Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I wouldn't steal it, but I might copy it...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #22

City: Camarillo
RACOR - Dual filter with single control - What i run

alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Here's an old photo of mine from a couple of years back when I first got the boat prior to having the fuel polished.

Note the outlet pipe from the port side filter is smaller in diameter than the starboard filter. Not why this would be the case as they both lead to the same manifold which feeds the engine and genset. Both filters are the same size.

Perhaps it's just my simple mind but the collection of valves seems to make the entire configuration quite complicated to work through when you want to make adjustments.

Apologies to the OP as maybe I should have started a new thread but the line of inquiry is very similar.

Hope I can figure out how to display an image.

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
It does seem odd to have the two different diameters in those outlets.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"All these reasons are why I'm installing the dual Racors. We recently aquired this boat and one of the priorities was to upgrade the filter system. The last owners were marina dwellers but we aren't."

For a real upgrade relocate the filters out of the engine room , so when one needs to be changes its safer , and easier.

When a filter plugs it is usually bad fuel, or a buildup of crap on the tank walls that is now loose.

Both of these hassles usually require multiple filter changes , underway if thats where you are.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #26
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I would like to correct one comment, dead in the water in rough seas, the Kadey Krogen engine room is the least rolly part of the whole boat.
I have sat down there for extended periods just to have a little break.
Well, that was also because I had no heat on the boat at the time, so it was the only warm place on the boat too.

Any pictures of me hugging that Lehman while underway are probably fake news.

Seriously, I did remove the flame shields at the bottom of each filter. I weighed the risk and I decided it was more important for me to see exactly what is on the bottom each time I do an ER check.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Seriously, I did remove the flame shields at the bottom of each filter. I weighed the risk and I decided it was more important for me to see exactly what is on the bottom each time I do an ER check.

That was probably a good call. While I hate those shields and wouldn't remove them, in your situation with your recent crossing, I think it was a smart idea.

That is another advantage to FF suggestion of moving them out of the ER. They woudln't need the flame shields.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post

Same here. The racors are in a trough which is also the bilge. The heat shields made it harder to drain.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #29

City: Camarillo
Flame shields - removal

I think I will join you guys now & also remove the flame shields at the bottom of each filter.

I Agree that it is probably more important to see exactly what is on the bottom each time I do an ER check.

I agree with the decision weighing the risk and deciding it was more important for me to see exactly what is on the bottom of the fuel filter each time I do an ER check.

The fire danger where I have located my Filters which is a away from the engine is pretty small plus with a Haylon system in the ER fire is less of an issue to worry about compared to fuel filters clogging up.

So glad to hear I am not alone with this decision.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If you have a fire severe enough to burn through the bowl with out the flame shield, your boat is already toast. Silly feature.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The bowls aren't there to stop the boat from burning, they are there to give you time to either fight the fire of get off the boat. They are designed to give you a couple of minutes.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Here is a picture of my dual Racor set up. Mine is a single engine, one line in from the tanks, one line out to the engine, the selector to one or the other filter. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Racors mounted on side of fuel Enclosure.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"If you have a fire severe enough to burn through the bowl with out the flame shield, your boat is already toast. Silly feature."

Probably true , but if the insurance adjuster dives to inspect the boat, after the fire , he may be able to keep the company check book closed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Here is a question, how many are with vessels where Yuove never had bad fuel or plugged filters?

That asked, if you are bothered with prematurely plugged filters as a common issue, is it time to clean the tanks?

Last but not least, on a smaller diesel are you better off to have a single Racor 900 or two smaller 500s?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I think I will join you guys now & also remove the flame shields at the bottom of each filter.

I Agree that it is probably more important to see exactly what is on the bottom each time I do an ER check.

I agree with the decision weighing the risk and deciding it was more important for me to see exactly what is on the bottom of the fuel filter each time I do an ER check.

Mike, I said that I agreed with Richard's rational for Dauntless. Keep in mind however that he was doing ocean crossings in rough weather. Regular checks of the fuel bowls in a variety of conditions are a lot more critical in that situation than in mine where I have good fuel, inland water, and am in range of assistance if needed. I won't be removing the heat shields from my bowls because I don't have the same need that Richard did.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Last but not least, on a smaller diesel are you better off to have a single Racor 900 or two smaller 500s?

Good question. Being ignorant, I'll answer the question. :-)

I would go with dual 500s with a small diesel. I think dual 500s with plenty of filters would provide more security than a single 900 with plenty of filters.

On my sailboat with a 56hp Yanmar, I only had a single 500. Even though I only purchased fuel yearly, I never had any filter issues. Eventually I added a vacuum gauge but I also changed out the primary and secondary filters yearly.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Single 900.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Single 900.

Why Bill?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #39
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Here is a question, how many are with vessels where Yuove never had bad fuel or plugged filters?

That asked, if you are bothered with prematurely plugged filters as a common issue, is it time to clean the tanks?

In 17 years with this boat I've never had a fuel issue. I'm on the Great Lakes so I don't know if that changes things.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Why Bill?
Because I like the benefit of the much larger surface area of the 900 over the 500.

An engine shutting down due to bad fuel is a pretty rare occurrence. The 900s large surface area along with reasonable element change out times makes that an even rarer occurrence.

Now for a boat that is really going to do some real offshore cruising or out in the boonies stuff, I'd have fault 900s.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote