Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Bad Oil HX-Check my math

Six weeks ago I topped off the oil on each engine with 1 qt. 3 wks/11 hrs later, I had to add 2 Qts of oil to the stbd engine. Today, another 3 wks and 11 hrs, I had to add another 2 qts. I've noticed a sheen on the water during this period, but I attributed it to cold engine idling with a sheen of fuel until the girls warm up a bit. Or maybe she needs a valve adjustment. Now I believe I have a leaking engine oil heat exchanger.

I've heard of these leaking and causing the oil level to rise due to raw water in the oil. In my case, it seems I've got the opposite...oil in the raw water. If so, I'm glad it failed this way and not the other!!

Here's the culprit.

NA004100CN Perkins 9" marine dual oil cooler Sen-dure 2299 2 7

I was actually very relieved to see it's only about $300. I was expecting much worse. So I'm planning on picking one up locally on Monday. Does that seem about right? Am I missing something else on a Perkins 4.236 85?

PS. No oil leaks beyond the norm of any 40 yr old Perkins with 3300 hrs. No smoke.

Thanks for the assist.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Friend of mine had his fail about two years ago. I don't remember what he paid but I don't remember it being exorbitant or I would have heard.
It too was the 4-236
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Al
Check the inside diameter of you raw water hoses that hook up to it as my Perkins 6.3544M used the Sen-dure but it had 1 1/8" raw water.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
TF Site Team

C, Thx. There's also very good access and simple mechanics. I'm hoping for a smooth replacement.

Mike, I'll check but I think 1 1/2" is right. They're only 9 inches long, though.

Does anyone know of a good source for a 2-3 ft length of silicone hose that I could cut as needed to update the connections?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
C, Thx. There's also very good access and simple mechanics. I'm hoping for a smooth replacement.

Hope so too. Let us know. I've never had a "smooth replacement" of anything on my boat. Except for replacing the occasional bottle of rum. [emoji1]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Yes the 9" is the tube stack length, they have lots of different lengths and inlet sizes for Perkins on the Sen-dure site.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #7

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Post #4,
McMaster Carr, or WW Grainger, any quality industrial supply house.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Have you cracked the water line leaving the cooler and checked the water for oil ?
2 qt in 11 hours would give more than just a sheen
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
Hope all works out.
One more reason I'm considering moving my harbor freight TIG to the boat.
CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #10
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Get a length of water hose and bypass the water flow around the cooler. Leave water nipples of the cooler unconnected. Run engine with no water through cooler and see if any oil drips out. Or take it off and do a bench pressure check by pressurizing the oil side to say 50psi with air pressure and oil in the shell side.

You want to make sure there is a leak as 2qt in 11hrs is not outrageous. Cooler might be fine.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #11
Memorial Member

Come on Al! You are Jet pilot and mechanic. This is not rocket science.
Of course Exwife #1 who was one might disagree.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #12
Memorial Member

NASA rocket scientist I meant, sorry.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Perkins wised up 15 years or more ago and went with a coolant cooled HX with the Sabre marinization design.

If your cooler is indeed bad Al, suggest you change the one on the other engine too.

It would be interesting to observe the oil temps with and without the cooler. If you bypass as Ski suggests you'll have an interesting data point. Perkins found their engines often over cooled the oil when using RW exchangers.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Perkins wised up 15 years or more ago and went with a coolant cooled HX with the Sabre marinization design.

If your cooler is indeed bad Al, suggest you change the one on the other engine too.

It would be interesting to observe the oil temps with and without the cooler. If you bypass as Ski suggests you'll have an interesting data point. Perkins found their engines often over cooled the oil when using RW exchangers.
I really thought about canning my oil cooler on the Lehman too as cool as I run it....especially when running the bus heater.

Very tempting, but I also haven't run the engine hard or in extremely hot weather either.

Fortunately Lehman coolers are pretty inexpensive at around $100 IIRC.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
TF Site Team

OK, I pulled it this morning. The RW ends are 1 1/4" and the RW lines are 1 1/8". I could easily accommodate the 1 1/2" size with these silicone reducers.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...Tj8aAna98P8HAQ

I didn't notice the presence of oil in the water side of the cooler, but not much water flowed out when disconnected. I'm replacing it anyway. If time permits, I might plug one end of the oil side and apply water pressure to the other end of the oil side to see if it leaks. If I get to it, I'll report back.

Both oil coolers will be replaced. I like the idea of being able to bypass the cooler if needed to get home when underway, so I'll be stocking hoses suitable to bypass the oil and water sides in my spares.

Hopefully I'll be able to find one locally on Monday. My BIL and his 12 yr old son are coming on the 12th for a fishing trip from the least coast. I'd like to have the boat running in case we get a break in the weather.

Ski, do you see a risk of local ops (within 1 hr) with both the engine and tranny oil coolers bypassed as an interim fix if a replacement cannot be obtained in time? If it's a problem, we may just have to enjoy a marina weekend unless the replacement comes through.

Thanks all!!

Old 01-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
At light load, engine can probably be run continuously without oil cooler. Look at your generator- no oil cooler. Some heat from the oil gets transferred to to coolant in the block.

Gear is not in same situation. Other than radiation and convection on the outside skin, there is no cooling. But also not much heat being created. Also at light load, it might be fine.

I'd have no problem doing a local run with no gear or engine oil cooler. Just don't push it and check it once in a while with temp gun. Gear skin temp limit to 200F, engine oil limit to say 240F at filter.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Thanks a million, Ski! That gives me a reasonable fallback solution for the short term, if needed. I also appreciate the temp numbers...I was kinda wondering about them after I posted.

Also, with twins, I'll be able to do side-by-side comparisons between the 2 engines.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
For hose and fitting found this one that has much anything and price looks right: New-Line Hose and Fittings
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Thanks, Lou. I'll take a look.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
TF Site Team

I was heading home from the boat with the oil cooler in hand and decided to stop at a nearby truck supply place for parts for a bypass. They had everything I needed for under $40.

18" of 1 1/8" hose...check.
2 nipples with compression fittings...check.

Then I made an immediate U turn back to the boat to install the bypass. It went as slick as greasy snot on a wet pig. I was done in under 30 mins so we're now up for local ops until the replacement arrives. Putting in the new one shouldn't take much longer than the bypass.

After a leak check, I checked the exhaust for oil and saw a few residual small drops that disappeared after about 5-10 minutes at idle. The engine got up to temp at high idle in the slip with no issues, but I didn't leave the dock or engage the transmission.

Thanks all and especially Ski and Sunchaser for helping me think outside the box for a short term solution. Now I can shop for the replacement with a little less pressure on last minute shipping and repair before the kid gets here.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Before.jpg   After.jpg