Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #61
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Well, I hope you are done with that fiasco. Time to go out and enjoy the boat and the weather!
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #62
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Crazy story!

Completely unrelated story time...as a photographer I once changed my enlarger light source, developer, and paper at the same time. Took me months to get straightened away and producing consistently again. From then on I only change one element at a time, test, assess results, and either adopt the change or go back and try another way.

Only somewhat applicable to boat systems...

Wish you years of smoooooth running
Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #63
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Love it when a problem is solved.

Even when you bought some parts you didn't need.

Good thing those mechanics have "rounds" to discuss cases.

Ken
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #64
Guru

City: West Coast
I had a very similar problem. Some of my Twin Disc EC-300 control heads (of which there are 6 on my boat) would occasionally boot up "backwards" -- so that, for example, I can have control on a wing station, then switch to the pilot house only to find that putting the gears into forward would have the effect of selecting reverse. There was absolutely no pattern to this failure. It could happen at any station, and whether or not that station was the selected station when the system was started up. No one could figure it out. Turned out it was a low voltage condition (everything runs off the house bank) that wasn't otherwise noticeable -- there was enough voltage to run the starters, and none of the electronics (or bow thruster) ever shut down from low voltage. But when the capacity of the batteries became too limited, I replaced them and the problem went away.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #65
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Well I reckon you learned a lot about your engine!!! Glad this is over with!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #66
Guru

City: Vermont
Welcome to the club of really, really odd problems. I thought I was the only one who got them.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #67
Guru

That is a painful lesson!
I assume that the problem didn't manifest itself with the introduction of the Duo Charge? It was fine for some time after that change?
Really strange!
I remember when we were investigating charging options for our boat, hearing from a Balmar engineer about something to do with incompatibility of their regulators on Cummins Common Rail injected engines.
I asked Cummins and they were aware of the issue but promised that they were well beyond this issue with the current designs. I believe that there was some kind of rf interference that wrecked havoc with the control module of the engine.
I wonder if this is what you ran into?
Curious,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #68
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
TTree

It really not an exclusive club, any boat owner in time will have their own story to tell. ��
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #69
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
That duo-charge thing may be using high frequency oscillators to do voltage conversion, and put some noise into the DC buss. Engine apparently does not like it.

A bit puzzling as engine electronics should be designed to filter out such noise. Maybe the frequency of the noise was just right (wrong).

Got an oscilloscope handy??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #70
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ski

"Got an oscilloscope handy??"

Your kidding I presume as I wouldn't know what to do with or be be able to spell oscilloscope. ��
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #71
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	64958

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #72
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Engine running very rough QSB 5.9L

Bruce, you are right. The problem didn't occur right after I made that change to the Duo Charge. If it had, it is something that I would have thought of right away.

As I have mentioned before, my house bank is getting tired. This weekend we are on the hook and the battery bank didn't even make it through a 1/3 of the night powering my wife's CPAP. Normally, it will go all night without a problem AND make coffee in the morning without having to turn on the genset. Just a WAG butt maybe the declining health of the house bank is an issue.

This morning I couldn't find my multimeter. I may have inadvertently taken it off the boat. It is now time that I get serious about deciding which way to go on the battery replacement.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #73
Guru

Once small, and expensive plus to this whole sorry affair is that with the new injectors I am getting at least another 100 rpm at the same fuel flow as I did before.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #74
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Once small, and expensive plus to this whole sorry affair is that with the new injectors I am getting at least another 100 rpm at the same fuel flow as I did before.
Holy logic!(Bat)

Happy for you, the mystical problem QSB was removed. Could never have thought of a problem causing altenator.

Thank you for sharing this problem and solution for TF.
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #75
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Balmar has had a huge quality control issue lately, their alternator regulators are hugely unreliable, like Xantrex.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Balmar has had a huge quality control issue lately, their alternator regulators are hugely unreliable, like Xantrex.
When I bought the boat I found a new Balmar Alt regulator still in the box. At some point the PO had bought it but never installed it.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #77
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dave

Be very careful with your "new" house bank and other battery setups. You may find yourself in a similar pickle.

If you merely replaced what you currently have for batteries, you know what you are getting. Resist the new better battery gizmo setup because we TF ites talked you into it, with of course no skin in the game on our part.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Dave

Be very careful with your "new" house bank and other battery setups. You may find yourself in a similar pickle.

If you merely replaced what you currently have for batteries, you know what you are getting. Resist the new better battery gizmo setup because we TF ites talked you into it, with of course no skin in the game on our part.
Ahhh, a nice summation of the danger of listening to forum "experts"....
Bruce
Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Dave

Ahhh, a nice summation of the danger of listening to forum "experts"....
Bruce
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Dave

I know what you mean. However, I've never been a fan of the 4D and 8D batteries. The more I look at it, the AGM 902 or L16s look like a good match for my needs. I am also used to banks of 6v batteries since that is what I have had on my past two sailboats.

Then again, I could just throw in some VRLA wet cells 8Ds and call it good. ("throw" may not be the right term however).

Dave
SPOT page