top of the list . Now here is the hard part select one item from the list that you know that you can do with out , and dump it , now you will have the money for your boat. At least thai is what i do, also i have found out that we guys have way to many toys, i canseem to keep up with all of mine.
Ps Don't sell your wife's car unless you buy her some roller skates and a cabin for your self in Alaska.

That is an easy one.

Life is a compromise in more ways than one.

All you got to do is list all the things that you like to do that involve some sort of expense you should include the boat on you list , re arrange you list with the boat at the top of the list .

Now here is the hard part select one item from the list that you know that you can do without , and dump it , now you will have the money for your boat. At least thai is what I do, also i have found out that we guys have way to many toys, I can't seem to keep up with all of mine.

Ps.
Don't sell your wife's car unless you buy her some roller skates and a cabin for your self in Alaska...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom