Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #81
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I know what you mean. However, I've never been a fan of the 4D and 8D batteries. The more I look at it, the AGM 902 or L16s look like a good match for my needs. I am also used to banks of 6v batteries since that is what I have had on my past two sailboats.

Then again, I could just throw in some VRLA wet cells 8Ds and call it good. ("throw" may not be the right term however).

Seems to me about the "easiest" solution would be AGM 8Ds, assuming you have somebody else hump the weight.

Use the same box(es) you've already got with no modifications, no new interconnects, no worries about off-gassing, no subsequent maintenance tail and no watering system required (contributing mightily to that "easiest" adjective).

Assumes capacity will be sufficient, and assumes your wallet will stand the gaff.

From what you've said about not having time to be away from the dock as much as you'd like, seems like capacity could be fine.

And you wouldn't necessarily have to buy premium AGMs. If, sometime down the pike, you decide capacity isn't sufficient, you could replace worn-out non-premium AGMs with a better engineered system that might meet your needs better going forward from there....

Just thinking out loud on your behalf...

-Chris
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #82
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
All good points Chris.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #83
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
A little update...

As you may recall, the reason my electronic Cummins QSB was running rough was the Balmar Duo Charge, which I had reconnected, gave the Cummins ECU indigestion. I had gone back to the Blue Seas ACR.

Nothing wrong with the Blue Seas ACR, but I never liked the idea of sharing all the charging action to house bank with a simple start battery. Tonight I hooked up a Xantrex Echo Charger.

The Echo Charger is very similar to the Duo-Charge but dumber. It simply will provide up to 15 amps of charge to the start battery whenever there is over 13v at the house battery. I believe it does this at the same voltage that is being supplied to the house bank.

Simple to install, just three wires. Once installed it started to work and upon starting, the engine ran just fine. So for now anyway, I am going to stay with the Echo Charger and following some advice that Bruce B gave me, not make any other changes right away. Another suggestion of his, remove the offending Duo Charge. That I also did tonight.

FWIW, I really like the Duo Charge and currently have two of them, one charging the thruster bank and the other charging the genset battery.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote