Ford Lehman minnimec injection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golderskookum

My 2700 series 6 cylinder 120 hp ford Lehman is brilliant. 5 years of purring below decks. Twice however the stop button has failed. The first time was just wiring to the solenoid getting corroded. This time however the solenoid is working fine. The stop lever on the Minimec injectors moves smartly but does not cut off the fuel. The shaft of the fuel cut off lever has a second shaft inside it. If I put vise grips on this shaft and just tweak it about 5 degrees the engine stops. Sometimes if I pump the stop button to the solenoid it also stops but not always and then I have to open the hatch and tweak the inside shaft with the vise grips.. Any advice appreciated

Maybe your cable has stretched and requires adjustment to get full travel to the shutoff lever? I've had to adjust mine on my Perkins.

Go for the easiest solution first, like Flywright suggested, but considering your Lehman is probably nearing social security (does that even exist anymore?) it might be time for an injector pump rebuild. I hope it's the easy solution.

What is with the two shafts? The outer shaft is connected to the shut off lever the inner shaft is the one I tweaked about 5 degrees to shut off the flow?

The motor has been flawless for the last five years and has about 2000 hours total. The injector pump has been given fresh oil every 50 hours. There is no indication of diesel in the injector oil.

My 2700 series 6 cylinder 120 hp ford Lehman is brilliant. 5 years of purring below decks. Twice however the stop button has failed. The first time was just wiring to the solenoid getting corroded. This time however the solenoid is working fine. The stop lever on the Minimec injectors moves smartly but does not cut off the fuel. The shaft of the fuel cut off lever has a second shaft inside it. If I put vise grips on this shaft and just tweak it about 5 degrees the engine stops. Sometimes if I pump the stop button to the solenoid it also stops but not always and then I have to open the hatch and tweak the inside shaft with the vise grips.. Any advice appreciated

First make sure the plunger on the solenoid is retracting all the way into the solenoid body and bottoming out.

If not, take the plunger out, clean and lube the plunger, clean out the cylinder the plunger rides in, reassemble and see if that helps.

If the plunger is pulling all the way into the solenoid body and bottoming out them adjust the travel on the solenoid arm.

If none of that works then it may be time to have a knowledgable pro look at it to determine if it's time to have the pump rebuilt.

image.jpgThere seem to be several versions of the pump on these engines. If the stop lever has what appears to be a button or second smaller shaft running through the center of the main fuel cut-off lever shaft it may be the excess fuel button for cold starting. If it is sticking it may be providing enough excess fuel to keep the motor running. Some light lube oil and cycling the button in and out might help.

So thanks to av8r. The second shaft is indeed the excess fuel button which I have never used as we are cruising summers only in Europe on our Dutch steel cruiser Skookum. I sprayed it and worked it in and out a few times and presto the stop function now is back in business. Thank you Trawler Forum and all who sail in you.

Back
Top Bottom