Ford Lehman Runaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks SoWhat. Much as I thought. Take note, MV Darlin.

Ski, is this an issue primarily with the FL120 or does it also apply to the 135? Mine will have been sitting for approx. 22 months when I attempt to fire them up next April and I'd like to know what to plan for. Thanx!

This applies to most any mechanical injected diesel. And it is rare. But easy to prepare for, just have a way to choke off air completely when someone else hits the starter. If engine starts and idles fine, you did not have the problem.

Low probability/high consequence type problem, with easy avoidance.

I spent many years working in a Cadillac store back in the 70's and 80's. The Cadillac V8 had a habit of forming carbon deposits. We would have cars come in knocking like a bad piston. The owners were obviously upset when they arrived. We would take the car out back with a quart of ATF. Run the first half quart down the carb while working the throttle (Created more white smoke than you can imagine) Then choke it out with the second half. Let the car sit for a half hour and then run it down the highway. Good as new.

One day I threw the new guy (kid) the wrong set of keys and asked him to perform the procedure as stated above. The keys were for a diesel Eldorado. When he dumped the ATF down the throttle body of that diesel the engine screamed. The poor guy came back in the shop white as a ghost and shaking. It took me an hour of apologizing to get him to stay and not quit his job. I feel bad to this day just thinking about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom