Old 07-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Charleston wv
Ford lehman 120 #6 cylinder

I've just purchased a 37' trawler with a single lehman 120 and while it runs good now I plan to do maintenance on it and protect from future problems.....from all I've read the Lehman's seem to be good engines as long as you do proper maintenance but 1 common problem I see is cylinder 6 getting hot and destroying piston .....besides making sure there is proper clean oil in the engine and its getting good water and the heat exchangers are working good..... is there any after market products or ways to ensure that #6 cylinder stays cool to protect it?

Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Yes, it is a known problem. I am not sure if there is anything to do about it, maybe make sure you have a good impeller so you get max water flow. I would call Brian at American Diesel. He is the Lehman guru and has always been helpful to me. 804-435-3107

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Expansion Tank Neck & Recovery System
https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/adf...=1584478468913
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
Guru

I think flushing the antifreeze cooling system and having fresh coolant is also important
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
The classical problem with in line 6 cylinder engines is that the #6 cylinder develops an air pocket that limits coolant flow and allows it to overheat. American Diesel's Expansion Tank Neck and Recovery system should minimize that problem.

But talk to American Diesel about it. They are the Lehman pros.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I think flushing the antifreeze cooling system and having fresh coolant is also important
I'm not sure if some lehman trawlers have closed systems with a radiator ? Or how that works but ours is raw water from river/ocean through strainer into impeller water pump block oil and transmission coolers and back out exhaust so no antifreeze in system just river or ocean water
Old 07-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
The classical problem with in line 6 cylinder engines is that the #6 cylinder develops an air pocket that limits coolant flow and allows it to overheat. American Diesel's Expansion Tank Neck and Recovery system should minimize that problem.

David
And ty on the tip about the expansion tank neck ....I vaguely understand how the cooling system works in the lehman raw water comes in goes through a strainer then to impeller / water pump block oil coolers transmission coolers and back out the exhaust but I sorta don't understand the purpose of the expansion tank neck and recovery system ....its my vague misunderstanding of how the cooling system operates that I cant wrap my head around how that would help that #6 cylinder but ty for the tip and I'll call AD maybe they can explain it.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I have never heard of a Ford Lehman with only raw water cooling, but if you have one then the expansion tank wouldn’t really serve a purpose.

Do you not have a good sized heat exchanger on the back of the engine? It would be about 3-4” in diameter and maybe 16” long?

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
It is two different possibilities you are talking about. Consider these two summaries:neither are really true but #2 is closer than #1
FIRST: The #6 cylinder often overheats and ruins F.L. engines
VS
SECOND:When a F.L. fails, it is often the #6 cylinder.

F.L. 120's seldom, rarely, almost never have a catastrophic failure. Keep your impellers in good condition. When one does fail make sure you get all the pieces out of the engine. I guess changing the antifreeze occasionally wouldn't hurt. Watch your temp gauge.

Don't worry about Ole #6

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #10

City: Kenai
Vessel Name: Parallel Dimension
Vessel Model: Seasport
Some where I have read that there is a way to route more cooling to the #6 cylinder??? I can't find the reference.
otnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I have never heard of a Ford Lehman with only raw water cooling, but if you have one then the expansion tank wouldn’t really serve a purpose.

Do you not have a good sized heat exchanger on the back of the engine? It would be about 3-4” in diameter and maybe 16” long?

Ken
Ok yeah it's my misunderstanding of how the cooling system works ...I thought it was just raw straight water going through the engine when I guess I misunderstood how it works there is antifreeze in the engine and the raw water passes by the antifreeze to cool it down....I totally misunderstood how it worked I was thinking the heat exchanger was raw water passing by hot oil to cool the oil down ....so my bad yes there is coolant lol it's just me being new to the lehman 120 and not fully understanding it all just yet
Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: St. Joseph
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post

David
Are you saying that the air pocket issue around #6 cannot be avoided or remedied WITHOUT the AD recovery system? What's the mechanism of the fault?

Thanks.
cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: Bainbridge Island Washington
Vessel Name: Elmore
Vessel Model: 1890 Custom Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whgoffrn View Post
I've just purchased a 37' trawler with a single lehman 120 and while it runs good now I plan to do maintenance on it and protect from future problems.....from all I've read the Lehman's seem to be good engines as long as you do proper maintenance but 1 common problem I see is cylinder 6 getting hot and destroying piston .....besides making sure there is proper clean oil in the engine and its getting good water and the heat exchangers are working good..... is there any after market products or ways to ensure that #6 cylinder stays cool to protect it?
The best thing you can do towards operational reliability is pull an oil sample after taking a run on oil that has at least 25 hours on it (optimum is to have it at the end of the interval you plan to use to change oil or filter) and send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis and to start your baseline. They will be able to tell you about that piston getting hot, or bearings wearing through, cams or injector pump wear/spalling... before you get to the the failure point, indeed you find out when the problem will be the very cheapest possible to fix.
Caphenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Could one drill and tap a hole in the back of the block (where #6 cyl. is) and route it back to the water pump intake. Using a bronze threaded to hose barb fitting should be fairly easy to install. Coolant flow over all the cylinders should increase. And if the hole/fitting is high enough the air would be pumped out as well.
One could use a mini version say 1/4” just to deal w the air collecting at #6.

A bit if research may turn up other solutions as many/most engines are hot at the rear cylinder. How do other people cope when it becomes a problem?
You may find (for example) that most engines extend the water jacket aft a bit to provide extra coolant volume ..... ???

Buying a boat w a Perkins engine is another thought.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I talked to the guys at A.D about it and they said it's not nearly as common as what message forums claim....they said when that happens there are other warning signs that are often ignored like other cylinders getting hot first ...kinda makes some sense why would cylinder 1 be 180 and number 6 be 300 yes im sure number 6 can be warmer than the others if clogged but the other cylinders would get warmer also....I talked to them about putting an sensor at #6 and they said that may help but it would be mounted external and have some variances in temp and may or may not be a good indicator if there was a problem...I asked about routing more fluid to 6 and also makes sense that what I route to 6 gets routed away from another cylinder so now I may have new issues at a different cylinder....they said as long as coolant was flushed regularly and I had good water flow and that I paid attention to heat temp gauge I should never have a problem so I guess I'll just go with that...
I may get the expansion tank at some point in hopes that maybe if there was an air bubble in 6 jacket maybe it would come up into the expansion tank....not completely sure I understand how the expansion tank would help serve to eliminate that issue
Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Bainbridge Island Washington
Vessel Name: Elmore
Vessel Model: 1890 Custom Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Could one drill and tap a hole in the back of the block (where #6 cyl. is) and route it back to the water pump intake. Using a bronze threaded to hose barb fitting should be fairly easy to install. Coolant flow over all the cylinders should increase. And if the hole/fitting is high enough the air would be pumped out as well.
One could use a mini version say 1/4” just to deal w the air collecting at #6.

A bit if research may turn up other solutions as many/most engines are hot at the rear cylinder. How do other people cope when it becomes a problem?
You may find (for example) that most engines extend the water jacket aft a bit to provide extra coolant volume ..... ???

Buying a boat w a Perkins engine is another thought.
No, what one would do is pull the head and drill through a new passage set through the block deck and head, joining the water jackets and providing normalized flow.
Caphenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, FL
Used this to fill my SP275 after overhaul.

https://www.harborfreight.com/coolin...kit-64985.html
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
An EGT sensor would probably give you quicker warning of overheating condition than block sender. If you were totally OCD you could attach thermocouples near each injector.
SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #19
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Borel Manufacturing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
An EGT sensor would probably give you quicker warning of overheating condition than block sender. If you were totally OCD you could attach thermocouples near each injector.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I have never heard of a Ford Lehman with only raw water cooling, but if you have one then the expansion tank wouldn’t really serve a purpose....Ken
There were several IG32s here with twin 4cyl Lehmans directly sea water cooled. We looked at one, broker started the engines, some odd bits of stuff(?shell) came out of the exhaust.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote