Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
RE: Engine Life

My '73 Lehman has 4600 hours on it if you believe the hour meter. I had the injector pump rebuilt 5 yr ago when I bought the boat, and just posting this is probably a jinx, but the engine performs flawlessly. Annual oil changes usually 100-150 hours) and 50 hr change on the injector pump. No smoke, doesn't run hot. My fingers are crossed.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
My '73 Lehman has 4600 hours on it if you believe the hour meter. I had the injector pump rebuilt 5 yr ago when I bought the boat, and just posting this is probably a jinx, but the engine performs flawlessly. Annual oil changes usually 100-150 hours) and 50 hr change on the injector pump. No smoke, doesn't run hot. My fingers are crossed.
I have a friend that lives in FL and has a GB 36.* He is a retired service manager from a large BMW dealership.* He told me a couple of years back that when he was looking at boats and heard that these engines would run for over 10k hours he just laughed and was sure it was hog wash.

He is now in the 4,500 range on his Lehman and says that 10-15k hours are well with in range if he would have the boat that long.* He would not have believed it without owning one him self.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
Willy wrote:
Issues with inboard power for me have always been associated with the marinized part of the product.

The base engines when treated OK can go for a long long time.

Raw water pumps, water cooled manifolds, oil coolers, risers, heat exchanger issues can and will destroy a solid power plant fast.

But thats been my experience. You know from the school of hard knocks.

Old gas or diesel power plants can be cheap to rebuild and end up very reliable.

The marinized part not so much.
*yep
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Engine Life

Quote:
JD wrote:

He is now in the 4,500 range on his Lehman and says that 10-15k hours are well with in range if he would have the boat that long.* He would not have believed it without owning one him self.*
While the question that started this thread is about the life of gas engines, not diesels, I will add this little factoid to the diesel life discussion.* I dont't like the FL 120 for a number of reasons but longevity is not one of them.* A number of years ago I was having a phone conversation with Bob Smith of Ameican Diesel about the stock raw water pumps on our two FL120 and the best thing to replace them with.* In the course of the converstation we got around to the longevity of the FL120.* He told me that in recreational service, assuming regular use, proper operation, and proper service and maintenance, the engine should be good for 12,000 to 14,000 hours before needing a core overhaul.

He also told me that this engine was used in some of the Washington State Ferries way back when.* Not for propulsion, of course, but running pumps or generators, I don't remember which he said.* And these engines went some 25,000 hours before needing a core overhaul.* Of course, they were in near-contnuous service at a constant, conservative rpm.* And they received very frequent monitoring, servicing, and prompt mainenance when it was required.

More recently, I have a friend in Hawaii who owns, among other things, a small fleet of longline tuna boats.* These are mostly about 70 feet long and they go out for a month or so at a time, come home, unload, restock, and go right back out again.* They have one engine, a Volvo turbocharged intercooled dlesel which alslo provides hydraulic power for the longline gear, and a Northern Lights generator that powers the boats' refrigeration systems.* The propulsion engine is run the entire time the boat is at sea.* Maximum rpm used is 1,500 he said.* He has had these boats in operation for many years, and he said that he gets really pissed off if an engine goes less than 30,000 hours between overhauls.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 16th of February 2012 02:09:25 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

here is an excellent article about duty ratings :

http://sbmar.com/main/articles/conti...t_perspective/
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

It is hard to believe Tony has problems understanding the concept of maximum continuous power. It has been the reality of aircraft engines and large marine engines for generations.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote