Error in Westerbeke 7.6 BDT Manual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyB

Veteran Member
Was reading Operators Manual about draining & filling coolant. This is from manual.
"Refilling the Coolant
After replacing the engine block drain plug, close the heat exchanger's coolant petcock. Then run the engine at idle and slowly pour clean, premixed coolant into the manifold.
Monitor the coolant in the manifold and add as needed."

It tells you to run engine at idle while it's dry & add coolant. It runs at 1800 rpm which isn't idle speed. Second I would never add liquid to a dry, running engine. Maybe I'm missing so.ething.

Adding to a dry engine is no big deal if it is cold and at idle...but like you said....it isn't just the engine...it is a genset ant runs right up to 1800 rpm.

Might be ok, but I wouldn't chance it...put about 3/4 of the recommended amount in and slowly add the rest.

Manual covers propulsion engines too, hence the idle statement. Just fill it, start it, then keep topping up as it warms up. Put cap on, make sure circ pump warms up with engine, meaning it is circulating. Shut down, let cool, top up.

Also make sure the vent path from pressure cap to recovery bottle is not blocked. Common problem on these.

Thanks. I think mannual showed to use a pipe cleaner. Never would have thought of that little passage being a problem.

Back
Top Bottom