Engine wiping oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry but after working my tail off the ensure are fuel systems at completely leak-proof and the bilges and engine room cleaned of diesel to the point that I can (and HAVE) smelled a single drop of diesel in there, the thought of wiping the engine with that nasty stuff is pure anathema to me. There are far less obnoxious and equally or more effective chemicals mentioned above.

My Wendy would certainly agree with you there!!!! And I do too!

I do to and hence why I started this thread in the first place. Personally I found diesel to be the best wiping agent overall, except I couldn’t stand the smell any longer.

My Jimmies didn’t leak too bad, so I would wipe with a soapy rag and rinse with the freshwater hose in my engine room. But I always thought that applying some sort of wiping oil would be better, especially when sitting long term.

My outboards have been easy... wash with freshwater, air dry then spray with WD40.

Two things work well in my experience. first is motorcycle chain oil. Sprays on, then thickens. So it gets everywhere and stays put. Just wipe off excess. Does not really attract dirt as much as you'd think.

Second is a product called Fluid Film https://www.fluid-film.com/

I think every farmer in the country knows about it. I buy it by the gallon, and thin it with WD 40 so I can spray with squirt bottle.

toni

Back
Top Bottom