Old 06-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #1

City: Manly qld
Ford Lehman 120hp conversion to NMEA sender units

Hi all have the Ford Lehman 120 and have 4 x Raymarine E140w installed and would love to use the gauges and other monitoring equipment in the E140w arsenal, is it possible to install nmea compatible sender units in place of the old analog units ? Does seem the easiest way around this problem rather than installing conversion box Analog to NMEA ?
Would ideally like engine Temp , revs , oil pressure , water pump pressure may be even EGT and I see the e120w has a flow meter reader that would be handy as the Lehman 120 returns bigger all to the tank.
Thanks in advance guys.
Michael 😀
Mobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Lehman 120s return almost no fuel to the tank.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:50 AM   #3

Hi Comdav the auto correct changed bugger all to bigger all , I know they return very little to the tank 😀
Old 06-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobcat View Post
Hi all have the Ford Lehman 120 and have 4 x Raymarine E140w installed and would love to use the gauges and other monitoring equipment in the E140w arsenal, is it possible to install nmea compatible sender units in place of the old analog units ? Does seem the easiest way around this problem rather than installing conversion box Analog to NMEA ?
Would ideally like engine Temp , revs , oil pressure , water pump pressure may be even EGT and I see the e120w has a flow meter reader that would be handy as the Lehman 120 returns bigger all to the tank.
Thanks in advance guys.
Michael 😀
A conversion box is not hard to install. You can piggyback off the existing senders, keep the old displays in place and get the data into your Raymarine unit. I've used Alba Combi to do so with Simrad and it works well. It's your call whether that is preferred over replacing all the old senders on the engines with new N2K senders.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Hi Comdav the auto correct changed bugger all to bigger all , I know they return very little to the tank 😀
Don’t you love auto correct...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:19 AM   #6

Sounds good the conversion box, I wonder if it’s possible to just replace the senders ��
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Sounds good the conversion box, I wonder if it’s possible to just replace the senders ��

Don’t complicate the simple.

If your existing senders are working fine, use them in conjunction with a N2k interface to send the engine data to your Raymarine gear. We went with Chetco Digital, but there are others (Actisense, Noland, etc) that will do a great job.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Don’t complicate the simple.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:15 PM   #9

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
If your existing senders are working fine, use them in conjunction with a N2k interface to send the engine data to your Raymarine gear. We went with Chetco Digital, but there are others (Actisense, Noland, etc) that will do a great job.
How have you found the Chetco?

We were interested in that solution as well...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
How have you found the Chetco?

We were interested in that solution as well...
Excellent product and support. The owner (who designed the unit and knows all its specs) answers the phone and is patient with all tech questions. If a change is needed, they will send a file to upload into the unit.

As far as the data, everything is seamlessly integrated into the Raymarine network.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #11

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Based on your above recommendation I'm going to go with the Chetco. On my installation I was thinking about mounting it in the vicinity of the dash since all of the analog gauges are right there. Or does it need to go in the engine room? Also, did you keep your analog gauges as a backup? Any interference running both off the same wire(s)? 1982 Ford 120 Lehman with Garmin NEMA 2K network.

Thanks!
sjcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #12

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Serene
Vessel Model: Blue Seas 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcare View Post
Based on your above recommendation I'm going to go with the Chetco. On my installation I was thinking about mounting it in the vicinity of the dash since all of the analog gauges are right there. Or does it need to go in the engine room? Also, did you keep your analog gauges as a backup? Any interference running both off the same wire(s)? 1982 Ford 120 Lehman with Garmin NEMA 2K network.

Thanks!
I am interesting in this topic too. Not on my immediate 'to do' list but something of interest for the future.
Serene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:33 AM   #13

City: Rockland, Maine
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
We did this with a Noland RS 11 data converter. It takes analog data from the inputs of the gauges on your helm panel and translates them into NMEA2000 for your MSD's. I found it easy to install with just a bit of adjustment of the data through the computer interface.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote