Forward = neutral, neutral = reverse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
Both my engines started in forward gear positions but acted like neutral. When I shifted to neutral I actually went into reverse. Almost hit a neighbor boat. I shut down the engines, shifted to neutral position, restarted engines, all ok now. What happened??

I listed the whole story with a different title and got no responses so this may be a duplicate for some readers.

Both my engines started in forward gear positions but acted like neutral. When I shifted to neutral I actually went into reverse. Almost hit a neighbor boat. I shut down the engines, shifted to neutral position, restarted engines, all ok now. What happened??

I listed the whole story with a different title and got no responses so this may be a duplicate for some readers.
I saw your other post. The only thing I can say having some experience with one boat with Hynautic shift controls is that if I tried to move the shifter too quickly the system got "confused" and I had to shut down and gently move it ahead and reverse to "reset" it. I do want to point out this was a very old Hynautic control system.

What type of controls? I've heard about different types of electronic controls doing weird things at times mostly when there is low voltage or voltage issues in general.

My only guess would be an adjustment issue and/or loose linkages. Assuming mechanical shifters, check in the shifter itself in addition to the transmission.

Hynautic website has excellent information for installation and setup of their products.

My guess the poppet valves stuck letting the sync valves in the senders bleed off causing the levers to be out of position. The quick fix when this happens. Engines off, manually put the servo in gear doesn't matter forward or reverse. Then move each sender into the same direction as the servo. Make sure everything is synced and go. If it senders won't stay synced. Try pulling poppet valves and cleaning the screens in them.

What is the servo? I don’t know where the screens are. Guess I’m gonna find out

The servos is the part on the transmission that turns fluid motion into mechanical motion. The screens are on the backside of the poppet valves also referred to as charge valves in the manuals. They are on the splitter block where all the line go out from. Unscrew the valve and the piece that falls out is the screen. The old style valve has a Phillips screw on the end.

The servos is the part on the transmission that turns fluid motion into mechanical motion. The screens are on the backside of the poppet valves also referred to as charge valves in the manuals. They are on the splitter block where all the line go out from. Unscrew the valve and the piece that falls out is the screen. The old style valve has a Phillips screw on the end.

Thank you MJ, very helpful. My splitter block has what looks like adjustment knobs so I assume they unscrew by hand. Do I need to bleed the pressure out before I remove the valves from the splitter?

Sorry life caught up with me, if you haven't done so already. Yes relieve the pressure from the system. The main bronze body the screws go into needs to be removed. The screws seem to adjust the force required to move the levers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom