Electric Outboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outbo...Wcw&utm_content=190238533&utm_source=hs_email

she is looking good:)

Electric Ouboards are making big strides. I have a small one for my dinghy, but bigger ones are already avaialable and I'm sure the trend will continue. I hope everyone can watch this video, it's very interesting. Perhaps the most interesting design is the smallest one at the end of the video (although I'd prefer a better throttle control). Thoughts?

https://boattest.com/electric-outbo...Wcw&utm_content=190238533&utm_source=hs_email

I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.

As a small electric outboard motor owner, I think the future in displacement mode will be be owned by the electrics.

Not sure about the larger motors. It seems to me that battery cost will be prohibitive. There might be a market for auxiliary or redundant drive using the generator as a power source. But it looks like all the manufacturers are focused on speed as opposed to pushing in displacement mode.

Liked some of the features on the last model including the infinitely adjustable height, rotation lock, and disconnect from the transom. Power control, length, and awkwardness of size in transport were negatives. Think I'll stick with my Epropulsion for now.

Ted

a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.

I saw that too - very neat design. Agree with the skepticism on the throttle control though - nice that it appears to be easily adjustable for depth. Only thing I don't like about my ePropulsion Spirit is that the shaft is too long (remedied with a recent product update).

I think we'll see lots more innovation on this front as people realize that the form factor dictated by gasoline outboards doesn't need to be replicated. I think we'll see different propellors as the sector evolves as well, to take better advantage of the torque characteristics of electric motors.

I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?

Last edited:
I also have an eProp and agree the shaft is long. I should have ordered the "xs" size but the dealer recommended the "s" size. What is the product update you are talking about?

Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.

Shortly after I ordered my "s" size they introduced the "xs" which is what I would have preferred.

Agreed. I took the dealer's word for the S. I wish I had known and did some measuring when I ordered. So instead I row a little on and off the beach.

a stupid question...

if I have a 40KW outboard and want it to continually run. do i need a 40KW generator to keep it running.

That's basically it assuming you're not running on batteries - it gets a bit more complicated because you need to account for losses, you need to convert to the right voltage, and you need to account for transient (e.g. start) currents.

It doesn't really make sense to run a generator continuously to power an electric (or hydraulic) motor because of these losses - a shaft is simpler and more efficient. Tugboats and locomotives do run in this configuration because they need the massive startup torque electric motors can provide.

I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.

I've had several dingy size outboards. I prefer them to the problems of gas outboards. I connect the battery and it goes. No pulling on the start cord for 30 minutes before a trip to the repair shop where $300 seems to make it work again, for awhile. A battery is less trouble than gas. It's easier to recharge the battery than go looking for gas.

I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!

she is looking good:)

Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery

Last edited:
Great looking motor and some rather good innovations.
None of the motors indicate 'time' or distance on the battery

My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.

I totally agree, so long as you're okay with displacement speeds in your dinghy. I think we have a few years to go before it makes sense for planing speeds.

I have my boat on a mooring and my tender in the water - not having to flush the motor's cooling passages out was reason enough for me, and I'm not allowed over 5mph generally anyway so it was a real no-brainer. Ease of operation & quietness is a huge added bonus. Cruising for 6 weeks with no gasoline on board as well!

I have a Torqeedo that works fantastic for pushing a dinghy at displacement speed. However, with a new dinghy that my wife wanted to go faster, I got a 20hp gasser. I'd prefer electric, but like you, I don't think they are ready yet for the planing dinghy market.

Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete. :blush:

My eProp motor has a display that will tell you % of charge as well as time remaining. It also shows % of throttle you are currently at. The time remaining changes dramatically in relation to throttle. For example it might show 1 hour remaining at 100% throttle, but if I reduce it to 35%, time remaining may go up to 6 hours.

LOL the story of my life:socool:

Yes, that is a strong point of many electric motors.

Of course, since I just got the gas outboard, there will be a huge breakthrough this year making it obsolete. :blush:

:lol:

I think you can rest easy - the progress we're seeing in batteries (like solar and wind) is not really a result of breakthroughs, just a relentless march down the manufacturing learning curve. I do suspect that in 5 years or so we'll have batteries good and cheap enough to drive outboards for short to medium distance tender duty at planing speeds, and proven outboard electric motor chassis to match.

I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.

I would guess that small boats will be the last market that electric outboards will be adopted in. It's a lot easier to put 200 pounds of batteries on a 2000 pound bowrider than on a 200 pound dinghy.

Just thinking out loud (sort of) seems like it would make good sense for an auxillary engine on a sailboat instead of a small diesel (e.g. 15-20 HP). Sailboats are easily pushed at or below hull speed, generally don't have to motor all day, and the placement of the batteries could act as ballast and maybe reduce some traditional keel ballast. Also as seen in the video I posted, thre may be an opportunity to do some recharging by spinning the prop under sail.

Hasn’t Torqeedo been doing some of that with their Deep Blue series. Inboard, pod drive, saildrive, outboard.

I believe within 5 years over 90% of all new motors under 10 hp will be electric. Already seeing a shift on small lakes and ponds where a lot of small motors are used, much as a requirement of local laws.

I believe within 5 years over 90% of all new motors under 10 hp will be electric. Already seeing a shift on small lakes and ponds where a lot of small motors are used, much as a requirement of local laws.

I think that's what's driving all these European companies to develop these products. Inland lakes are a great initial market - shorter distances, very environmentally sensitive, don't need the power to pound through a swell, etc.

Seems a 10-20hp electric outboard would be about perfect for lake fishing - can use it as a trolling motor at low power all day, quiet, clean, etc.

I think that's what's driving all these European companies to develop these products. Inland lakes are a great initial market - shorter distances, very environmentally sensitive, don't need the power to pound through a swell, etc.

Seems a 10-20hp electric outboard would be about perfect for lake fishing - can use it as a trolling motor at low power all day, quiet, clean, etc.

Think about it, what size battery would a 10hp need? How much will that battery weigh? What size is it and where can I hide it on a 15ft RIB?

I will agree, the 2-3 hp with replaceable floating batteries does sound 'inviting'.
I think Torpedo makes such a motor. One batter for the trip out, one battery for the trip back

Also note that the largest producer of outboard motors does not manufacture any under 20 hp as Mercury has all theirs produced by Tohatsu. I would expect them (Brunswick) to purchase some electric manufacturers. They already own Lowrance and Motorguide and many companies in the battery charging and monitoring realms. They're very aggressive right now and this seems like a logical move.

Think about it, what size battery would a 10hp need? How much will that battery weigh? What size is it and where can I hide it on a 15ft RIB?

I will agree, the 2-3 hp with replaceable floating batteries does sound 'inviting'.
I think Torpedo makes such a motor. One batter for the trip out, one battery for the trip back

Torqeedo and ePropulsion both make 2-3hp motors like this (I own the ePropulsion version).

The higher power motors do require bigger batteries, but they are not prohibitively large - here's the e-propulsion 9.9hp line.

Looks like the motor plus the biggest battery pack is 260lbs versus maybe half that for a 10hp outboard + 5gal tank. So it's like a small extra passenger.

- Battery size is 22" x 10" x 19".
- Range is 22 miles at 15mph, 72 miles at 4mph

These are for a 12' aluminum boat with a single passenger, flat water - just like my fishing boat use case. Assuming they are somewhat accurate, it seems like a pretty good fit. Launch, blast 5m to fishing spot, poot around at 4mph all day until you're out of beer, blast 5m back. Perfect.

My opinion, eProp is superior to Torqeedo in several ways and cost less. The range is much greater than you think. Most people should not need multiple batteries unless you plan to travel 50 miles by dinghy in one outing. Check their website and you will see several example trips they conducted in the 15-20 mile range. For me, normal dinghy use is short trips to/from anchored spot to town or beach and sometimes just crusing around an anchorage for the fun of it. I've yet to come close to using the full capacity of the battery even over several days of normal use w/o charging.

Something to consider about the electrics re motor size. I run my OB engines at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle mostly due to noise and w single cylinder OB’s .. vibration.

But I’m assuming that none of this applies to electrics. I’ve never run one so I’m guessing but it must be the case. So for my 4hp application powering a 12’ rowboat I’d only need a 2hp electric. Just a thought.

Question sort of related .. if I was to power a boat w X amount of thrust and wanted Xx2 thrust of relatively non-regular occasions (going “back” bucking a headwind) how much would my electron consumption vary? Twice as much consumption for twice the output? Or is the consumption not linear?

Something to consider about the electrics re motor size. I run my OB engines at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle mostly due to noise and w single cylinder OB’s .. vibration.

But I’m assuming that none of this applies to electrics. I’ve never run one so I’m guessing but it must be the case. So for my 4hp application powering a 12’ rowboat I’d only need a 2hp electric. Just a thought.

Question sort of related .. if I was to power a boat w X amount of thrust and wanted Xx2 thrust of relatively non-regular occasions (going “back” bucking a headwind) how much would my electron consumption vary? Twice as much consumption for twice the output? Or is the consumption not linear?

Yes, the electrics are almost totally silent and vibe free from 0-100% power. A 1kW (1.34hp) ePropulsion would do fine for your 12' rowboat.

Electricity consumption is basically linear with power (kW), but not at all with speed (as we know from fuel consumption vs speed in our trawlers).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom