Ford Lehman smoking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put a recovery bottle on my 135 a long time ago. Just used the generic one from the auto parts store. Didn't change the filler neck or anything...maybe it had already been changed, but it works fine. My 135 is 1986 vintage.

Meridian
ISO (metric)bolt sizes are the world's most commonly used, so you should be able to find one out there somewhere.
M8 is an 8 millimeter (just over 5/16" inch) with a 60 degree angled thread (same as UNC), but the ISO thread is slightly finer than UNC on most sizes.
20.32 threads/inch on M8 vs 18 threads per inch on a 5/16" UNC, so they are not interchangable.
Steve

All it does is eliminate the need to top off the coolant periodically since the way the header tank deals with coolant expansion is to simply blow the excess out the overflow pipe into the drip pan or bilge.

That is how the header tank handles an overfilled system, and it works well.

Since there is almost no pressure in an old boat cooling system , the time to fill coolant levels is HOT . With all the heat expansion in the water the resivoir can be filled to the top..

What ever setup is preferred , keeping air out of the coolant is a worthwhile goal.

FF

Since there is almost no pressure in an old boat cooling system , the time to fill coolant levels is HOT . With all the heat expansion in the water the resivoir can be filled to the top

FF
FF,are you engaging in a little "Marin baiting"?

It is clear from p.19 of the Lehman instruction book:
1.To commence the top up and air bleed of the cooling system procedure with the engine cold, completing it with cap off, thermostat open, air bleed valve closed .
2.Opening the air bleed valve on a hot engine will draw air into the system and "cause overheating"
3. "Extreme care should be taken in removing the cap while the engine is hot".
All of that also accords with commonsense. I`m thinking the metal in the engine expands,reducing the space for the coolant,rather than the coolant expanding,though the effect is the same, excess coolant is forced out. My new caps have reduced coolant loss significantly.
I`d put page 19 up if I had the skill, maybe Marin will, otherwise I`ll get help with it,for Lehman owners who don`t have the engine book. BruceK

The FL120 operators and parts manuals are also available online from various sites. The Grand Banks owners site has them in PDF form in the "manuals" section. I believe you have to be a member to access the manuals section but the GB forum is free to join.

rather than the coolant expanding,

Most liquids expend while heated.

A new law requires fuel to be temperature measured and adjusted for the smaller gallons of hot fuel.

FF

Anyone know why cooling systems are pressurized?

See below for my guess!

Pressurizing raises the boiling point. Thats why a pressure cooker speeds up the cooking process. My guess is that if you can raise the temperature that water/ coolant starts to boil (create steam), the better you can keep the coolant contained.

England was not on the metric system in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when this engine was being manufactured,

What makes you believe the pump was MADE in England?

Just because it is in an engine sold in England?

I believe most of the blocks today are cast in Brazil , machined elsewhere and assembled somewhere else?

How helpful is this????

Thank you sooo much for this info. I'm contemplating purchasing a steel boat with a six cylinder ford lehman diesel .... at least now I know what questions to ask and some things to look for ......... I'll look at the boat on Saturday with my wife --- if there's a :thumb:then we'll proceed to the next step................ what would be the top 5- 10 questions that could be asked regarding this engine.... how often has oil been changed would be one.... no. of engine hours would be another................ primary/secondary fuel filtration set-up ????????? good stuff!!!!!!

The FL120 operators and parts manuals are also available online from various sites. The Grand Banks owners site has them in PDF form in the "manuals" section. I believe you have to be a member to access the manuals section but the GB forum is free to join.

I have mine posted here:

Index of /CHB

Many thanks !!

Subscribed to the GB Forum and sure enough -- manuals galore ...enough reading for a year!!!!! ...... learning continues ... much appreciated john

1980 Ford Lehman, 120 horse, 6 cly. diesel engine. Low hours maybe 2000 hours.
She smokes blue grey out the exhaust. When we drained the oil out of the fuel injector pump their was diesel in it??? Some neighbor say that it could be coming from the valve galley under the valve cover???
Any help would be great.
Kurt

Do Ford Lehmans smoke when started up in the winter?

Do bears $hit in the woods?

Diesel is still oil. Just replace it with the same as in the crankcase when you change the oil. And don't strip the level plug.

Absolutely...........I put extension tubing on the coolant overflow pipe that comes out of the neck of the header tank on each engine and fed it into a cleaned out quart oil bottle that sits in each engine's drip pan. As the coolant heats up the excess is blown out of the tank and down into the bottle. When I do my engine room check before the next day's startup (or whenever the next cold startup is) it's a simple matter to pour the coolant from the quart bottle back into the header.

Hey, Marin, that sounds a bit like something out of "Catch 22" . Remember the guy with a catheter at one end, and drip in the other, and the nurse just swapping the bottles as one emptied and the other filled. You must have read it. If not, I suggest you do....

Hello everyone, FL 120s looking at a boat for sale when start up smokes on the sea trail it smokes not as much coming back but I noticed when the engines were started there was a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust on top of the water, and also at the end of the sea trail, brought the boat back there was a lot of blue purple oily fuel on top of the water was wondering if this is a big concern or a big problem any help would be appreciated These engines are in a 1979 Ocean Alexander

Hello everyone, FL 120s looking at a boat for sale when start up smokes on the sea trail it smokes not as much coming back but I noticed when the engines were started there was a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust on top of the water, and also at the end of the sea trail, brought the boat back there was a lot of blue purple oily fuel on top of the water was wondering if this is a big concern or a big problem any help would be appreciated These engines are in a 1979 Ocean Alexander

Lehman's smoke but shouldn't be pouring fuel out. A sign of incomplete combustion. Could be simple like valve adjustment or expensive like new injectors or very expensive like new rings. How do you know it's fuel and not oil? What are hours on engine?

You need a good mechanic to figure out what is wrong and cost to repair. Every boat has a price.

Mine when cold still puts out a slick, right after new injectors and valve adjustment. Has been doing it for 4000 hours since it was a drop in rebuild.

Hello, i’m not really sure it’s fuel, but with the engines off I can smell diesel at the back of the boat even before the engines are started, the engines had over 7000 hours on them two years ago the injectors were all replaced, The boat has been sitting for several years and the diesel in the boat could be at least five years old, thanks for your help by the way I appreciate it

Suppose one cylinder does not have full compression when cold. The injector still spits fuel. The engine cranks, starts and raw fuel is sent out the exhaust before that cylinder starts to fire.

Hello, i’m not really sure it’s fuel, but with the engines off I can smell diesel at the back of the boat even before the engines are started, the engines had over 7000 hours on them two years ago the injectors were all replaced, The boat has been sitting for several years and the diesel in the boat could be at least five years old, thanks for your help by the way I appreciate it

I would start with adjusting the valve lash. A simple job but you don't own the boat. I would also do a compression check. Another simple job but you don't own the boat. An experienced diesel mechanic would be your best source of info.

7000 hours is high but not a red flag if you have maintenance logs showing oil was changed regularly.

A boat sitting for several years might benefit from a long run at WOT under load. Dump some sta-bil and bio-bor in the tanks. A Racor 500 filter should get rid of any water if present.

Even with clean fuel, new injectors, properly adjusted valves and anything but a hot engine....Lehman's are notorious for a wisp of smoke and a sheen on the water.

Remember the design age of these diesels....even perfect they met none of today's standards for efficiency or pollution control.

If the boat is otherwise acceptable, agree a price and move to survey, starting with the mechanical surveyor. Be prepared to spend some money and walk if the survey is bad. You may need to negotiate permission for more invasive than usual mechanical surveying.
At 7000 hours there are multiple potential causes. Unburnt fuel in the exhaust is a Lehman characteristic but yours sounds excessive, like smelling diesel at the transom even before the engines are fired up. It may help point the way for the surveyor.

Even with clean fuel, new injectors, properly adjusted valves and anything but a hot engine....Lehman's are notorious for a wisp of smoke and a sheen on the water.

Remember the design age of these diesels....even perfect they met none of today's standards for efficiency or pollution control.

Yup, mine did this even right after all the valve lash and and new injectors. Heck, I had one of my 120s completely rebuilt including boring the cylinders and all new pistons, etc. I had its injector pump rebuilt too. Smoked just like its several thousand hour brother across the center aisle of the engine room! That fuel sheen on the water at idle is normal.

They all do it, to a degree. New injectors help a bit but the Lehman marks its territory when cold. Messy but it is what it is.

Agree. A sheen at low speeds / idle is completely normal with most mechanical diesels. The smoke if white is just diesel with incomplete combustion.

Meridian
ISO (metric)bolt sizes are the world's most commonly used, so you should be able to find one out there somewhere.
M8 is an 8 millimeter (just over 5/16" inch) with a 60 degree angled thread (same as UNC), but the ISO thread is slightly finer than UNC on most sizes.
20.32 threads/inch on M8 vs 18 threads per inch on a 5/16" UNC, so they are not interchangable.
Steve

So the bolt thread on the drain plug in the mimmec pump is 8mm and the thread count is 20.

Would love confirmation from the folks who know

So the bolt thread on the drain plug in the mimmec pump is 8mm and the thread count is 20.

Would love confirmation from the folks who know

*if* it’s metric, and I don’t know that it is, it’s not measured that way. Metric bolt threads are measured by pitch, not count. An M8 bolt for example may have a thread PITCH of 1mm or 1.25mm.

Ken

*if* it’s metric, and I don’t know that it is, it’s not measured that way. Metric bolt threads are measured by pitch, not count. An M8 bolt for example may have a thread PITCH of 1mm or 1.25mm.

Ok. Understood. I was seeing t numbers when i was searching the webs.

I may just pull it and go to home depot. Lol.

Ill report back though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom