Old 10-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Black Creek
Vessel Name: Ttssang
Vessel Model: 1974 Roughwater 35
Ford Lehman 120 -Oil Level

Does anyone know of a diesel mechanic that knows old Ford Lehman's in the Black Creek, Campbell River, Courtenay, Comox area? I have a question about the oil level and I'm going to post a picture of my dipstick. I've read other posts that mention the engine being on an angle and the full level being at the scratch mark on the dipstick. I just purchased this boat and during the sea trial the oil level was at the normal full mark and not at the angled scratch mark on my dipstick. The boat has not been used much in the past year and there was some white smoke at start up and some oil in the exhaust. I changed the oil and put in approximately 14.5 litres and the mark is now at the original Min level but above the lower scratch mark. I still think I may have too much oil in the engine. The oil pressure is hovering between 30 and 40 psi when running at 1700 rpm and the engine temp is steady at 195. There's a small trace of oil in the exhaust. Any advice is appreciated.

Ttsaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I would call Brian at American Diesel 804-435-3107. His dad was the Lehman all time guru before he passed away. Now Brian is the man. I think that he will tell you to drain the oil and put in the specific amount then mark the dipstick. I have 225s and mine take 22.5 quarts. The 14.5 liters sounds high to me but I am not absolutely sure about a 120.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Local mechanics that don't have the Lehman history down are just local mechs.

More research is needed if they can't answer simple questions about the engine.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. "...mine take 22.5 quarts. The 14.5 liters sounds high to me..." 14.5 liters is 15.3 US quarts.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
+1 on contact with Brian at American Diesel. If anyone can be considered a Lehman expert it is him. His dad was one of the persons responsible for marinizing the Ford diesel engine and creating the Lehman, and worked side by side with him at American Diesel supporting all of us.

If you have a Lehman 120 it is most likely the 2715E, that will be on the metal plate on the valve cover, somewhat like the one below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180909_150433.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	94920

The FL 120 takes 12 quarts (3 gallons US). That would be approximately 11.4 liters.

Name:	Lehman oil capacity snapshot.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	94918

Here is the relevant section from the FL manual about checking the oil and the remarking of the dipstick due to the engine not being installed level...

Name:	Lehman oil dipstick snapshot.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	94919

I just uploaded a very good quality scan of the Lehman manual to this site that I had found. The above two screen captures are from it. Here is the link Trawler Forum - Library - Lehman 120 - Good Quality Scan

What the above tells you is that basically, after changing the filter, you should put in 12 quarts, run the engine, allow it all to drain through, and there should be a full mark at where the oil is sitting in the engine in your boat.

The original full mark becomes irrelevant when the engine is tipped and the oil now occupies a different footprint in the oil pan. I don't have a picture here at the house, but IIRC the factory full mark is above my "adjusted-as-installed" marks. I would suggest you pull the oil back out, and put in 12 qts and see what it lines up with.

Post a pic of your dipstick even better if you have more questions.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Tt. We have twin Lehman 120's. I also have the scratched-in mark on both dipsticks. One "problem" I had in the past is that if I filled to the scratch level I would very quickly lose (probably burnt) 1 qt in a very short period of time (about 10-15 hrs). Initially I was diligent about keeping the oil topped up but still that loss of 1 qt.

At one oil change, I left the oil level 1 qt "low" and that level stayed the same for most of the next 100 hrs or so. This suggests to me that the scratch is in the wrong place on MY engines and I was overfilling. I now fill/maintain at the lower level.

I still have to add oil on occasion but I am better able to sense what is "normal". Daily ER fluid checks and general ER checks every 4 hours or so while cruising.

Also keep in mind that you can never drain all the oil out of the pan due to the mounting angle. I don't know how much might be retained but that will have an effect on the replacement volume, as well. I'm guessing in my case it's probably that 1 qt.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Keep in mind that there have been cases where the wrong dipstick has been installed so the marks are way off. I also find that if I donít keep my oil to the top mark I donít loose as much oil. When I top them off they always burn about 1/2 quart so I donít top them off.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I end up with 13 qts in mine upon changing, the filter holds a bit.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies, I'm about to read through them. Here's some pictures. When I check the oil, the full line at the moment is at the top part of the M in Minimum.
Another question, I changed the engine mounted fuel filters and the white plastic bleeder on one of them seems a little cross threaded and difficult to thread back on. Is this something I can get from American Diesel or is there a place on Vancouver Island I can order from?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2494.jpg   IMG_2495.jpg   IMG_2497.jpg  
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
TF Site Team

My secondary fuel filters are not like that so I donít know about the plastic piece. BTW, do you know about changing the oil in your injector pump? It is recommended at 50 hours to start with until you learn how soon your engine dilutes the oil. Be careful with the screws I understand they are easy to strip.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes I changed the oil in the injector pump.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My scratch is the same as yours, about 3/4 of an inch below the "M". I HATE those plastic drains on the secondary fuel filters. Next time I have mine apart I intend to replace them with a brass valve with a barbed fitting leading to a short piece of hose. I always spill some when I drain the filters prior to changing them. I have a similar set up on my Raycors and it makes filter changes possible without spilling a drop. It took me a few changes to figure it out. By the way, my primary filters are mounted sort of high so there is good flow when I drain them.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Do you use the scratch as your full mark?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
Guru

Not rocket science. Drain oil pour in 3 ga. Run ,shut off mark dipstick.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oil level update

So I drained my oil and put back in 11.4 litres (12 quarts) my oil level is now right at the scratch mark, even at the same angle.
The motor has 975 hours on it, when I bought it it had 930 hours. I notice from the past logs that the previous owners have been overfilling the oil by quite a bit for the last couple of oil changes, maybe longer. When I had the mechanic check over the motor during the purchase I noticed some oil in the exhaust, the mechanic said not to worry that the boat had been sitting for a long time. To bring the boat home when I bought it I had to travel approximately 75 NM. Every time I started it I noticed a little oil coming out in the exhaust. (oil pressure is always around 30 psi and water temp at 195) Now that I have the oil at the proper level I'll see if I can get out for a trip and see if there's still oil in the exhaust. I would prefer to not have any oil in the exhaust and I'm wondering if having it overfilled all that time has caused any damage to the engine or if there's anything I can do besides keeping the oil at the proper level to mitigate any damage or wear? Any advise or input is appreciated.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
How do you know its oil and not fuel in the exhaust? They both make a sheen on the water.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Good point, I don't know if it's oil or fuel. from my logs I see that my injector pump was re-built in the last couple of years. I've also been reading further and I see that it's common for these FL 120's to have a sheen at start up. I will monitor the situation.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #18
TF Site Team

The 11.4 sounds much better. I doubt that it hurt the engine, Lehmans seem to push out the extra until it gets to the level it wants. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #19
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttsaang View Post
Good point, I don't know if it's oil or fuel. from my logs I see that my injector pump was re-built in the last couple of years. I've also been reading further and I see that it's common for these FL 120's to have a sheen at start up. I will monitor the situation.
The sheen is unburnt fuel. The amount will vary with engine temperatures. Keep in mind that the Lehmanís run cool, especially at idle. Will only reach operation temperature under load. You will almost always see a sheen at idle.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The 11.4 sounds much better. I doubt that it hurt the engine, Lehmans seem to push out the extra until it gets to the level it wants. Good luck.
That is my experience as well

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote