FL 120 lift pump - flow through?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. meridian. Ahh....something I hadn't considered. GOOD idea although at one point in the recent past I had to mechanically agitate the crud at the bottom of my Racors, with a long plastic cable tie to unpack it in order to drain the crud. So you're planning to put this electric pump before the Racor? In series or parallel? If in series, the question arises is the mechanical pump strong enough to draw fuel through the, not used all the time, electrical pump?

Agreed....crud does often form and I don't think forcing fuel through it is going to help as the whole idea of the turbine is to spin the flow of fuel so stuff settles out into the bowl.

The easiest way I have found to clean the bowl without disassembly is to unscrew the whole drain assembly and use a bottle brush up in there.

A pump will not get that crud out. It didn't get it out on my series installed pump.

My experience

After converting to an electric pump (Wahlbro FRB-9) to transfer fuel between tanks, and do a "poor mans polishing system" the pump on the engine started leaking diesel fuel after about five hours of operation due, in my opinion, to the increased feed pressure created by the pump.

I removed it, and ran the pump output directly to the first filter on the engine.

No problem at all since. I fabricated a simple cover for the hole where the pump was.

Electric fuel pumps have been powering cars and trucks for twenty years...

Agreed....crud does often form and I don't think forcing fuel through it is going to help as the whole idea of the turbine is to spin the flow of fuel so stuff settles out into the bowl.

The easiest way I have found to clean the bowl without disassembly is to unscrew the whole drain assembly and use a bottle brush up in there.

That reminds me, where do you get a bottle brush these days?

Baby bottle brush at any decent grocery store.

Just read the service manual and my guess is....

I don't think thats the way the check valves work...any pressure greater than a few psi on the inlet side should be enough to let fuel pass freely through this kind of pump. The diaphram would create a slight vacuum, inside the pump , then a slight pressure to open and close the valves...I think these diaphram pumps operate on very low pessures so any electric fuel pump would pump freely through it.
I think i said that wrong....thanks. What i meant was the fuel already on the outlet side of the pump should stay there if there is a check valve in good working order at the lift pump.

I think i said that wrong....thanks. What i meant was the fuel already on the outlet side of the pump should stay there if there is a check valve in good working order at the lift pump.

Still don't know what you mean...if you put a pump in line with it at even a few psi...it should flow through...

Still don't know what you mean...if you put a pump in line with it at even a few psi...it should flow through...
you are right it will. All i was saying if there is a check valve then when there is no presure the fuel in the line above the check valve should stay there and not drain back into the tank because the valve only allows flow in one direction..

I finished my layout and yes, the FL120 is a flow thru pump. I didn't have the room to position my valves the way I wanted but it will work.

Attachments

• DSCN0210_1902.jpg
    DSCN0210_1902.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 56
Now all you need is to label or number the valves and paint the valve positions to obtain a desired result near the valves.

It may not be you or a rational experienced sea mechanic that is sent below to change the flow path.

Back
Top Bottom