Filter problem Cummins qsb 5.9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

From here it is difficult to buy fleatguard filters on Cummins engine:banghead:.

Have you experience the Donaldson P Series Filters for Oil and Fuel.

The fuel filter Fleatguard is 2 microns and Donaldson 3 microns, is it practical with a 1 micron difference:confused:?

Cummins determined to use a 2 micron fuel filter and thought about getting Donaldson filters because it was easier to buy here.

Donaldson oil filter P558615
Donaldson fuel P550774

NBs

Last edited:
Donaldson is a reputable company, they make all sorts of industrial filtration. I don't think there would be a measurable difference in fuel cleanliness going from a 2mic to a 3mic, but to make that determination with certainty would require getting into the technical protocols used for the specific filter ratings.

If you have a warranty on the engine and have an injection problem, you may have trouble if the techs see a non-specified fuel filter.

Do the Donaldson filters directly cross-reference to the Fleetguard units? As in Donaldson states they are equivalent?

Yes, they cross reference as to fit. All filters come is thread size, base gasket diameter, body diameter, and body height. Howver, there will be differences in filter media and filter efficiency.

Thanks for the answers,

I bought Donaldson filters and they are in theory crossed with Fleetguard filters.

The fuel filter sealing principle is different, as Donaldson does not use a small seal in the inner thread such as a flea guard.

Both of these signs are unknown and the difference of 1 micron filtration will not be discovered until spring 2018 when I can start boating again. Here started winter, yesterday came the first snow 15 cm.

NBs

I stock up on Cummins Fleetguard fuel and oil filters with online orders to Seaboard Marine. I buy 2 or 3 of each filter to keep a supply handy. I also installed the Seaboard SeaMax raw water pump (Sherwood replacement), and pick up a couple of impellers for the pump (changed every 2 years). Even with shipping, online price is usually about the same as picking up filters at a local Cummins distributor.

I'd say figure a way for Fleetgaurd. Even with reputable fuel suppliers, fuel can be an issue. One of my least favorite things is standing on my head at sea fixing fuel problems.

I stock up on Cummins Fleetguard fuel and oil filters with online orders to Seaboard Marine. I buy 2 or 3 of each filter to keep a supply handy. I also installed the Seaboard SeaMax raw water pump (Sherwood replacement), and pick up a couple of impellers for the pump (changed every 2 years). Even with shipping, online price is usually about the same as picking up filters at a local Cummins distributor.

Thanks for the tip:thumb:, I bought a water pump Seaboard seamax earlier.

The problem is freight costs and customs duties. Cargo is in the order of $ 200 US-Finland so a few filters are not worth buying US. Now I go with Donaldson filters, I'm trying to find a cheap Fleatguard distributor from Europe, so the cargo is in the range of $ 5-20 and is acceptable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom