Old 06-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Ford Lehman 135

A boat I have had my eye on for a couple of years has come up for sale. Its a vintage 1986 motorsailor. So far appears to have been meticulously maintained. I am scheduled to go look at it later this week.

I am slightly concerned about the twin FL135's in it, though. I read all the time (here on the forum) that they are great engines and run forever. But I am wary of spending 400k on a boat that has 34 year old engines. Assuming the engines pass mechanical survey, how readily available are parts for these motors? What parts are not available for them? Are most marine mechanics familiar with them? What would a re-power look like (worst case scenario), financially?

TIA
Scott

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I don’t know of any parts that are not available for the 135s. The expert is Brian at American Diesel. 804-435-3107. He will be able to tell you for sure.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have a single FL SP135. Parts are readily available from several sources. Heat exchangers and oil/transmission coolers are still made by SeaKamp. These are pretty bullet proof engines. One advantage of the 135 over the 120s is the fuel injector pump doesn’t require a separate oil change and the cooling system is less susceptible to overheating.

We rebuilt our engine at ~8,500 hours. We had it out to replace the fuel tanks and decided to go for it even though the oil analysis were about perfect.. Cost complete was right around $11K not including transportion, removal and installing.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote