Fuel bleeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
I had to replace the fuel line coming from my tank to my primary racor. The fuel feed comes from the top of the tank, so I'm assuming a dip tube. I've filled the racor housing with fuel, but am wondering if the engine lift pump has the suction to draw fuel up the dip tube, and if so, will any air in the line be enough to shut me down until it's bled. Lehman 135.

I basically did the same with mine last year and there wasn’t an issue.

Ken

If it can idle for 20 minutes without shutting down you’ll be good to go.
Not 10 but 20

If you add an inline electric fuel pump after the Racor, it makes filling the housing faster, easier, and any later bleeding much easier. The electric doesn't have to run during normal operation, the lift pump will pull thru. But the electric will provide fuel in the event of a lift pump failure.
Depending on the fuel level and the placement of the Racor, once fuel is coming into the housing, you can shut off the electric and you have a siphon. Slack the Racor top and the fuel in the line will push out the air, or you can add a small bleed valve in the top of the Racor. You end up with zero air in the housing and lines.

Simple answer, you'll be fine. You'll obviously be standing by, so if there's a stumble, give the throttle a bump faster. The amount of air is likely less than 1/2 cup and your racor holds way more than that.

Thanks all. The no problem people win. Two hour trip today ran like a clock.

Small tip though...on my boat, when the tanks are full, I have never had an issue....

But when they get to about 1/3 full they are down to below where the fuel lines connect to my Racor primaries. Then it becomes dicey if I don't bleed.

So success sometimes may not be all the time.

Back
Top Bottom