Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
RE: Ford Lehman Runaway

Just to emphasize what Rick said, you had one runaway - don't let yourself get drawn into a financial runaway.* This might be a bit more than you had in mind but its just an asking price:

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.c...hread_ID=36281

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Spoke with Bob today and he's sending me the top end gasket kit, the manifold gasket kit and agrred with my opinion to pull the head and have it examined before any further work. If the valves look fine and the head is still flat, he thinks I'm probably out of the woods. Will cross my fingers and hope, but will still be looking for cummins 6bt on the side!
patzfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well.... number 2 cylinder is ugly and will need repair. Will have mechanic review on Monday or Tuesday. If its a major cost repair, I debating replacing my engine and wanted to get some opinions on what I should use. I've read and been told to use 4bt or 6bt Cummins and the John Deere 4045T.

Any thoughts..??
Attached Thumbnails
p9170002.jpg   p9170001.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ford Lehman Runaway

You can also get a new engine for about that. Since most on this forum underload most of the time smaller engines would be a real blessing. The 75hp Beta/Kubota comes to mind and Isuzu and Mitsubishi also have excellent new engines that are naturally aspirated. Why rebuild an old British built tractor engine???

Now I see that aluminum coated cylinder. Much of the aluminum that came off that piston is almost certainly throughout the engine now. At least everywhere lube oil goes. As someone else alluded to consider the fact that Bob Smith and the mechanics are heavily biased to action on your part that will help them make them a living. The above would be highly inclined to sell you parts and/or services that MAY get you out of the woods only to find out you/they didn't go far enough and then you could buy MORE parts and services that will Probably get you where you need to be*** .....but not for sure. And it's not unlikely at all you'd be in deeper than the cost of new engines. I'd recommend finding someone like yourself that has one Lehman in fair condition to sell cheap or buy new engines. The old engine could be your parts store if you could find a fairly good replacement. There must be many used old Lehmans out there. If you buy new think of how much of the new engine cost you'll get back (when you sell(and that's almost always sooner than we think)) and you'll have the joy of running w new engines. And that is very nice indeed.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 18th of September 2011 01:59:58 PM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Ford Lehman Runaway

I'm not sure of the $$ differential, but a 4 vs 6 cyl* is not a lot of $$. If you change out engines, you have*the opportunity to paint the ER.*A 210 Cummins is my vote, maybe factory reman would save you $$. You are close to Seaboard Marine, you may want to drive up and talk with them about choices and install.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 18th of September 2011 03:46:18 PM
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
patzfan4eva wrote:AND YES Rick!! I was looking for someone to hold my hand and tell me it would be alright!! Where were you on that one? lol
*It looks like you have your answer.

Believe me, it does not give me any pleasure to have my suspicions confirmed. I am sorry for the expense and loss of use of your boat for who knows how long but I am glad you didn't simply accept the advice of someone whose primary interest is in selling you parts.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Ford Lehman Runaway

Any thoughts..??

We know what the old engine was ,

but would need your best log numbers of speed vs fuel burn as well as RPM vs speed.

Second question is the boat performance OK with you?

Prop size pitch blade count?

Is there room perhaps for a larger diameter prop?

What would you enjoy the most?

Low fuel burn, low installed cost , low cost parts, sound level, vibration level?

All will be part of the engine choice.

First is pricing the cost of a completer out of boat rebuild for your engine vs a "drop in" new replacement.

First question for the rebuilder is how many of these have you done in your lifetime?

-- Edited by FF on Monday 19th of September 2011 04:07:40 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #28
Guru

You are in a tough situation for sure.

If it were me I would go with a Cummins reman 6BT 210. These are factory rebuilt engines and probably the best deal out there. You won't like the vibration a 4BT*will give at lower*rpm. *

Rebuilds can be a crap shoot at times. I have known people who get theirs rebuilt by places with excellent reputations, and they make mistakes. Like FF said you need someone with experience in THAT enigne*for sure. That's a starting point.

Perhaps Ralph Yost will chime in here as he just went thru this ealier this season. He bought a Bob Smith rebuild.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Hit the boat shows this season. There will be lots of options.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Was the root cause of this ever determined?* Was it a bad fuel pump seal?

I'm hoping to learn from your misfortune...* How could this issue have been prevented?I had a bad oil/tranny heat exchanger cost me a completely rebuilt tranny that could have* been prevented by simply checking the transmission fluid level and I would have seen it that it was milky.

If I understand correctly, a high lube oil level might indicate fuel oil in the lube oil which could in turn cause the runaway.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Well, Tuesday will tell me more. The Insurance Marine Surveyor will be reviewing the engine and head to see what, where and how it failed. My insurance covers exploritory service which I hope helps me cover the cost of the engine removal. As far as rebuilding the engine, its both cheaper and easier than*re-powering, but if the engine can't be saved its good to have some opinions on the next option. I hear all of your point regarding the "20 year tractor motor" but its a simple bullet proof mechanical engine that with a proper rebuild will be a long life power plant.

I hope to report more news on Wed or Thursday and will post more pics when things become available.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Well, no new news. Except engine will have to come out and be completely rebuilt. After doing some significant research here in MDR including talking with my friend Bruce Kessler, its clear that rebuilding this engine is the far best option. I'll take some photos and include them as the removal, rebuild and reinstallation occur.

Thanks for all of your advice.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Hey David,
Somehow I missed this post and I eat this stuff up. I saw your earlier post about the rebuild DVD. A couple of thoughts, and hopefully I have not missed anything in the earlier posts. Do you know the reason for the runaway? Second, If #2 piston galled, any idea why? From what I have read an overheated Lehman would usually gall and sieze #6, then 5. I personally would build your current engine. This eliminates throttle, alternator wiring, fuel system tie in, motor mounts, etc. etc.!!! My attention would be on the "liner projection" of number two cylinder since it had so much friction in the hole trying to push the liner up and down. I have never built a Lehman so I am not sure if it has a flange at the top or bottom or if it is a wet or dry liner. If the area this liner rests on ended up with some wear it would need to be shimmed to lift it so the head gasket doesn't leak.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Well the result was a stuck rack in the 30 year old fuel injection pump, after having that rebuilt, sleeving two holes and a complete rebuild (total $5500) Here's the result!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Ah, the reassuring rattle of an FL120. Priceless. $5500 sounds good value for a full rebuild.
BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #36

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Another thing to check is the rubber exhaust hose as excess heat will cause it to delaminate and collapse causing a blockage it the pipe.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #37

City: Hawaii Kai
Vessel Name: Howemet
Vessel Model: 1982 30ft Lien Hwa Sea Horse
David... the new exhaust manifold for the FL 120 is appx 2500.00 from AD. Nice set up... but pricey. Both Bob and his son are SME's on all things pertaining to FL.
Another option if you desire is Greg Lilienthal at BOMAC Marine in GA. I recently bought a new 143 hp Ford Dover from him. The engine is amazing with sweet upgrades that make maintaining the engine much more simple. Fits exact demisions of old Lehman. Roughly same fuel economy and give me an additonal 2 knots of speed. I still troll at 7 kts but now @ 1450 rpms instead of 1750. He also has complete rebuilt FL's and all parts. He is also a Marine! Semper Fi Greg!

Good luck with your existing engine. No way to tell real damage or project longevity. Run her properly till she goes. You can get oil analysis kits from NAPA or teh like to set metal content in oil that will give you a better SWAG of what may be going on inside.

regards,

Capt Pete Hopley
Honolulu, HI
Howemet
Pete Hopley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Pete,

I'm drooling, what kind of upgades did you come up with the guys at BOMAC to get 143 BHP. Would love to have a little more power
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #39

City: Hawaii Kai
Vessel Name: Howemet
Vessel Model: 1982 30ft Lien Hwa Sea Horse
Ford Dover 143 HP replacement for Ford Lehman

David,

It has a serpentine belt for water pump and alternator. Alternator is on top of the engine instead of down low. It has a consolidated heat exchanger and exhuast mainfold that eliminates the heat exchanger off the back of the engine. It has a constant oil fed fuel injector eliminating the need to change injector oil every 50 hours as recommended in old FL manual. It has a sweet fuel prime and filter inline before lift pump. there is no requirement to continue checking held bolt torque. Basically someone who has worked on the FL's for years made it a much easier engine to maintain and provide more horsepower.

regards,

Pete
Pete Hopley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #40

Re stuck rack / runaway. You have to religiously change injector pump oil every 50 hrs to avoid this problem.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote