Ford Lehman 120 Rotation Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandBanks42

Vessel Name
Never Ends
Vessel Make
Grand Banks
Hi All, I’m in Looking at purchasing a used Lehman 120 to replace my STBD motor in our GB 42. Does anyone know if the PORT and STBD motors rotate differently or is this done via the transmission? And if the motors rotate opposite, how do you know which is which?

Typically opposite rotation is handled by the Velvet Drive CR2 transmission. The CR2 reduction gear housing has ribs contrasted to the mostly smooth 71C reduction housing. (the aft end of the transmission)

Hi All, I’m in Looking at purchasing a used Lehman 120 to replace my STBD motor in our GB 42. Does anyone know if the PORT and STBD motors rotate differently or is this done via the transmission? And if the motors rotate opposite, how do you know which is which?

It is only the rare installation that will counter rotate the engines, this is typically done through the transmission. Most ‘normal rotation’ engines will turn clockwise when viewed from the rear looking forward, however the Lehman is a British design so it may be the other way, I don’t recall.

It is only the rare installation that will counter rotate the engines, this is typically done through the transmission. Most ‘normal rotation’ engines will turn clockwise when viewed from the rear looking forward, however the Lehman is a British design so it may be the other way, I don’t recall.

Um, my Yanmars turn clockwise when viewed from the front. So did my Volvo.

Nobody answered the original question directly yet, so I will...

ALL Lehman’s rotate in one direction only.

Ken

Yep, all Lehmans I've seen are CW as viewed at the front, looking aft. Called std rotation. Change in prop shaft rotation is done with the gears. Some engines like DD, Perkins, Cummins can be rev rotation, but that goes back like 30yrs for those brands.

Gassers and outboards are often counter rotation. F.L.s are not. Ask Brian at A.D.

Pete

Thank you all so much for your reply’s, I really appreciate it. One thing I’ve learned is that no matter how observant I am, it seems there is always something I miss to observe, hence, after all these years of cruising our GB, I’ve never paid attention to the motor(s) rotation :banghead:

Greetings,
Mr. 42. It's a good day when you learn something but I figure as long as things are working as they should, it's OK. Sing along if you're so inclined...

Nobody answered the original question directly yet, so I will...

ALL Lehman’s rotate in one direction only.

Ken

Hey, it only took 5 replies to answer the OP's question. Not too bad! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom