Exhaust/water separator.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not used one but most people seem to agree that they work well. Let us know how it goes if you do it.

I never ran mine without one, but I’ve had multiple other gen sets without

It. Is. Amazing.

This was one of the key parts of making the generator nearly silent. Combined with good mounts and a sound shield, you will be really happy with it.

They work well. One down-side is that it becomes more difficult to verify water flow.

What Ghost Says. Needs to be mounted above the waterline and you will need a new thru-hull below the WL

:socool:

It. Is. Amazing. This was one of the key parts of making the generator nearly silent. Combined with good mounts and a sound shield, you will be really happy with it.

Another option might be to up-size and maybe lengthen the exhaust run after the water lift muffler. Also consider adding an inline muffler before the exit. All of those will help smooth the water flow and lead to a steadier stream of water with less splashing.

IRENE has one and we like it. Our air exhaust is RIGHT at the waterline, which causes bubbling and such. That bubbling is noisier than the generator. We will be moving it higher at the next haul out (or when I get to it). I recommend you consider your air exhaust location with this in mind.

You can hear the raw water discharge inside the boat if you listen carefully. It retains the same “rythm” from the waterlift, so its easy to identify. Our gensep is behind a settee layered with cushions, so if underway we need to stick our ear in the cabinet behind the settee to verify water flow. We always check oil pressure and water flow upon start up. I wouldn’t own a RW cooled generator without one, its that good.

Thanks for all of your comments! It’s definitely on the to-do list.

Jim

The gen sep is a no brainer for reducing noise for 3 reasons:

Longer overall exhaust run. The longer the run the less noise when the exhaust finally exits the vessel

More torturous path. Along with the additional run most installations end up with a combined 360* of turns, each turn reduces noise.

Elimination of splash noise. Self explanatory and significant

Some high end gen seps incorporate a muffler/resonator section that further reduce noise.

Along with secondary isolators this is an important part of a quiet generator installation.

:socool:

Back
Top Bottom