Engine in, still doesn't run yet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, double check that distributor is not installed 180deg out. With rotor tip aiming at #1 and timing mark at zero, #1 could be at TDC firing or TDC valve overlap. If at valve overlap, it will not start.
When the crank & cam are installed with the timing marks lined up that is 180 deg out of firing for #1. The idea was that you line up the marks and then go through rotation to set valve lash. When you are done now the engine is set for #1 firing. I have seen many guys line up the marks and think that is when they install the distributor for #1 firing. It is not.

When the crank & cam are installed with the timing marks lined up that is 180 deg out of firing for #1. The idea was that you line up the marks and then go through rotation to set valve lash. When you are done now the engine is set for #1 firing. I have seen many guys line up the marks and think that is when they install the distributor for #1 firing. It is not.

Yeah, I'm not sure where my marks were. I did compression check first, after installing heads. I used a compression gauge to see when #1 was on the compression stroke. That is when I set my distributor to point at #1 wire. We got it fixed now. I changed the reverse rotation starter.

The engines are 1980's models. Both flywheels are in the rear. The starter is on the right hand side (when viewed from the rear) on both engines... and turns the flywheel clockwise. I thought that the reverse rotation engines have timing gears, instead of a chain.

You were right! Thanks fir the help. I had the wrong starter!

Back
Top Bottom