Ford Lehman 135

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
A boat I have had my eye on for a couple of years has come up for sale. Its a vintage 1986 motorsailor. So far appears to have been meticulously maintained. I am scheduled to go look at it later this week.

I am slightly concerned about the twin FL135's in it, though. I read all the time (here on the forum) that they are great engines and run forever. But I am wary of spending 400k on a boat that has 34 year old engines. Assuming the engines pass mechanical survey, how readily available are parts for these motors? What parts are not available for them? Are most marine mechanics familiar with them? What would a re-power look like (worst case scenario), financially?

TIA
Scott

I don’t know of any parts that are not available for the 135s. The expert is Brian at American Diesel. 804-435-3107. He will be able to tell you for sure.

We have a single FL SP135. Parts are readily available from several sources. Heat exchangers and oil/transmission coolers are still made by SeaKamp. These are pretty bullet proof engines. One advantage of the 135 over the 120s is the fuel injector pump doesn’t require a separate oil change and the cooling system is less susceptible to overheating.

We rebuilt our engine at ~8,500 hours. We had it out to replace the fuel tanks and decided to go for it even though the oil analysis were about perfect.. Cost complete was right around $11K not including transportion, removal and installing.

Ready to dump Lehman and repower

Anyone have experience in repowering a 49 RPH defever? I’m over the Lehman engines and trying to maintain them. I want something more people know how to work on and can get parts for. Open to suggestions

Up to 2020 when I sold my twin Lehman engined boat I had no trouble getting parts ,though I think the exhaust manifold is a problem. A basic mechanical NA diesel anyone could work on. There was even a useful engine book with exploded diagrams and part numbers. And I`m in Australia, while American Diesel is in USA.
But, not your experience in Seattle, though while I was visiting once, Fred Warner successfully shipped parts to our hotel.
You`ll have a commodious ER, lots of engines will fit in there.

Anyone have experience in repowering a 49 RPH defever? I’m over the Lehman engines and trying to maintain them. I want something more people know how to work on and can get parts for. Open to suggestions

I can’t imagine repowering to get rid of Lehmans. I had Lehmans in my last boat and they were great engines. I got parts and super support from American Diesel. What is wrong with yours that you would be willing to spend $80K to get rid of them?

Over the Lehmans, one of the easiest, trouble-free engines ever put in a boat? Surely, you jest.

A boat I have had my eye on for a couple of years has come up for sale. Its a vintage 1986 motorsailor. So far appears to have been meticulously maintained. I am scheduled to go look at it later this week.

I am slightly concerned about the twin FL135's in it, though. I read all the time (here on the forum) that they are great engines and run forever. But I am wary of spending 400k on a boat that has 34 year old engines. Assuming the engines pass mechanical survey, how readily available are parts for these motors? What parts are not available for them? Are most marine mechanics familiar with them? What would a re-power look like (worst case scenario), financially?

TIA
Scott
Parts are readily accessible from several sources, the best of which is American Diesel. This is NOT a problem.

Those engines do not know they are 35 years old. If they were taken care of they will easily go 10,000 hours. Do not even think of repowering.

On a 35 year old boat the engines are the least of your worries.

How big is the boat? $400,00 sounds high.

pete

Hi - First - please don't hijack old posts - confuses us old folks. Start a new one (they're free!).

Second - just did '1000' hour maintenance on our 135s - new coolant pump, oil coolers, rebuilt injectors, adjusted valves - no issue getting parts and great mechanics in the PNW that know how to work on them (and they now purrr, little to no smoke, no more diesel sheen, ...).

Sounds like you've had specific issues - if you would share them I am sure folks on this forum have encountered them and have feedback/opinions.

Welcome Aboard.

Those engines do not know they are 35 years old. If they were taken care of they will easily go 10,000 hours. Do not even think of repowering.

On a 35 year old boat the engines are the least of your worries.

How big is the boat? $400,00 sounds high.

pete

How about 20,000 hours. Bob Smith told me that the watermen in the Chesapeake would bring their engines in to him at 20K hours for a preventative rebuild. But they take care of their engines and run them every day.

Engines in commercial use often go much longer than recreational.

People scoff at the gas engine hours of between 4-5000 that I experienced quite often but many rec guys decide to repower before 2000 because that's what so many "published experts" said were their demise time.... often it was for reasons not due to just hours.

In my experience the same is often true with diesels as rec guys tend to abuse them in different ways..... the most common is infrequent use or over-temping.

My boat's previous owner ruined the original and short block replacement in less than a couple thousand hours.

I don’t know of any parts that are not available for the 135s. The expert is Brian at American Diesel. 804-435-3107. He will be able to tell you for sure.

Brian’s the man. His father, Bob Smith, now deceased, was the one who originally marinized the Ford Lehman and knew that engine upside down and inside out. Brian learned well from his dad. American diesel is famous for handing out free advice on the Lehman. Buy your Lehman parts and supplies from them and they will take good care of you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom