Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You haven't posted anything that shows him an expert on oil analysis. It worked for me; it works for many others on this forum; sorry it doesn't seem worthwhile for your expert.

Ted
I'm with Diver on this one. All the link proves is that if you do a lousy job of gathering the oil for analysis you may not get much. If it's not been run since an oil change, then go run it before taking the sample. I've seen too many people saved by oil samples and fluid sampling in general to dismiss them casually. Is a program better than a single sample? Of course. But a sample is much better than nothing. The analysis is one tool and a valuable one.

Plus it costs virtually nothing in the total picture. Why skimp on that?
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #22
Guru
 
North Baltic sea's Avatar
 
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Let me interject
I have an opinion on this (surprise) and some sample reports at
Oil Analysis, Worth the money .... maybe.
Good writing you on your link. I think for that reason we are here is not the kind of service, the industry, the ships make their own TNB test of its oil. boating a lot of money holes all the time, rather than the money supply concrete "snake oil".

Now me being shot
__________________

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #23
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
As for the $8 tests, sorry but I suspect you are not getting much. Could be wrong of course.

Suit yourself, of course, however, I am confident with the results. Their lab is onsite more for their own use as they are a huge CAT Diesel repair shop and it is a huge benefit for them to have one. They aren't in the business of only doing tests for the general public as the mail-in laps are, so they just don't charge much for it. When I pickup the results, the tech happily explains the results and helps me understand what they have found... should there be any questionable findings.

I will see if I can dig up an old report for yall to look at and maybe, next time, I will do a side-by-side with yall's suggested mail-in place too. I am up on an oil change period (want to do it this winter) so I am in a good position to try this.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #24
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,122
Didn't think there was anything that cost less than $20 at a Cat dealership.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #25
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Didn't think there was anything that cost less than $20 at a Cat dealership.

Ted
you forgot a zero....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #26
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Suit yourself, of course, however, I am confident with the results. Their lab is onsite more for their own use as they are a huge CAT Diesel repair shop and it is a huge benefit for them to have one. They aren't in the business of only doing tests for the general public as the mail-in laps are, so they just don't charge much for it. When I pickup the results, the tech happily explains the results and helps me understand what they have found... should there be any questionable findings.

I will see if I can dig up an old report for yall to look at and maybe, next time, I will do a side-by-side with yall's suggested mail-in place too. I am up on an oil change period (want to do it this winter) so I am in a good position to try this.

Good. I was not aware of any like that. I use the local Cat SOS lab , also for work when I was working, and none of the test kits came any where close to $8. If it works, fine, better for you.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Member
 
City: Portland,or
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7
So OPS1 is a great company for oil testing .they also have a oil system to clean the oil to. Love it on our boat a no in my but truck.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
BIG CAT's Avatar
 
City: Kiln,MS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Didn't think there was anything that cost less than $20 at a Cat dealership.

Ted




Oil sample cost at my dealer is $16, coolant is $15, fuel is $93
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
BIG CAT's Avatar
 
City: Kiln,MS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Good. I was not aware of any like that. I use the local Cat SOS lab , also for work when I was working, and none of the test kits came any where close to $8. If it works, fine, better for you.
if that place does any warranty work. they would be required to meet cat standards.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #30
Guru
 
IRENE's Avatar
 
City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Plus it costs virtually nothing in the total picture. Why skimp on that?
Great point. Even for my little boat, the expense is minimal.

When it comes time to sell IRENE, I am confident there are buyers that will realize value in the documentation that 100-hour analysis provides.
__________________

IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×